marathon shoe...? (Read 993 times)

augustwest100

I'm light (120 lbs) and have a mild overpronation. I've trained with asics gel kayanos and ran a marathon with them, but was wondering if I should be using them only to train, and pick a slightly lighter shoe for the actual races. I'm not a speed runner, and I'm only looking for that extra push of energy in the last few miles of the next marathon or half marathon. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a lightweight shoe that is supportive enough and stabilizing for long distance runs?

The Greatest of All Time

If you like Asics look at the DS Trainers. It will be my marathon shoe this year.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        If you like Asics look at the DS Trainers. It will be my marathon shoe this year.
        These are nice. Bought mine too small. All my other shoes are 10 1/2 and got these in 11. Needed 11 1/2. Undecided They look so good, I might make this pair an everyday shoe (when I get another pair that fit proper). They feel perfect for marathoning. Much like my Asic Speedstar II's, but a touch softer.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The Greatest of All Time

These are nice. Bought mine too small. All my other shoes are 10 1/2 and got these in 11. Needed 11 1/2. Undecided They look so good, I might make this pair an everyday shoe (when I get another pair that fit proper). They feel perfect for marathoning. Much like my Asic Speedstar II's, but a touch softer.
          Same with me. I normally wear an 11 and my DS's are 12's. Curiously my Asics Stratus' a are 11.5.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

I'm a big fan of the DS Trainers, although I retired my last pair of them a while ago. I've been using Mizuno Wave Precisions since late last year, although I ran my last marathon in Mizuno Wave Revolvers (racing flats) - free shoes make the choice pretty easy.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only shoe that works for me at the moment is the NB 902. I have a pair of 903s I'll be throwing into rotation shortly, too. Very lightweight, flexible, soft cushion, roomy toebox (the 903, especially...it runs a half size big due to that), good stability. They come in widths, too, which is the main selling point for this duck-footed girl. I also seem to get more miles out of these than I do heavier trainers--not sure how that's happened.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

The only shoe that works for me at the moment is the NB 902. I have a pair of 903s I'll be throwing into rotation shortly, too. Very lightweight, flexible, soft cushion, roomy toebox (the 903, especially...it runs a half size big due to that), good stability. They come in widths, too, which is the main selling point for this duck-footed girl. I also seem to get more miles out of these than I do heavier trainers--not sure how that's happened.
                Thread hijack - my appologies. Zoom - Joe' New Balance Outlet is haveing a blowout on the 902s right now. They sell the last of the discontinued shoes. My marathon shoe is Just kidding - my last marrathon I ran in Mizuno Nirvanas but I will be running the next ones in NB either 152, 205 or 950 (Yeah -I'm a shoe ho but if your honest I bet you have lots of running shoes too Big grin)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thread hijack - my appologies. Zoom - Joe' New Balance Outlet is haveing a blowout on the 902s right now. They sell the last of the discontinued shoes.
                  I need to see if they still have my size. I am giving the 903s a couple of weeks to prove themselves--if I don't love them like the 902s I will be stocking up. I already have one pair still in box, one with 220 miles or so, and one with about 30.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...smile :)

Here is something more exotic: I am using Karhu M2. They are quite different (low profile) from Asics. I switched to them a year ago after using Asics DS Trainer and Nimbus for many years. They fit my running style perfectly and I have been really pleased with them. They are sort of difficult to find, though.
                      I'm a heavy overpronator with flat feet. The Mizuno Wave Inspire 4 is what I'm running in. They're only 11 oz. which is a big difference from the Kayano, which are also some that I've tried.