Shoes n' such (Read 594 times)

PAMELA1069

Hello everyone! I am a newbie to this board. Somone posted it on the Weight Watchers board and I have enjoyed reading so many great posts this morning! I decided it April that I wanted to be a runner. I have always hated running. I did some 5K's a few years ago and a Tri and I just couldn't get into running. Well, now I am addicted! All it took was getting out there and doing it! I started running 3 miles about 3-4 times a week. Now, I am up to 5 miles 4-5 times a week. I often feel like I can't stop! I am in need of new shoes. I am running on some old Nike Shox that I got for Christmas 1 1/2 years ago. I don't have any pains...a little knee pain when I started doing the 5 mile runs and my right heel hurts on and off. But, I think it is time for shoes. Should I go to a running store and have them look at me running and see what kind of stride I do? Thank you all in advance for your help! This is all new to me and all so very exciting!!! Pam
    AroundTheHorn

Shox are not running shoes. Go to a running store and see what they recommend. I prefer asics gt-2130.
      Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
        Definately go to the running store. Make sure you bring the runners you're currently running in as it will help them to assess what kind of shoe you need. Everyone has different needs based on their biomechanics, weight, preferences, etc. etc. and they will help you pick something suitable. And don't cheap out on the footwear just for a good deal (within reason)... shoes are one of the only things you need to run! My $0.02CAD ($0.0199USD as of July 17 for my southern neighbours)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

... shoes are one of the only things you need to run!
          Hey Sparky, Are you a streaker? Big grin Another important piece of equipment for women is a decent running bra.
          Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
          PAMELA1069

I have a great running bra....but I am in need of some new shorts and socks. Thanks for all the replies! Pam
            xor

Socks. No cotton. You don't want cotton socks. Pay the extra $$ for not-cotton.

Hey Sparky, Are you a streaker? Big grin
                Not a streaker, either in the exhibitionist or run-daily sense, but I was a horse a few weeks ago at the Calgary half marathon (begin shameless self promotion): (end shameless self promotion) Smile While on the topic of gear though, good athletic wick-a-way underwear is another great investment. Highly reccomended by this fine fellow!

Giants Fan

I just got Mizunos...love them! You will not believe the difference in getting a great pair of shoes from a store where they understand running and can fit you with what works. Have fun!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Shox are TOO running shoes....not the newer models, however. The models from 3 or 4 years ago were fine for running. OK, first Pamela, a big "yugogirl" for getting a running addiction! Most excellent. Now back to shoes...if Nikes fit you well, try the Air Max Motos....a great all-around shoe for training & racing.