A tale of two dinners (Read 789 times)

Now that was a bath...

Sunday is roast dinner day. Not for most here in New Zealand, but as a British ex-pat the Sunday Roast is not something that I am willing to put aside. This last Sunday saw us eating lamb racks, nut roast (I am vegetarian), roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, green beans, broccolli, yorkshire puddings (my son insists whatever the meat dish) and gravy. Granddad came. He always does. The dinner was important to me as it was the day that I broke the news that Red was going to be a Great Grandfather, that I was to be a Grandmother and that my daughter was having a baby, due Christmas Eve. Red was surprised but supportive, soon enough forgetting his shock and changing the subject to smoking and the youth of today. 'Of course I argued with Arthur about the Rothman's sponsorship. Seemed stupid to me that someone promoting sport and the good health of the Nation should accept money from tobacco companies.' 'Who's Arthur?' I asked. 'Arthur Lydiard.' He answered 'Came to dinner once. Arthur said he had done more darn good for the health of this country than anyone. Had a right to that money he did. I guess he was right. Lot of people like running now.' 'Claire's a big Lydiard fan.' Said John. 'Do you run then?' Asked Red. I stared at the huge pile of Lydiard books stacked on the dresser and thought for a moment, 'Sometimes' I said. Today I googled Glamorous Granny Competitions. Now there's a cup that I stand a chance of winning. Sigh, if only I could get John over the shock and pesuade him to put the bottle of whisky down for a moment. Turbulant days indeed! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      HI One day I am going to visit New Zealand. I want to run where Arhtur ran himself, and where "Arthurs boys" turned into Olympic Champions. I think I remember that there is a "famous" 20 mile loop that his boys did weekly. I have got to do that one.
      Run more.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wait. Hard to keep up. 1. Grandmother? There's gonna be a baby? Details are sorely needed... 2. Nut roast? Sounds yummy. Do tell. 3. Your grandfather was a friend of Lydiard's? Does gramps run? But not know you run? 4. I gotta get me to New Zealand to drink a beer with you.
        Scout7

Trent, there are more groups out there that you seem to be unaware of.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. Apparently. But this here is a public forum...
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, small world, huh?! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow - you make Yorkshire pudding? I miss Yorkshire pudding - my Mom made it every Sunday dinner for us too. That is too funny about Lydiard Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

The dinner was important to me as it was the day that I broke the news that Red was going to be a Great Grandfather, that I was to be a Grandmother and that my daughter was having a baby, due Christmas Eve.
                  Claire, is that what the following was about? It was a very mysterious statement in JK's "Look what my fiancee can do" post!.... Claire's quote: " I had some rather shocking news last week that caused me to fall over, get up, run stupidly hard and flared up the legs a little. " I know you're probably investing in extra whisky now, but I'm still going to say "Congratulations". Hopefully the positives will outweigh any negatives!!

Now that was a bath...

Joni - it was indeed. I was keeping the news quiet until family had been told, but things have indeed been a bit turbulant in our household in the last couple of weeks. Thanks for the congratulations. It means a lot! Trent. Alice told me a couple of weeks ago that she had gotten a positive pregnancy test. There was a week of much discussion, counselling and thought for her whilst she made the important decision of 'what to do?'. She is keeping the baby and I am standing 100% behind her. Initially I felt very sad for my daughter, but we are all coming to terms with it now and getting excited for the big event at Christmas. Geoff is the father (some of you will remember Geoff from my previous posts!) and he is being surprisingly supportive at the moment. Of course I am cynical that this wil last, but John and I have agreed that given the circumstances he deserves a chance. Just ONE chance. My daughter is vulnerable at the moment and I will take no prisoners if he steps out of line. So I get to be a Grandma at 36! Nut roast - delcicious as always. 1 cup of chopped peanuts (roasted salted) 2 cups of breadcrumbs 2 grated carrots Fresh basil 3 tbsp melted butted 2 tbsp orange juice 1/2 tsp vegetable stock powder 1/3 cup of water 1 egg Combine all dry ingredients and then mix all the wet together, mixing until mixture is moist but not wet. Place in greased loaf tin. Bake for approx 30-40 min. New Zealand has a very small population and Red was a Justice of the Peace and school principal. He would have gone to lots of dinners and events with guest speakers. Thus the Lydiard link. They weren't friends, just casual aquaintainces. He doesn't run but he was a really healthy guy until poor health struck in old age. As for drinks in NZ - now would be a good time to come because since the news I have definitely been drinking in this last couple of weeks! I'd come quick though. I'm bored with it already Big grin
                      Congratulations to Alice Smile And I am totally with you on Sunday roasts being an essential part of Sunday! A couple of weeks ago I had the good fortune to hear Arch Jelley speak about his days coaching John Walker. He spoke a good deal about Lydiard and his influence as a coach. His firm belief in Lydiard's principles was something he repeated several times. I got the chance to meet Arch briefly after his speech. I so hope to be that enthusiastic and full of life when I'm in my 80's.
                        Wow. I can see how that would be a shocker. Congratulations. Children are a blessing and I have no doubt that this child is fortunate to born into such a loving and caring family. Will be expecting some pictures to be posted around Christmas time.
                        mikeymike

So you're saying Lydiard took tobacco money? Kooky Claire, you are one tough chick. That baby will be just fine. Wow.

Runners run

Now that was a bath...

Mike the money was for sponsorship. Did you know that New Zealand gave Lydiard almost no financial support or even after he did incredible things for the athletes of this country. At the peak of his career, Lydiard had a milkround so that he could keep up with his coaching. All this at a time when other countries were begging for his input! Mandy - that's cool about Arch! It's funny because a couple of years ago I would have been the first to leave the room if someone gave a talk about athletics. Now I would be so excited!
                              Sorry, I'm 7 months behind... Recently migrated here from Cool Running because they killed that site! ;o) Without Rothman, that cigarett company, Snell would have not won 2 gold medals and John Davies a bronze in 1964 in Tokyo. Lydiard of course did have some reservation "working" for a cigarett company but apparently they told him that he could say anything he wanted--how smoking is bad for you and all. Why that, I don't know for sure... But Rothman sure did a lot of good for the sport. I saw this red booklet which was passed onto Dick Brown, Mary Slaney's coach in 1980s, from Bill Bowerman. It is called "Arthur Lydiard's Athletic Training" printed by Rotman. It was a summary of Lydiard's training principles which later became "Run to the Top" and "Run--the Lydiard Way". Without Rothman, his training method didn't go south even in New Zealand and, most likely, Rod Dixon's feat of a bronze medal in 1972 and the NYC marathon win in 1983 wouldn't have happened. As some of you probably know, he later worked at Winson (a construction company in Auckland) as their public relations officer. Interestingly all along, none of athletic related company supported him until in 2004 about a week before his last lecture tour to the US, Nike came to him to offer him some free products. I think they more or less wanted their own promotion rather than helping him. Of course, he had to turn them down because everything else was already set. A tad too late! A similar situation was seen in the US when Bill Squires of Greater Boston Track Club could have easily created the US marathon dynasty in the 80s and 90s; no one really cared about supporting him (excpet, I believe, for New Balance). The US wouldn't have had a distance running draut had someone (even a cigarett comapny) supported Coach Squires. Many countries, like US or NZ, just don't seem to get the idea of supporting people who would "teach people how to fish". They are too busy giving money to an individual with a fish; they don't seem to foresee what could happen when that fish is gone. On the other hand, in Japan, where I'm originally from and where I served as a professinal corporate running team coach, see the value of coaches. When they create a team, they hire coaches first. Coaching is a paid position--they understand THEY are the ones who produce champions. This is the biggest reason why they keep continuity of great marathon runners second only to Kenya. Arthur was a good man.