Looking for interesting cross training ideas? (Read 1653 times)

Good thing I don't have a mountain bike...but I am starting to seriously eyeball some 'cross bikes.  Gotta beef-up my arm muscles some, too.

i ride a cross bike and i love it. i can ride the road on the way to the trails and jump right onto the gravel, dirt, grass, or whatever surface you want. im on the trek soho 1.0 and after i switched out the bars and pedals its a great ride.

i bet you can find a fairly lightweight ride too, even without spending a fortune.

SMART Approach

I do not like lime in beer either. I was at an Outback Steakhouse in Phoenix last week and they had a weird beer on tap. The waiter described it as Budweiser's version of Blue Moon. It looked and tasted the same as Blue Moon and the orange was awesome. It was a very weird name. Quite good - all 4 of those 16 ouncers.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So, what is it?  I might want to go for the gusto!

Bell's Oberon...even named my bike after the stuff! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do not like lime in beer either. I was at an Outback Steakhouse in Phoenix last week and they had a weird beer on tap. The waiter described it as Budweiser's version of Blue Moon. It looked and tasted the same as Blue Moon and the orange was awesome. It was a very weird name. Quite good - all 4 of those 16 ouncers.

Shock Top?  Yeah, it's not too bad.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i ride a cross bike and i love it. i can ride the road on the way to the trails and jump right onto the gravel, dirt, grass, or whatever surface you want. im on the trek soho 1.0 and after i switched out the bars and pedals its a great ride.

i bet you can find a fairly lightweight ride too, even without spending a fortune.

Our roads are maybe 10% nice asphalt, 60% rough chipseal and the rest are unpaved 2-track or gravel.  There are times where I wish I'd gone cross bike to begin with, since I often have to take weird routes to avoid the roads that aren't friendly to skinny tires.  

I will likely end up with something semi-custom, since the only bikes that have smaller brake/shifter levers stock are Terry--I don't think anyone else makes WSD cross bikes....and $3k for a Terry is a bit rich for my blood.  We'll probably see if we can get a frame and then something comparable to my 105 components.  Apparently SRAM has something new that is similar.  It won't likely cost any less than a stock bike, but the full-size brake levers would likely be a bit much for my smaller hands.  I have really narrow shoulders (my road bike has 38cm width bars), too, so the unisex handlebars would be too wide.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Shock Top?  Yeah, it's not too bad.

That's it! You sure know your beer!  Ha! You must be from WI   I need to sharpen up!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's it! You sure know your beer!  Ha! You must be from WI   I need to sharpen up!!!

Get on that, man! Wink Heh...nah, our awesome little local bar that was smoke-free long before it became law had it on tap.  I hadn't heard of it before then.  I don't think they do anymore, though.  Demand for Oberon pretty much killed it around here.

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

Oh, no...my very favorite beer is good with a slice of orange (it's similar to Blue Moon)...or without.  I just don't much care for lagers, Corona or otherwise.  I didn't start liking beers until I tried some ales and heavier beers.

Have you ever had Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan? It's a little heavier and oh so good...

http://www.lazymagnolia.com/SouthernPecan.html

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have you ever had Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan? It's a little heavier and oh so good...

http://www.lazymagnolia.com/SouthernPecan.html

No, but that sounds tasty.  Next time I get down South I will have to keep my eyes open.  Looks like they don't ship/distribute too far.

~ Sarah Kay

Our roads are maybe 10% nice asphalt, 60% rough chipseal and the rest are unpaved 2-track or gravel.  There are times where I wish I'd gone cross bike to begin with, since I often have to take weird routes to avoid the roads that aren't friendly to skinny tires.  

I will likely end up with something semi-custom, since the only bikes that have smaller brake/shifter levers stock are Terry--I don't think anyone else makes WSD cross bikes....and $3k for a Terry is a bit rich for my blood.  We'll probably see if we can get a frame and then something comparable to my 105 components.  Apparently SRAM has something new that is similar.  It won't likely cost any less than a stock bike, but the full-size brake levers would likely be a bit much for my smaller hands.  I have really narrow shoulders (my road bike has 38cm width bars), too, so the unisex handlebars would be too wide.

Shimano makes a "short reach" shifter in Ultegra also for small hands. I think you should be able to get a shim set for both the 105 and Ultegra that moves the brake level closer to the bars. Just throwing that out there.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shimano makes a "short reach" shifter in Ultegra also for small hands. I think you should be able to get a shim set for both the 105 and Ultegra that moves the brake level closer to the bars. Just throwing that out there.

Yup, I think that's what's on my road bike (Shimano 10-speed, ST-R700 w/reach adjust).  I'd like to look at Cannondale's CAAD8 CX 5, which would be comparably equipped to my road bike, but since it's unisex it has the Shimano 105 STI brake levers.  Any idea if bike companies will typically swap-out components in-factory?  That's one reason buying the frame and then spec'ing it out with what I know works is appealing.  I hate the saddles Cannondale uses, too.  I would probably get the same saddle I have on my road bike (Specialized BG Jett).

~ Sarah Kay

When you're at your LBS, tell them you want the ST-R700 levers swapped out as part of the deal. All the good LBS in our area would gladly swap them over for a sale.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When you're at your LBS, tell them you want the ST-R700 levers swapped out as part of the deal. All the good LBS in our area would gladly swap them over for a sale.

We're good friends with the owner of our LBS (he's the local JDRF head coach and my hubby is assistant coach.  He gave me 10% off on my bike, even though I'm not on the ride team...yet.  He's kinda like a drug-pusher, heh), so I'm sure he'd do it.  Wasn't sure if it was something ever done at the factory level.

~ Sarah Kay

I have no idea what you people are talking about.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I look my best blurry!

Goofy wannabe.  Beer.  No limes.  Bikes.  Pretty simple.