Quickest transition time from Half to Marathon (Read 620 times)

Hi all, I am considering a Marathon sometime before May this year but due to limited choice in events (I live in Thailand)  I have been thinking about the earliest possible date I could do it. I know everyone is different, but I'm just after some advice from people who may have been in the same (or similar) boat.

Background:

* I am an intermediate to advanced runner and maintain a level of fitness appropriate for a half Marathon

* I last ran a half marathon 10 days ago (sub 1:30)

* I last ran a Marathon (my first) in June 2012 (time was 3:25). I followed the myasics training plan (3 runs per week) which took me 12 weeks to go from Half to Full Marathon without any issues.

* Given I have been running solidly for longer this time, and done a M 6 months ago, I am wondering how realistic it would be to transition from half to full quicker than before, in less than 12 weeks.

* My target time for Marathon would be 3:15 this time, but I would settle for up to 3:40 if the alternative was not to run a marathon at all.

* I'm not after a specific training plan, just some pointers about what is possible and how quickly other people have managed it, given a similar target time.

Thanks to anyone who can give a view.

Simon

It is not clear that you will be able to progress beyond 3:25 without more consistent running.  You have speed but not endurance.  3 days a week is fine to start, but you'll see real progress at 5-6 days.  Whatever plan almost doesn't matter, as long as you add in two more days, with one of them being a 2+/- hour long run.

www.running-wizard.com may be just the ticket as far as a highly customized plan based on your current fitness and timeline.

2013 H1:  7 hours/week base.  Q3: Train for goal race.  Q4:  Goal Race.

Longboat

Letting off steam

^

what Seilerts said.  It's feasible to build from where you are now to a marathon within 12 weeks or even a little less, but on 3 days per week, it's iffy and you won't see much improvement .  Consistent running at least 5 times/week, balanced between regular runs and the long run, would give you a better shot at improvement.

Neil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly back to 100% 6 months after Achilles surgery. Now at 35 50 mpw.

Base building time!

CaptainKirk

I'm not sure I understand your training concern. A half marathon is not a prerequisite to a full. I've never done a half, but I've done quite a few marathons and longer. If you have the mileage, do the marathon. Focus your training on the marathon and fit the half in, if you want, as a tune-up race. You'll run a fine HM within training for a full.

The only concern for the HM before the full is recovery time, and that's only if it's within 3-4 weeks.

I'm certain you could finish a marathon right now, especially if you're willing to accept up to a 3:40.

I'm not sure I understand the question either.

Runners run.

xor

"I am an intermediate to advanced runner and maintain a level of fitness appropriate for a half Marathon

* I last ran a half marathon 10 days ago (sub 1:30)"

I peeked at your log.

All I know is that 1) I wouldn't consider 55ish miles a month and 15-20 mpw appropriate for racing a half marathon, but you went sub 1:30 on that, so, daaaaang. It really comes down to meshing your goals with the time you have to put into the training... and compared to your half, your full target is appropriately conservative.

Not sure I can answer your question except to say you have a lot going for you to be able to run 1:20-something on really light (appropriate? I guess...) training.

DoppleBock

1/2M Saturday 1:31

Marathon Sunday 3:06

I suppose you could do them both in the same day - I was happy as I was only in @ 3:06 shape.

I know a person that did decent on 3 days a week - But it was 3x20 miles ... that and he was a former < 1:06 1/2 marathoner, so decent is relative.

http://a-big-horse.blogspot.com/ 

2013 Goals ~ Mar < 3:00, 5M < 29, 10k < 35  

Old , Ugly and slow

You have run some pretty good times off very little miles.

Is thier a reason you only run 3 days a week.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2014goals   1300  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Thanks all, that's very helpful. Having reflected on everything, it seems like 10-12 weeks minimum to step up to a Marathon again. Last time I did 6 long runs (22km+) so would be enough time to squeeze that in again with some taper too. However, I wouldn't be improving my previous time much.

Regarding my low mileage, I live in Bangkok which really restricts running opportunities. It's too hot after 8-9am and before 5pm. I work longish hours and even on weekday evenings when it's dark, the city parks (the only decent place to run) shut before 9pm so I can only fit in about an hour then (assuming I don't get stuck in traffic).

During the marathon training (myAsics plan), my typical week would be a long run (up to 36km, lower on alternate weeks) on sunday morning, 1 hour weights Tue night, 5km easy run wed night, 14km hard tempo Thursday night.

I hadn't really thought before that my mileage was so low, or that I'd done well on such low mileage. All I know is that I never train slow - my easy and long runs are at 4:20-4:30/km (a bit more for the longest runs) and my weekly tempo is at 4:00-4:10/km So maybe it's just a case of quality over quantity and a focus on speedwork rather than pure mileage. And I think the weights help too to mix things up a bit for the muscles.

That said, I agree that I am reaching the limit of my ability on my current mileage (although I could have gone faster in last Marathon due to low-blood-sugar-at-start issues...). Its's clear that all the people who get great times and win races all put in high workloads - just not easy for me to do right now.

Simon