Proudly presenting...my race report...my really really long race report! (Read 605 times)

It's super long, b/c I just took it from my blog...but here goes... I can now say with total confidence...I am a half marathon finisher! I'm not a fast one, and I won't be breaking any records, but I am a finisher! Here is my race day report... Woke up at 6 am...remnants of a dream where I couldn't get my fanny pack in the right place and pretty much screwed my first mile. Nerves at this point about 3 out of 10. Thinking more like, oh my gosh...it's here. Hopped in the shower, tried to mentally prepare. Undecided on what to wear as the forecast has changed 15 times in the past 3 days. Eat some oatmeal, and a banana, drink some water...check the forecast. Ok, it's warmer than they said last night...pull off my leggings. Nerves about 5 out of10 now. Say goodbye to Tadd and the boys, head off to meet Walt. Meet Walt and his friend from work at 7:15. By now it has rained heavily, and is about 45 degrees. My stomach is a mess, but my head is ok. And we're off to Dallas. Making small talk, all of us nervous in one form or another. All of us debating what we're going to layer with. Hit pretty bad traffic right at the exit for AAC. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if the half and full marathons started at the same time. We finally found parking and headed towards the AAC at around 8:35 am. Racetime was 9:00! Inside the American Airlines Center was PACKED. We had about 20 minutes to potty and get to the start. I lost Walt and his buddy almost immediately in the search for a bathroom. 6000 people standing in line for the bathroom at one time doesn't make for a quick trip. Made it outside finally about 4 minutes until 9:00. Surprisingly my nerves were actually not bad at this point. More than anything I was COLD!! I was ready to go. Couldn't believe that I was actually about to do this!! Cheering filtered back through the crowd when the gun went off. We couldn't hear it way in the back, but they had the front runners on the big screens of Victory Park. Very cool. It took me about 3-4 minutes to get to the start line and away I went! I didn't have a definite plan for the run. My goal was to finish in under 2:30, and I definitely wanted it to be a good experience, not a miserable one. I focused on keeping my pace between 11 and 11:30 per mile, at least for the first half. The first 3 miles went by pretty easily, a few hills, still pretty thick crowd. It was definitely cold, but people were shedding clothes almost immediately. There were lots of bystanders, definitely a big race. I took my first water walk a little past mile 3, and took off my jacket. Tadd and the boys, Kim, and mom would be at mile 8, and I'd give it to them then. I was pacing right at about an 11 minute mile. Felt great. Started through the neighborhoods...tons of people in their yards cheering, some with lawn chairs. The encouragement was fantastic. I ate some of my jelly beans around mile 4 I think...still feeling great. I wasn't missing my ipod at all, just watching everyone around me, taking it all in. Around 6 1/2 miles, my motivation became seeing my family. I knew they were waiting for me, and they knew I would be there soon. Teared up a bit thinking about it, after seeing so many in front of me greet their families and hearing loved ones cheer for them. Ate some more beans around mile 7, and plugged on. True to their word, my gang was there at mile 8! I gave them my jacket, smiled and waved. It was great to see them and hear their cheers. I knew they were proud of me. 5 miles to go! I was over halfway there. I started making mini goals. Was getting mildly tired, but my head was still strong, and most importantly I still felt good. I could estimate that I was going to just make my goal if I kept at this pace, so that kept me going if I felt like walking. I could have used my ipod around mile 10-11.5, thought about pulling it out, but decided it wasn't really worth it. So much for the no ipod rule though...I'd say more than half the runners had them. We merged with the marathoners right around mile 11. Those people have my total respect! I remember thinking at mile 11, how could I possibly do 15 more miles?! Troopers. It also seemed to get colder right around then. I think the temp definitely dropped...my hands got cold, my legs started really feeling the cold, and if I had had my jacket still I think I would've put it back on. Only two miles left!! I HAD this!!! Tons and tons of supporters those last 2 miles. Music and intercoms cheering us on at mile 12. ONE MORE MILE!! (And a tenth, but hey, who's counting). If I hadn't been so focused on running, I probably could have lost it there...the emotions totally flooded me when the end became so close. I wanted to punch it, but I knew I couldn't hold it for that long, so I saved my energy. Actually, I probably walked more the last mile and a half than I did the whole first 10. My legs were really getting fatigued, and the cold was getting to them. I could see the finish with about a 1/4 mile left. Once I saw the balloons, that was it. Don't know what my pace was the last 1/4 mile, don't really care. I felt strong, and I might not have been fast, but I was running strong, and confident. I felt great. Kept my eye out for my family, but there were SO many people. I DID hear them though right at the end. And then, I was done. I did it. I ran a half marathon. If I could bottle the emotions that flooded me at that very moment, ... That was probably the only point in the whole thing that I was sad I didn't have a running partner. I wanted to hug and kiss and cheer and cry. Relief and happiness, exhaustion, pure elation. My legs almost immediately were so tight and aching. It was so cold outside!! Got my medal (yea!), my finishers picture, talked to Tadd, and headed off to find everyone. It seemed to take forever to find them inside the AAC, but finally I did...most of my wild emotions kind of tamed in my 20 minute search for the fam, but not all of it. Hugged Kim, hugged Tadd and the boys...hugged Mom...cried. Hugged Kim again, cried. So happy, so proud of ME!!! We hung out for a bit and chatted, then headed home. The boys were tired, and the beer was gone. What a day though. I will definitely do it again. Cowtown is just 2 months away! Lessons learned.... 1. When wearing a skirt, always lube your inner thighs. 2. Invest in gloves and a headband for winter runs..Bless you Kim. 3. People who hate ipods during races aren't so old fashioned after all. I motivated myself, instead of relying on a good song to do it. Two and a half hours with just me and my thoughts isn't so bad. 4. That which doesn't kills us, definitely does make us stronger.
    Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lessons learned.... 1. When wearing a skirt, always lube your inner thighs.
      Ooh, yeah...did no one mention that one? Very key. Unless I am wearing long pants I gotta have the Body Glide. What a great race report! Isn't it a fantastic feeling to have a goal, meet it, then start looking forward to your next?! You did fabulously! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ooh, yeah...did no one mention that one? Very key. Unless I am wearing long pants I gotta have the Body Glide.
        Yeah, lubed everywhere needed but there. never had the problem with my shorts, and hadn't ever worn a skirt in this long of a run. Oh well. Didn't start bothering me until mile 11 or so.
        Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
          Congratulations Courtney!! I feel your joy. I wish you continued success and may you reach all your future goals.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Awesome job Courtney!!! What a fantastic race report. Thanks so much for sharing. Congratulations on your HUGE accomplishment. You go girl!! Sara
              Awesome Courtney! I knew you could do it, and it sounds like a fabulous experience Smile
                Congratulations on becoming a half marathoner !! Your enthusiam and excitement is quite clear from your race report --- glad the experience was so positive for you!! Big grin
                2009: BQ?
                  Congrats Courtney!! Great job! And a wonderful race report!
                  So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3

Anyone have pizza?

That is an awesome report. It's so fantastic when you can finish a long race, and hopefully it should give you more confidence in yourself and your abilities. Nothing can stop you now!!! Big grin
                      AWESOME report!!! Congrats Courtney!! Awesome that you got to see your family on the run!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Another Passion

Awesome accomplishment, Courtney! Congratulations and well done! Thank you for sharing. Big grin

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congratulations.
                          Carl A

Great job in the race. One of the things that I also enjoy about distance running is the intense emotions that it can bring out. Thanks for the awesome report! Carl

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

va

Courtney, congrats on your first half!!! I am glad you had such a great experience!
                                Awesome job, Courtney! Welcome to the half marathon finishers club!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?