Access to Run equipment from a different Activity (Read 43 times)

I have on occasion reorganized what I called the workout types associated with the Run activity. Unfortunately one cannot delete a workout type that is associated with an activity if there are any workouts associated with that workout type.  Since I have hundreds of entries in RA it is just not feasible to go into each workout to disassociate a particular workout type. (It might be nice to allow it and then just show "none" in the workout type field when viewing that workout.)

So, I end up creating new workout types within the Run activity, causing some clutter in this activity.  I thought it would be useful for me to create a new activity named after the marathon training plan I am using, such as "Hansons 40 - 60" and then I could have workout types within that activity such as "3wu+10MP+3cd" for example.  The problem is that if I create a new activity I can no longer access the equipment that is associated with the Run activity.  So, I would have to reenter all my shoe data for example, or edit each entry in "Equipment" to change the Activity from "Run" to "Hansons 40 - 60."  Then later, when I start using the "Hansons 60 - 80" marathon training plan for the next marathon, I would have to edit everything again.

Is there any better way to do this?  Is it possible access the Equipment in the Run activity from another activity?  I see that if I edit an equipment entry to change it to another Activity that It clears all the fields, so one is not just transferring a bit of equipment from one to the other, but actually creating a new bit of equipment.

mikeymike

Creating a new activity type named after the marathon plan is fraught with problems and equipment is only one of the. None of your reports will make any sense and a bunch of other things.

Why get so granular? "3wu+10PM+3cd" is not a workout type, it's a workout. And it's an MP or tempo workout if you want to get really specific. If you need to keep track of that particular workout for some reason, what's wrong with giving that name to an interval set and tracking it that way?

Runners run

I thought it would be of benefit to be able to compare like activities, as can be done in GarminConnect.  I see no way in reports to group activities by interval sets.  So, if I have done several 2wu+5(1k@5kw400r)+2cd (2 warmup miles with 5 repetitions of 1k at 5k pace with each repetition followed by 400 meters of recovery with a 2 mile cool down after the repetitions), or 2wu+ 2(3m@HMPw1mr)+2cd it would be nice to be able to see them grouped together for comparison purposes.

mikeymike

You can totally do that in reports. As discussed in this thread that you started like 3 days ago.

Go to Reports-->New Search. Pick a date range (make it from the dawn of time if you want to capture all workouts of a certain interval set.) For Activity, select "Run." For Intervals select the name of the interval set you want to search for. Run the report. If you want to save it, click Save As.

And why get so granular in the nomenclature? If you did the same workout but with a 2.5 mile warm up, wouldn't you also want to see that? You could have an interval set called "5 x 1000m at 5k" and the report would pick up all the workouts you labeled that way.

Runners run

rmcj001

I would like to use equipment for multiple activities.  It would also be nice to be able to use more then one piece of equipment for the same activity session.  I wear shoes when I run and when I walk, frequently in the same session, e.g. run 7 miles walk for one as cool down.  And sometimes I use the treadmill and shoes to both walk and run.  I haven't seen a way to enter 2 pieces of equipment in the same session, nor how to use one pair of shoes for both walking and running.

Ray

You can totally do that in reports. As discussed in this thread that you started like 3 days ago.

Go to Reports-->New Search. Pick a date range (make it from the dawn of time if you want to capture all workouts of a certain interval set.) For Activity, select "Run." For Intervals select the name of the interval set you want to search for. Run the report. If you want to save it, click Save As.

And why get so granular in the nomenclature? If you did the same workout but with a 2.5 mile warm up, wouldn't you also want to see that? You could have an interval set called "5 x 1000m at 5k" and the report would pick up all the workouts you labeled that way.

Ah, in Reports I had not changed the report to Run type.  That is why I didn't see the Intervals dropdown.

The type field isn't big enough to enter "2wu+ 2(3m@HMPw1mr)+2cd," but since all intervals in the Hansons 40 - 60 plan have 2 wu and 2 cd I would actually only enter "2(3m@HMPw1mr)."  Likewise the Hansons 60 - 80 plan has 3 wu and 3 cd, so the wu and cd would not need to be part of the name.

I have never used interval names before, so I'll play around with it a bit.