How do Maps Work with Garmin and RunningAhead (Read 457 times)

Are you a Heartosaurus?

Can someone elaborate on how maps work with my Garmin GPS watch and RunningAhead?

I notice that every time I do a run and import it there is a tab that shows a map. I'm guessing I can save the course and name it something right? So what happens if I save it? Will RunningAhead recognize the course if I run the same course again? I read something in the garmin manual that if you run the same course more than once your Garmin recognizes it?

I hope all this makes sense. I guess basically what I'm asking is; what do you do with the maps created when you upload your workouts from your Garmin to RunningAhead? Do you name them and save them? What's the point? Please tell me your thoughts.

Heartosaurusnoun [heart-o-sau-rus] 1. An inspiring online reference for open heart surgery patients. 2. A heart patient with an inextinguishable desire not merely to survive, but to live life to its fullest. 3. A doctor, caregiver, or anyone who makes a profound difference to the cause.

day after day sameness

Good question Benjamin. The RA log existed before the concept of GPS uploads. So there are some parts of that legacy in the answer to your question, since Maps and Courses existed before GPS uploads.

The map you get from the GPS upload is just that -- a map of where you ran. It is just showing the track of where you went and isn't the same as a course.

A course in the RA log is not the same as a course in Garmin-speak. In RA a course is best thought of as "your name for the route you ran". You can get a map of the course in 2 ways -- one is by manually creating the map using the mapping tools, the other is via the GPS track data uploaded.

(An example...I have a course that I run often which I've named "Main St Svetlana".  Depending on where I turn, this course has a bunch of different routes I use. I log all those runs as using that course name, but each time the GPS map varies and reflects the actual route I took.)

A course can have a map associated with it, and this map can be hand-built or come from your GPS.

Ok, long and winding reply, so a summary -- the map you get from your GPS upload is the track data of where you ran. You can log the run using any course name you want.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

Thanks Andy.  You're too fast!

Are you a Heartosaurus?

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. What you said makes sense, but i'm not sure I understand completely. Do you use the feature in your GPS watch to compete against a course you've already done? Sorry if I'm all over the place, as I'm new to RunningAhead, and I also just got my first GPS watch. I love everything, and RH has so many cool features that I'm getting acquainted with and beginning to make use of. I like the fact that I can save a course on my GPS watch for example and then compete against it again and again. What happens when I run a course in my GPS watch? Does it still record the workout? What are the different options people on RunningAhead are making use of in regard to GPS watches and Maps if any. I suppose any examples you can give from your own training or additional thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks again!

bjc

Heartosaurusnoun [heart-o-sau-rus] 1. An inspiring online reference for open heart surgery patients. 2. A heart patient with an inextinguishable desire not merely to survive, but to live life to its fullest. 3. A doctor, caregiver, or anyone who makes a profound difference to the cause.

Do you use the feature in your GPS watch to compete against a course you've already done?

Not often.  I'm almost always looking to run at a particular "feel", and that goal doesn't play well with racing against an arbitrarily-chosen past performance.  I can see how that competition might be useful, though ... I just don't tend to use it.

I like the fact that I can save a course on my GPS watch for example and then compete against it again and again. What happens when I run a course in my GPS watch? Does it still record the workout?

Yes, it does.

What are the different options people on RunningAhead are making use of in regard to GPS watches and Maps if any.

For me:

• Like MT, I've named a "course" (in RunningAHEAD, not Garmin) as something like "Neighborhoods".  EVERY run I do in my neighborhoods -- and I have lots of variations -- gets called "Neighborhoods" in my workout entry on this site.
            • Race courses, OTOH, I give each one a unique name in RA.  If the race alters its course, I save the new one with a new name.  Those courses, I guess I could compete against previous efforts if I wanted to.
            • I've occasionally mapped a course, then uploaded it to the Garmin and run it.  Typically, this is when I'm on vacation or want to run long in new territory (and can't/don't want to memorize all the turns and street names).  I'm sure there are easier ways to accomplish it, but I map here, save it, export it to my computer (as a GPX file), convert that GPX to CRS or TCX so the Garmin can read it, then upload that to my device using the Garmin Training Center software).  A PITA, as you can tell, which is another reason I don't do that too often.

“Everything you need is already inside.” -- Bill Bowerman

day after day sameness

Good questions Benjamin, I think I can help with some, but not all. I'm sure others will add more information to round out and/or correct as needed.

Here's a simple reply to all your questions -- whatever running you do and record on your Garmin GPS device can be uploaded to RunningAhead to record the results. Information does not go the other way -- nothing from RunningAhead goes to the Garmin. RA logs what you did, it does not setup workouts or other plans do download to the GPS.

>Do you use the feature in your GPS watch to compete against a course you've already done?

No, I don't use this personally. This is what Garmin calls "Courses" in Garmin Connect.This is not the same as a RunningAhead course in the training log.

>What happens when I run a course in my GPS watch? Does it still record the workout?

Yes. Each run's data is recorded and can be uploaded following the run to RunningAhead (and/or other sites like Garmin Connect or Sporttracks).

>I suppose any examples you can give from your own training or additional thoughts on this would be helpful

I really don't mean this in any rude way...but I just push start at the beginning of the run, stop at the end, then press and hold lap to reset and clear the session data, then I upload it to RA to popuate my log. That's it. Oh, except, I do use (and really enjoy) the prompted interval workouts in the Training options of my Forerunner.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless