MCM 2008 - dgb2n's LONG race report (Read 703 times)

Dave

Although this wasn't my first marathon, it was certainly the first marathon that I've really trained for. My previous PR was 4:16:54, run at the same marathon last year but that was to support a friend and I hadn't done any real marathon training leading up to it. I started an 18 week training program back in July off of basically a base in the high 20's. I peaked at 50 mile weeks (one 60 mile week if you count two long runs in the same week). My mileage never got as high as the schedule called for but I did do quite a few of my long runs either as MP+15 seconds or fast finish runs with quite a few miles below MP. Speedwork (intervals and hills) was sporadic at best though. 3 weeks prior to the race, I ran the Army 10 miler and ran it at a 7:24 pace so I felt like I had a good time in me. Unfortunately I ended up with some knee troubles after that race but my 2 week taper left me feeling good on race day. I was up early (5:00) for my typical race day breakfast, raisen bagel, banana, and coffee. I didn't drink anything enroute to the race which I usually do but did have another banana and a Gu pack about 45 minutes before start time (along with a bit of water). I think this worked out better than a bunch of gatorade enroute to the race. I was able to go without any bathroom stops the entire way. I met up with the Reston Runners race club where I linked up with Tri-Kev and had hoped to see Kimmie but missed her. I was there really early and ended up waiting around for probably 45 minutes before it got light enough to figure out where the tree was and people started to arrive. One of the Reston guys dressed up in a chicken suit. The chicken beat me by almost 10 minutes. We walked down the hill to the start and ended up starting pretty close to the front, right behind the 3:20 pacer. Kevin and I agreed to run the first few miles together and help check the pace but made it clear that we were running our own races. It worked on our last race and once again I really enjoyed running with him. After a flat first mile, it turns up for the first hill of the race into Rosslyn. Then down through a wooded area back down to the Potomac river. Another slight short hill back to the Key Bridge and over into DC. Took my first Gu pack just before the bridge and washed it down with water at the water stop. I knew my heart rate was way too high and I checked the pace with Kevin to try and bring it back down under 160. Mile 1 - 8:13, 155bpm Mile 2 - 8:27, 167bpm Mile 3 - 7:52, 167bpm Mile 4 - 7:53, 158bpm Mile 5 - 8:13, 166bpm Once in DC we headed out along a reservoir, then up a steep hill through a residential neighborhood. There was sort of a foggy mist with the morning sun burning through it as we crested this hill. Very cool. Would've made a great picture. I maintained pace throughout this section pretty consistently. Kevin went ahead at this point. Then down through M Street on Georgetown (huge crowds here) and back down to the Potomac river and around towards the Washington Monument and my first meetup with my family. Steady pace down under 8 for some of it and HR around 165. I knew it was probably too high but I ignored it. Mile 6 - 8:12, 163bpm Mile 7 - 8:28, 164bpm Mile 8 - 8:14, 163bpm (second Gu Pack) Mile 9 - 7:57, 165bpm Mile 10 - 7:59, 165bpm Mile 11 started out towards Haines Point. Lighter crowd support. Very flat through here. Then back around the Tidal Basin with a nice view of Jefferson Memorial, and around the backside of Lincoln Memorial. The path narrowed and the crowd support was again amazing. Mile 11- 8:10, 165bpm Mile 12 - 8:07, 163bpm Mile 13 - 8:16, 163bpm Mile 14 - 8:14, 167bpm Mile 15 - 8:13, 168bpm Went down in front of the Capitol building then back around past the Smithsonian castle where I metup with my family for the last time before the finish. I pass Kevin around mile 18 and he encourages me to keep pressing. The damn chicken passes me here too. I'm still feeling pretty good but I know the long bridge is ahead. Bridge lasts forever as usual but I push on without losing much pace. Heart rate is getting up into 170 territory which I know from experience is not good news. I ignore it and see if I can hold it together. Mile 16 - 8:04, 170bpm Mile 17 - 8:05, 170bpm Mile 18 - 8:10, 171bpm Mile 19 - 7:57, 171bpm Mile 20 - 8:28, 173bpm Mile 21 - 8:13, 172bpm Down off the bridge and into Crystal City. Loud crowd support here. I start walking through water stops. I can tell I'm starting to fade. The bridge back into the Pentagon parking lot marks Mile marker 24 and then its back onto the highway towards the finish. Mile 22 - 8:17, 174bpm Mile 23 - 8:25, 173bpm Mile 24 - 8:18, 174bpm This is where I just run out of steam. I stopped through the final water stop and have trouble getting back up to speed. I've got nothing left at this point. Not sure this is a bonk but it sure felt like one. I'm going slower but don't have the steam to keep my heart rate up. Mile 25 - 8:51, 171bpm Mile 26 - 9:09, 169bpm All splits up to this point have been Garmin splits but the Garmin measured the course at 26.5. Over the last half mile, my pace slowed to 9:41 and was over 10 on the final hill to the finish. I ended up walking up the steep section at the beginning and knew it would be close to go under 3:40. I gave it what I had and ran to the finish. Went down on my knees after the finish and had sort of dry heaves. Got up, legs were rubber, more heaves, then sitting on the curb. One of the Marines asked me if I was OK. I said yes but I could use some water. He brought me some and I sat and drank it for a few minutes before getting up. Then over to my waiting family sort of in tears. Official time: 3:39:23, a 36 minute PR for me. Cutting minutes will get much more difficult from here. All in all, I was really pleased with my race time. Don't think I had anything more in me today. The weather was perfect. The crowds were amazing. It was great to see my family a few times during the race. I just ran out of gas and gave up a couple of minutes at the end. A special thanks to the Team Blister Marathon Trainers Group for all their support in the months leading up to this race. Also to the Swamp crew who inspired me to run more, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AWESOME!!!! Great job Dave! Congrats on your new PR!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

The word has lost a lot of its meaning through overuse, but a 36 minute PR is amazing. No question that you left it all out on the course, that was a great finishing-on-fumes effort. Great report too, I hope you recover well and quickly.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

All splits up to this point have been Garmin splits but the Garmin measured the course at 26.5.
          Mine too.
          ... 36 minute PR for me. Cutting minutes will get much more difficult from here.
          Me too (65min PR -- going down even 5 more minutes is gonna be painful, and I'm not sure I want to start doing that much pain in a marathon). Congrats Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

Did some log stalking on you Amores. Fantastic race! And it doesn't look like you faded at all. I thought 36 minutes was a lot Shocked 65 minutes is unreal.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

kcam

Very nice race dgb2n. I ran the Silicon Valley marathon this morning and, conkydink, my Garmin also tallied 26.5 miles! 36minute PR is way cool. Amores - you too! Looks like you nailed a serious PR as well. Earlier in the year, before the glitch in the 2000mile pace group happened, you and I were neck and neck fighting the pace bunny. I used your progess for motivation to get my training runs in - thanks, man. RA is a great place, eh? Keep up the good work!

Why is it sideways?

GREAT work, Dave!

Non ducor, duco.

Official time: 3:39:23, a 36 minute PR for me.
                  WOW! Congrats! That is just amazing!

Bugs

Very Happy for you Dave! GREAT JOB!!!

Bugs

Woa, Dave. What a job you did on that old PR! You flat out creamed that thing. Congratulations!
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Did some log stalking on you Amores. Fantastic race! And it doesn't look like you faded at all.
                        Fortunately someone I know caught me at mile 20, and I spent most of the remainder of the race chasing him -- and for several miles was running with another girl and both of us were passing everyone together. I was really tired, so it was a darn good thing there was something fun to focus on (passing, keeping up with this other girl who was plowing along past people, catching back up again to my friend...)
                        I thought 36 minutes was a lot Shocked 65 minutes is unreal.
                        That's cause I ran the first one in such a way as to guarantee PR'ing the second one -- I ran the first one REAL slow. I recommend that approach Smile You're guaranteed a PR on the first one, and it is nice to guarantee yourself a PR on the second too, to ensure you also enjoy it. I call it the anti-Salazar approach (cause he ran his first one at insane speed).

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Earlier in the year, before the glitch in the 2000mile pace group happened, you and I were neck and neck fighting the pace bunny. I used your progess for motivation to get my training runs in - thanks, man. RA is a great place, eh? Keep up the good work!
                          Thanks. You already have 2300 miles?? Wow.

#artbydmcbride

Fabulous!! I am so happy for you. Smile

Runners run

xor

Very good job. Sorry about this, fo sure:
                              Went down on my knees after the finish and had sort of dry heaves. Got up, legs were rubber, more heaves, then sitting on the curb.
                              How are you feeling now?

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Dave, Great race! It was fun running withyou and leap frogging for a bit. congrats on an amazing PR!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                                My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                                Ride 112 miles.
                                Run 26.2 miles.
                                Then brag for the rest of your life.
                                -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator