Do you ALWAYS run against traffic? (Read 4938 times)

I tended to run against traffic when I lived in a much more crowded area.  We also had many sidewalks so I tended to use those, even though I would scare one dog walker on a cell phone every night when I ran.

Now I am able to even it out - I live in a pretty rural area where the road crown is noticeable...and there's not too much traffic on the back roads.  That does not mean I run with an iPod, I always have 'head on a swivel' when it comes to traffic.

There are only a few occasions when I will run 'with' the traffic.....and I never really like it.    I have a 5 mile course that about 1/2 mile ends up with the traffic so I usually just stay there...but normally I go out of my want to run against the traffic...I like to see the cars coming and not hear them from behind (too scary).....

Champions are made when no one is watching

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

If your life is truly about to end, do you want to see it coming!

Let's race it, how stupid would you feel if you were run down by a SmartCar.  Better off choosing the car that'll hit you - something expensive.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

lukeg

I injured on of my peroneal tendons during summer training a few years ago because I always ran against traffic.  My schools trainer recommended I mix it up to avoid putting too much strain on on one leg or the other.  Lucky for me I run on sparsely traveled rural roads.  I dont know how you city folk stand running with all the traffic in general!
          5k - 15:55 8k - 26:46 10k - 33:09
            I like running against the traffic, no matter what the law is.  I find that I am much safer, being able to watch the cars that are meeting me.  If you see that they are not paying attention and are gonna get close to you, you can move over.  If they are coming up behind you, you have no chance

Totally agree but i usually run  in the road next to sidewalk facing the traffic because cars coming out of side streets can not see you  coming down the sidewalk. They do not even look,makes it worse with them on talking  cell phones talking and texting..But becareful running on the road and make sure it is self enough do that and the road is wide enough..here in Nashville starting in July it will be agaist the law to be texting  on cell phones while driving a $50.00 dollor fine I wish it was for talking on cell phones too,.

On blind turns or rises, I usually move to the "with traffic" side, because I've got a better chance of hearing anyone approaching me from behind. Then I usually move back to the "against traffic" side when visibility is again clear.

Totally agree. When I used to live in South County ( very rural - horse farms, country roads )   I would do this.    You had to.  

- Anya

Yes, I always do. I like to be able to see the drivers eyes, and make sure they can see mine. It allows me to stay in line as well, and not have to worry about being hit from behind!
                "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

On my runs I don't always have sidewalks so when I do I stick to against traffic so I don't have to cross streets when the sidewalk ends
                  -Jen
                  2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!