Brooks Adrenaline GTS12's from ASICS GT2160's (Read 2417 times)

juniordo1

Well, one of my two pairs of ASICS GT2160's has 400 miles on it and the other about 250 so I thought it was time to rotate a new pair  of shoes into the mix. As usual I tried on every stability shoe in the store and ended up buying the Adrenaline GTS 12's.  I never bring my old running shoes to the running store on the day of purchase or I can't buy new shoes because the new shoes don't fit exactly the same as the old.

Last year I agonized between the GTS11's and the 2160's  and I think I picked the 2160's because they felt more like my previous shoes, the Addidas Supernova Sequence 3's. I paid $10 more for the 12's than I paid last year for the 2160's.

Yesterday was a scheduled rest day but of course I had to try my new shoes. I was worried because the 12's feel firmer /less cushioned throughout and was worried about what my feet would say (yes I talk to my feet ). Moving back and forth from the 12's to the 2160's, the ASCS feel mushy inside and much clunkier. The areas of support feel much the same to me. I strapped on the 12's and headed out.

The first thing I noticed was the weight difference. Boy are these things light!  Did you ever have that feeling as a kid when you got a new pair of shoes and you thought it made you run faster? The 12's feel like that for me. They seem to allow more airflow which is a definite bonus with summer coming. I haven't compared the soles of the 2160's to the 12's but the 12's felt like they had a much smaller footprint and they are much quieter on impact. About 1.5 miles in, the outer side of my right foot started to hurt (never hurt there before). I stopped and adjusted my lacing and it turned out the middle laces were too tight. Ran 1.3 more miles felling great and ended the run.

It's only been 1 short run so I hope my feet appreciate these shoes on a long run.

Anyone else make similar switches? How did your feet/legs respond? I've heard the 11's and 12's may wear faster than their competitors. Any experiences that support or refute that idea?

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

I'm on my 37th pair of Brooks Adrenalines. Needless to say, they are the only shoes I buy!  I have not worn ASICS so I can't offer any comparison there. I can say I love the Adrenalines. I am a bow-legged runner with a weak right knee. The Adrenalines seem to work for me. As you said, they are light and they are really quick drying when they get wet. I also tie them a little differently at the top of the shoe. I have a narrow heel (I buy the narrow width) and so I tie them to keep them tight around the heel. I have never had problems with the side like you mentioned. I bet the difference in tying will solve the problem. I do switch them out when I get around 350 miles on them. I do this because I can feel my right knee start to hurt so I know it is time to retire them. I also wear polysorb insoles that are advertised to help with women's "Q-angle" (the wide hips to knee ratio). It is probably just a marketing gimmick but they seem to help my knee.

Hope you have success with the Adrenalines and like Brooks' says "Run Happy!" Smile

Noelle

I'm a big Brooks fan & have used the Adrenelines for several generations.  occassionaly try on others including the Asics 2100 line but always end up with the Brooks.  To me these 2 shoes are about as close as any two shoes could be.  The differences are very small.

Asics are just abit more cushioned, just abit higher arch & slightly larger in the toebox. small differences but the arch is just abit too high for me.  so very very close.  I think the Adrenelenes have a longer medial post & the 12's seem to have more than previous generations.  So I guess built for those who need an extra bit of stability.

I have always had & rotated at least 2 pairs of the Adrenelines & get close to 500 miles.  every generation.  I am small & lightweight & focus on running as "light' as possible, which allows me to get more mileage.  Could get more than 500 with no problems but still switch out mainly because I have a very good cheap source of purchasing.

xor

>> Boy are these things light! 

In general, Adrenalines aren't considered light shoes... at 11.2oz, that's pretty normal for stability shoes and Adrenalines are beefy shoes.  But the airflow helps.

That said, those 2160s were 12oz.  Yikes.  Their replacement, the 2170, went on a diet and is down to 11.4.  So comparing current models, they weigh about the same.

I've been wearing Adrenalines for years and years.  I'm going to try and move away from them this year. I think they are more shoe than I need.  (not just the weight, but the amount of stability 'correction')  But, yeah, I also usually get 500ish miles out of a pair, which I like.  If I switch to something and only get 200-300 miles out of them, I will probably switch back. The adrenalines aren't hurting me. That I know of.

juniordo1

In general, Adrenalines aren't considered light shoes... at 11.2oz, that's pretty normal for stability shoes and Adrenalines are beefy shoes.  But the airflow helps.

I guess I haven't been running long enough (2.5 years) or tried many shoes but to me the Adrenalines feel super light. If I like them I may stick with them but the idea of a lighter shoe is intriguing...

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

tried many shoes... the idea of a lighter shoe is intriguing...

+1-- I run in the 2100's. 500+ miles. I will give the Brooks Adrenalines 12 a try. If, the price is right.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Kelly running warehouse Brooks Adrenaline GT 11-$53.97 Asics 2160------------------$52.07 $5.00 shipping Roadrunner sports $67 and $68 with VIP membership

Update:

Missed an email on my shoe order. It did not complete. Re-ordered but the Asics 2160 out of stock. Just received 2 pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. Fit feels a little smaller the the Asics.Price increased $5 / $60 / $64.17 w / tax. Still a good deal.Free shipping.

Update:

Yes, there is a restocking fee of $10. If you decide to use the prepaid SmartLabel, an additional $9.49 would be deducted from the return as well.

I get the return shipping charge. The restocking fee is a deal killer.Will not use them again.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

juniordo1

Update:

I've got about 70 miles on my Adrenaline 12's now as I've been rotating them with my ASICS GT2160's. I still like the breathability and the lighter feel of the shoes but I can honestly say I like the 2160's more.

Maybe its just my feet, but since my marathon the 12's (raced in 2160's) feel like they have little to no support as compared to the 2160's. I will continue to run in the 12's  because I really want to like them again but they may end up being relegated to daily use at work.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Update:

I've got about 70 miles on my Adrenaline 12's now as I've been rotating them with my ASICS GT2160's. I still like the breathability and the lighter feel of the shoes but I can honestly say I like the 2160's more.

Maybe its just my feet, but since my marathon the 12's (raced in 2160's) feel like they have little to no support as compared to the 2160's. I will continue to run in the 12's  because I really want to like them again but they may end up being relegated to daily use at work.

52 miles on Brooks A -11's. Will run Hatfield and McCoy in them in 12 days. Will report back.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Funny- I bought a pair of Brooks (Trance) when I was having plantars fasc. and PTTD problems over the winter.  I think I was over-pronating in my right foot/ankle.. over compensating for my weaker left leg which has never been the same since I ruptured the Achilles about 7 years ago. Anyway, I digress..

I switched to the Brooks out of the 2160's.  I've been wearing Asics since high school.  I have to say I like the Brooks.  Much more support, cushion for my aging legs.  I switched back to the 2160's for a shorter workout and I have to say they felt faster, but I'm afraid to use them too much. I may be a Brooks convert for training shoes (still wearing Asics for races).  I'm also using arch inserts for additional support.  It only took about 3 weeks after the switch and additional support that I was pain free!

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"