Wrong shoes? (Read 119 times)

Scott56

I have been running for health improvement for a year now.  When I started I went to a local athletic store for shoes.  The salesman took one look at me, 6'3" 230#, flat feet, and said you will have a problem with pronation, so he put me in a Asics control shoe.  I run 2-6 miles on asphalt and concrete per day, not fast, average 10 minute miles.  Problem is I wear out shoes fast on the back outside corner.  I really do not think I roll inward, my ankles are strong and I am built like a linebacker.  Would a neutral shoe perhaps correct this?

Unless that one look was while you ran into the store, it sounds like maybe you need to find a better fitter. I could be wrong but I believe neither size nor ankle strength has anything to do with pronation (or lack thereof).

Also, are you in pain? How many miles have you put on the shoes?

Scott56

No pain at all.  Getting around 200 miles per pair before the rear outside corner of the shoes are worn off to the point that all sole tread is gone all the way to the center of the heel and into the soft foam material of the sole.  The rest of the tread is still good.

runmichigan

You state you went to a local athletic store.  Do you mean a store like Dick's, Sports Authority. or similar?   The clerks there are not specifically trained to evaluate your running and make recommendations for shoes.  JCP, Kohls, and other department stores stock running shoes, but I have found those can be seconds or lower quality running shoes.  This is probably not true of a local athletic store, but wear could be impacted by ho long the shoes have been sitting on the shelf. Generally shoes sitting on a shelf for over a year will not last as long.  Finally, your weight and your stride mechanics can impact how long the sole lasts.

I recommend you go to a local running specialty store for a gait analysis.  I would take your current running shoes with you so they can evaluate any wear patterns.

If the shoes are comfortable and you're not having any pain, I don't think there is a problem to solve. Keep on keepin' on.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Where is your forefoot wear?  The wear on your heel simply suggests that you're a heavy heel-striker.  Ideally you want a shoe that makes it so your forefoot wear is under the center of the ball of your foot.  Under your big toe suggests you need more medial support (overpronator), under your baby toe would suggest the opposite (underpronator/supinator).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If your only problem is wear on the corner of the heel, then you are skidding when your foot touches down.  You can see this when running in an inch of fresh snow.  My own shoes wear like this, but not as bad as yours.  Try to not skid because skidding is wasted energy, but don't get too anal about.

Get a tube of Shoe Goo and build up the worn area.  My shoes start getting Shoe Goo at about 200 miles, and keep getting it until the rest of the shoe wears out at 2500 to 3000 miles.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If the shoes are comfortable and you're not having any pain, I don't think there is a problem to solve. Keep on keepin' on.

+1

"Gait analysis" is overrated IMHO and "control" shoes are questionable at best. .  Do concentrate on form.  Try not to overstride should help the big heal strike.

You people have issues 

Scott56

Hibbett Sports and no evaluation of running stride was made, but with that said, the shoe style is comfortable, just tired of replacing them so often.  It may well be mechanics, I use short quick strides to try not to come down hard to protect my knees and maybe I am skidding on heel strike.  Wear across the ball of foot is even.  Had not thought of using Shoe Goo to build the sole back up to extend the life of the shoes, I will certainly give that a try.  Thank you for your replies.

You could switch it up, but the most glaring thing to me is that you weigh 230 lbs. You're going to go through shoes quickly because of that simple fact. I think 200 miles on 230 lbs is to be somewhat expected.

Shoo Goo is essential.  I'm giving the runners in my family some for Christmas!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

jfa

Do concentrate on form. 

Better form may save your shoes and prevent injuries.