Bridge of Flowers 10K (Read 514 times)

jeffdonahue

What would rather have during a race, a steep incline for a shorter distance or a smaller incline over a longer distance? Or how about a steep incline over a long distance????? I was just thinking about this as I checked out the elevation chart for the "Bridge of Flowers 10K" that I am doing on the 9th of August. There is a 10.5% grade for about a mile - that is about 500 feet of climbing over a mile. Here is a link to the map http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=195702 Is anyone else doing this?
    corrade

Valet Parking

I just registered, today is the last day to get a 'free shirt'. The race actually used to be run the opposite direction than we'll run it. They changed it because of injuries on the steep downhill. This section may not have been paved when the race was first held. Last year I ran the race, and then repeated the hill by running the course backwards. Coming down Crittenden hill is brutal. I can tear down even steeper hills on mountain trails with no problem, but I definitely prefer the Bridge of Flowers course as it stands, a short steep uphill and gradual downhill 5k.
        I'd rather do a long gradual hill as that is what I normally train with around Boone, NC. But this hill looks like it should be challenging. I fear steep downhills which hopefully the descent somewhat avoids. I'm looking forward to this race! Only a week away...see you there! Dean