Vibram 5 Fingers - a Couple of Questions (Read 2387 times)

Once my marathon's over on the 9th, I'm going to try experimenting with the Vibram 5 fingers, based largely on the good things Ed and others have said. I've got a couple of questions: 1) I'm going to buy the Flow, since that's the new one that should be better for winter running. Any experience w/ this model? 2) Those who wear the Vibrams, socks or no socks (realizing I'd need those expensive Injini ones) 3) Unfortunately, there's not a dealer near me, so I'll have to try mail order and I've heard the fit is a bit strange... any generalities, though? Large? Small? I typically buy running shoes a half size larger but am guessing if I have to guess, I should go w/ my true size. Otherwise, I'm going to follow all of the good advice I've heard: start slow, start short, etc.. which sounds perfect for the month after a marathon.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've never tried the flow, I'm curious what they're like. I have the sprints, which are indeed not very warm for winter running (although as I've spent more time barefoot my cold tolerance has increased substantially). I have tried Injinji toe socks with them, but usually I go with no socks. They don't make a big difference either way for me. They make it slightly warmer, but only if they stay dry. One thing about the sprints is that there are cloth parts relatively low to the ground, so they suck up water very easily. The flow model is all neoprene, so probably dryer. Good luck with the mail ordering, sizing may be hit-or-miss. Perhaps you can order from somewhere that has free exchanges, like Zappos.com. My feet are about 8.5 very wide, and I wear size 42 (european) vibrams. They're actually longer than I need, because I need the width. There are adjustable straps at the back that make it work well anyway. Some people complain of blisters on their heels if the fit is too snug there. My very first run in the vibrams I simply didn't get it. I went about 400 yards and called it a day. I strongly recommend doing some truly barefoot running too, it makes the learning process much easier.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

PS: Go read the Yahoo barefoot running group. Just in the last couple weeks there were several good threads where newbies were getting advice on how to get started.

#artbydmcbride

Shouldn't they be called Vibram 5 toes?

Runners run

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yeah, but I guess they thought FiveFingers sounded better. Incidentally, the only entry I could find for them on this site actually calls them FiveToes.
            xor

One of Ted Nugent's nicknames is "The Ten Fingers of Doom". Ed, if you ever race in Vibrams... particularly on a day like Halloween... that would be an awesome nickname for you too.

When I bought my KSO's in September I tried on a pair of the Flow. Even though they were the same size, they felt tight. Not tight like a shoe that's a size too small, more like a glove/wet suit tight feeling. They really wrap around your foot. I'm in Texas and knew right away that they would be too hot for me so I didn't try a larger size. My only issue with the 5 Fingers has been when I try to increase my mileage. My lower calf/ankles will be stiff the next morning when I wake up. The stiffness goes away as soon as I move around and doesn't return the rest of the day. Regarding sizing: I wear Brook's size 11, my Vibram KSO's are 43.
                  Thanks for all of the info... In the end, I ordered the KSO's. It seems like the Flows would be superior in the really really cold stuff, and there's not a whole lot of that in PA.... And if the KSO's are too cold but I like the whole Vibram thing, well the wife's looking for Xmas shopping ideas anyway. Looking forward to having a good marathon this weekend, and then using my slow easy recovery month as a way to try this whole thing out... stay tuned.

Thanks for all of the info... In the end, I ordered the KSO's. It seems like the Flows would be superior in the really really cold stuff, and there's not a whole lot of that in PA.... And if the KSO's are too cold but I like the whole Vibram thing, well the wife's looking for Xmas shopping ideas anyway. Looking forward to having a good marathon this weekend, and then using my slow easy recovery month as a way to try this whole thing out... stay tuned.
                    I've been pretty happy with the KSOs, and I had to try on 3 or 4 different pairs to get the sizing right. Thankfully, the store I coach at carries them. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to get some Flows for the winter yet or not. I need to get off my butt and wear the vibrams more often...

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Ed, if you ever race in Vibrams... particularly on a day like Halloween... that would be an awesome nickname for you too.
                      I do race in them, and I can confirm that they increase the intimidation factor. I've had people ask me if I want to start in front of them after they saw my shoes. Smile
                      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My only issue with the 5 Fingers has been when I try to increase my mileage. My lower calf/ankles will be stiff the next morning when I wake up. The stiffness goes away as soon as I move around and doesn't return the rest of the day.
                        That could be the normal adjustment process as you use muscles you've hardly used before. But if you find your calves are continually over tired, you're not really doing the forefoot form right. It's a common mistake to run up on your toes and tire out your calves. I didn't really find the sweet spot until I mixed in significant amounts of truly barefoot running.
                          That could be the normal adjustment process as you use muscles you've hardly used before. But if you find your calves are continually over tired, you're not really doing the forefoot form right. It's a common mistake to run up on your toes and tire out your calves. I didn't really find the sweet spot until I mixed in significant amounts of truly barefoot running.
                          Your right on both accounts. I've caught myself several times landing too far forward. Things seem to go better when my entire foot helps absorb the impact instead of just the forefoot area. Is your log correct? You have 900+ miles on 1 pair of Vibrams? If so, my wife is going to be so happy.

Is your log correct? You have 900+ miles on 1 pair of Vibrams? If so, my wife is going to be so happy.
                            From what I understand, the soles don't wear out so much as the rest of the shoe shreds which is when they need to be replaced, and that will depend upon where and how you use them. A friend of mine usually only gets about 200 miles per pair, but he does a lot of technical single track running in the dark so that probably has something to do with it.

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Is your log correct? You have 900+ miles on 1 pair of Vibrams? If so, my wife is going to be so happy.
                              Yes, that's correct. Well, it's pretty close. I often switch back and forth between Vibrams and barefoot during a run, and I usually don't bother logging the separate parts differently. Plus I've used them on backpacking trips, which aren't included in that mileage. Smile Typical shoes wear out when the cushion gets too broken down. Since these don't have any cushion to begin with, you're good until they fall apart. At 900 miles I can't actually see any wear at all on the soles -- but that has more to do with how you run than with the soles themselves. As for the upper, there's one little tear I got when I took a fall in the dark. I have a matching scar on my foot.
                                I've been pretty happy with the KSOs, and I had to try on 3 or 4 different pairs to get the sizing right.
                                My first pair showed up in the mail today and though I liked them - and my son thinks they're easiest the coolest shoes he's seen - they seem a little short, as if my toes would rub on the edges. Like Ed says, I think a little long is ok - prob. better than too short. Vibram does have a size exchange policy, so I took them right to the post office. I want to have a good size here by next week when I'm recovering from my marathon. Technically, I'm a 10.5, though I almost always run in 11's. I followed the Vibram guide, though, and went w/ a 42. I ordered a 43 on the re-order.