Best long run (for me) ever. (Read 1206 times)

I felt good so I just kept going. PR of 8.5 miles and a PR of 7:46 mm - first time I've ever run below 8. I didn't even mean to do it. Previous fastest pace was 8:29 or something and that was for 5 miles. I have no idea how that happened. I need to get better at managing my pace. Lower legs are achy today but I felt strong at the end of the run. Now I know that first 10-miler is in sight!

Awesome - congratulations! i don't know what you did, either, but try to bottle it and send some to me. Sub 8mm is a goal of mine, too, but I haven't been able to suatain it for more than 5K. Good luck on your progress and your 10 miler!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, nice work! You'll be seeing double-digit runs in no time! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats! Mommy said there would be days like that. Clowning around

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Dunottar

Congrats! You had one of those [what I call] "EUREKA!" runs, the payoff for all those times we plod through the rain and snow and heat and cold,...or when we don't really feel like it but run anyway. "EUREKA!" runs can provide motivation and momentum for weeks, or even months. Don't mean to hijack, but there must be something in the air this weekend: I went out yesterday to hit my 4-year goal of a 13.1 mile long run, and came away happier that I concentrated on and kept to my typical LR pace of 8:20 than I was about the distance (didn't look at the watch, ran by 'perceived effort'). Came away with an 8:03 with the last 2 miles at 7:47 and 7:48. Felt easier than some 4-milers at 8:30. Like you, I just can't explain it. Maybe one of these days I'll understand the physiology of all this.
              Congrats! You had one of those [what I call] "EUREKA!" runs, the payoff for all those times we plod through the rain and snow and heat and cold,...or when we don't really feel like it but run anyway. "EUREKA!" runs can provide motivation and momentum for weeks, or even months. Don't mean to hijack, but there must be something in the air this weekend: I went out yesterday to hit my 4-year goal of a 13.1 mile long run, and came away happier that I concentrated on and kept to my typical LR pace of 8:20 than I was about the distance (didn't look at the watch, ran by 'perceived effort'). Came away with an 8:03 with the last 2 miles at 7:47 and 7:48. Felt easier than some 4-milers at 8:30. Like you, I just can't explain it. Maybe one of these days I'll understand the physiology of all this.
              Yeah, it was so strange. I had planned a 7 mile route but when I was getting close, I looked at my watch and thought, "There's no way I ran 7 miles in that short a time, I must've messed up the route." So I extended my run a little to the point where I figured I had done 7 to 7 1/2 miles. At home, I went back to Google Pedometer to map what I did and my jaw hit the table. Of course, now I'm paying for it - the top of my right foot is very sore and I haven't run since Saturday. It's better today and I hope I can get out to run tomorrow morning. Just overdid it a bit I guess.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

EGH, you should be fine. After my first 10 1/2-mile run a few weeks ago, I couldn't run for a couple of days and felt pretty horrible. Last week after my 11-mile run, I was fine, did a lot of work that afternoon, and ran the next 4 days straight! I think I will stick to 11 this week before increasing the distance, though. Dunottar, congratulations on reaching HM distance! That's what I'm shooting for. Was it hard getting from 11 to 13.1? To me, that additional 2.1 miles seems very daunting for some reason.
                  Congrats on a great run! And you get bonus points if that's a Shamrock Running Club singlet in your avatar, Shamrocks is nice peeps.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congrats on a great run! And you get bonus points if that's a Shamrock Running Club singlet in your avatar, Shamrocks is nice peeps.
                    Sorry I don't get bonus points. It's a Tedy's Team (American Stroke Assoc.) singlet. Only wear a singlet when I have to. It's not a great look fo us hairy Scotch-Irish guys. Tongue

Well then I'll just have to award bonus points for replying, and running for Tedy's Team. Tedy and Co. are nice peeps too.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Dunottar

Was it hard getting from 11 to 13.1? To me, that additional 2.1 miles seems very daunting for some reason.
                        Teresadfp, No, not paticularly,...but I had flirted with 13 several times over the past 4 years (only to be waylaid by injury or summer heat), and had done quite a few 11s, 12s, 12.5s, etc. I'm also super-conservative about increasing LR distance, adding only about 1/2 mile weekly (sometimes just 1/4), and stepping back every 3-4 weeks. I credit getting into the upper 30s weekly mileage the past couple of months and adding a mid-week 'semi-long' run of 8 or so for putting me over the top this time.
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresadfp, No, not paticularly,...but I had flirted with 13 several times over the past 4 years (only to be waylaid by injury or summer heat), and had done quite a few 11s, 12s, 12.5s, etc. I'm also super-conservative about increasing LR distance, adding only about 1/2 mile weekly (sometimes just 1/4), and stepping back every 3-4 weeks. I credit getting into the upper 30s weekly mileage the past couple of months and adding a mid-week 'semi-long' run of 8 or so for putting me over the top this time.
                          Thanks for the info! I'm increasing my runs very gradually, also, and I'm at 35 miles per week, so hopefully I'll be successful like you!