ShinSplintCure.com/Acupuncture (Read 762 times)

Bugs

Has anyone every bought the online book from ShinSplintCure.com? Anything miraculous in there? Has anyone every tried acupuncture for treating them? Liked to hear how it went.

Bugs

obiebyke

Hey, Bugs. I've used acupuncture for shin splints, yes. Warning: it HURTS. My acupuncturist felt down the bone until he found hot spots and then tapped the needles directly into them. Very painful. I love acupuncture for most things, but I found that ice and toe taps really did more for my splints than acupuncture. Worth a try, though.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

finney

Resident pinniped

It depends on what's causing your shin splints. If it's overuse, back off speed/distance. If it's weakness, do exercises. If it's tightness, stretch. If it's a biomechanical problem, you might need orthotics or different shoes. No one thing works for everyone. If you think it might help, try it.

Bugs

It depends on what's causing your shin splints. If it's overuse, back off speed/distance. If it's weakness, do exercises. If it's tightness, stretch. If it's a biomechanical problem, you might need orthotics or different shoes. No one thing works for everyone. If you think it might help, try it.
          It started from using orthotics; they were overcorrecting. I've been getting graston treatment, but the one leg keeps flaring up. I saw the doctor today and he wanted to give the graston more time. I have had health issues with a low blood volumne this last month. We don't think that helped. I'm just planning my second line of attack.

Bugs

finney

Resident pinniped

Wow...what a rough month. I'm sure you're already doing this, but I'd get your hypotension issues resolved before resuming anything extremely strenuous. Good luck!

A Saucy Wench

I have had wonderful results from acupuncture for certain injuries, not so good results for others. I havent ever had acupunture really hurt. Unless I do something stupid like try to move while the needles are in. I have also been to both good and so-so practitioners. If you have a guy with a good rep it is worth a shot. Although I find acupunture better for chronic stuff like tennis elbow, tendonitis rather than an acute injury.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

Wow...what a rough month. I'm sure you're already doing this, but I'd get your hypotension issues resolved before resuming anything extremely strenuous. Good luck!
                Exactly one week after getting out of the hospital I ran 15 miles. Cardiologist said, "Exercise as tolerated." Smile Other than this shin splint, and an ear ache that won't go away I feel great. More energy than I've had in over three months, running faster, & recovery faster. I'm added salt to my diet and making sure I get 2000 mg of potassium a day. Still shocks me how a simple diet change could make such a difference. Think after my HM in May I may have to aquajog for a couple of weeks.

Bugs

finney

Resident pinniped

Well nobody needs to tell you to HTFU then! By the sounds of things you had low blood volume/electrolyte problems for quite some time that just eventually came to a head. Good to hear you're back on track. For your earache have you tried the NetiPot? My husband has small ear tubes so they get clogged up easily. When he uses the NetiPot it just seems to open everything up and he doesn't have any problems with them.

Lia's Daddy

I used acupuncture for my last running-related injury(micro tear in my calf muscle). It seemed to help but I think that rest was the most beneficial. good luck and I hope next month is better for you!
                    "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen