RAGBRAI ?!? (Read 3352 times)

Feeling the growl again

Sweet corn and field corn are different animals.  People who planted short-day variety sweet corn are already getting some in Indiana...I got mine in very late and it's at least tassling now.  Field corn is nowhere close to cobs.  So don't give up yet.

My wife is Korean descent so we eat edamame all the time.  Good stuff with a little salt; still too early to pick though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

No need to wait for the corn to get big....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Slo

Had fresh sweet corn yesterday although were probably 1 - 2 weeks out from the commercial growers having it ready.

JoeShort

I just had some awesome sweet corn from a farmstand in Des Moines area, they just started selling it last week.  Weather is supposed to "cool off" into the high 80's by next week, it's 99 right now with heat index around 115 - stay hydrated out there!  Would love to do RAGBRAI someday, but no bike/run for me this year after knee surgery last August.  Luckily I have kayaking to keep me sane, heading out for Blackburn Challenge race in Gloucester MA this weekend.  Enjoy Iowa! 

Kalsarikännit

For all participants, the bar guide is out.  While many of the beers on here may not be "good" beers, it is meant to be a listing of places that are serving beer other than Bud, Miller, and Coors.  We called every bar listed in all the towns across this years route.  Some of the bars were a little unsure of their line up at the time of the call.  More and more, the bars are starting to stock cans of Fat Tire and Blue Moon.  These go VERY quickly.  Talking to the owners, they are always surprised how fast they sell.  They get talked into buying them by a beer rep, then order a small amount, worried they are going to get stuck with it.

http://www.teamgoodbeer.org/docs/GBBarGuide2011.pdf

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

After watching the RAGBRAI thread this year (and last year perhaps?? I'm old, I don't recall), I finally took the two seconds to google 'ragbrai' to find out what it stands for.  Eh.  Well, it is what it says it is, so I shouldn't have been disappointed.  But I was hoping the B would have something to do with beer.

Marquess of Utopia

For all participants, the bar guide is out.  While many of the beers on here may not be "good" beers, it is meant to be a listing of places that are serving beer other than Bud, Miller, and Coors.  We called every bar listed in all the towns across this years route.  Some of the bars were a little unsure of their line up at the time of the call.  More and more, the bars are starting to stock cans of Fat Tire and Blue Moon.  These go VERY quickly.  Talking to the owners, they are always surprised how fast they sell.  They get talked into buying them by a beer rep, then order a small amount, worried they are going to get stuck with it.

http://www.teamgoodbeer.org/docs/GBBarGuide2011.pdf

That's disapointing I plan on only drinking craft beers. If you follow Peace Tree on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/peacetreebrewing

you may be able to track down the best beer in the Midwest.

Slo

A yes Peacetree !

I see they are only going to be at Glennwood.

I'm looking forward to a good week.

Enjoy!  Started this morning.  Enjoy Iowa.  I hope you all have a wonderful week, and that the weather cooperates.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Enjoy!  Started this morning.  Enjoy Iowa.  I hope you all have a wonderful week, and that the weather cooperates.

+1

Top 'O the World!

Drats! I missed this before heading to IA....alas, I did not ride RAGBRAI...worked a charter supporting nearly 1,000 riders....HOT & STEAMY most of the week! random light breezes. Decent beer in spots...our kegs kept a good IPA & a wheat option...

Hope everyone else had a great time as well!!  Smile

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Drats! I missed this before heading to IA....alas, I did not ride RAGBRAI...worked a charter supporting nearly 1,000 riders....HOT & STEAMY most of the week! random light breezes. Decent beer in spots...our kegs kept a good IPA & a wheat option...

Hope everyone else had a great time as well!!  Smile

Porkbelly?  We get Tammy's emails that make us long to be signed up!

Slo

Sounds like Porkbelly.

Had an awesome time. Hot as hell !

Ran into Wrigly Girl several times. Always in a beer tent.

Kalsarikännit

The overnight towns have been announced and the registration has started.  Time to start training (then once you put down the pork chops, pie and beer, you should probably get on your bike).

I know I will see Slo_Hand there.  I ran into him almost every day in a beer tent in the second to last town.

Anyone else in?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone else in?

Someday...my MIL lives in IA and has been trying to talk us into it (she's done it the past 2 years).  But that would mean a week of spending too much time with my MIL, which is a major roadblock.  That and I'm not sure the rugrat could do it, yet.  He just turned 11.  Perhaps in 2-3 years he'll be up for it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay