Half Marathon or Full Marathon (Read 954 times)

I have signed up for the Denver Half Marathon in October. Lately I have been thinking about changing to the full marathon but I am not sure if I am ready. I have been running since September 2006 and have done 5 Half Marathons since December of 2007. How would you recommend I increase my training if I do decide to go for it. I don't want to hate the experience and put me off of running. I want to enjoy it and finish (BQ maybe?) Thank you for any help.
    jeffdonahue

The only real difference in your training would probably be your long runs - though you might consider making one of your other weekly runs a little longer too. Looking at your log, you have done two 13 milers recently, so I think you probably have plenty of tiem to build up your long runs to a respectable level to do a full marathon. Best of luck
        Agree with jeffdonahue Cool You have a good base - but you are lacking on longer runs...so you need to slowly lengthen your long runs....and get in a couple of 20 milers before the Marathon..........along with some 16 and 18er too..... I think you can do it....that is if you can get enough of that Mile High air to push you thru a Marathon....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, and I don't mean maybe... Do the half--try to trim some more time off your last one. See if you can gradually build up to 200 miles a month and start stringing them together for a while. Then think about beginning marathon training. You are probably more ready to start marathon training than half the people on these forums, but that doesn't mean you are ready. You are doing great now and have a good program going. Don't let the 80% of the people who are going to tell you to do it cloud your judgment. Good luck whatever you decide
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          JakeKnight

You can do it. No doubt about it. If you choose to. Start upping the mileage, get it up to 40-50 mpw for a while, and you'll do great. Don't let the 20% of people who are going to tell you not to do it cloud your judgment.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

mikeymike

80% of me wants to say, go for it--you'll be much better prepared than most first time marathoners these days. But 20% of me is saying do the half--you'll have a better experience if you wait, build to 200 miles per month and string together a few of those first. Hope that helps!

Runners run

Non ducor, duco.

80% of me wants to say, go for it--you'll be much better prepared than most first time marathoners these days. But 20% of me is saying do the half--you'll have a better experience if you wait, build to 200 miles per month and string together a few of those first. Hope that helps!
                How many is a few?
                  Well, I am going to go for it. I just sent the email to change me to the Marathon. I have 14 weeks to train. I have another 2 Half-Marathons I will be doing before than. I will probably wonder what I was thinking at mile 23 or so, but I really want to try. Even though I always said never. Never say never. I am so excited and nervous now. I will definately increase the long runs. I think in the back of my mind I had already started training when I went out for my 13 miler. Yes
                  mikeymike

I will probably wonder what I was thinking at mile 23 or so, but I really want to try.
                    We all wonder what we were thinking at mile 23. Good luck!

Runners run

Giants Fan

Personally I think you should go for it! Switch to the full. Just make sure you up your mileage wisely. I am going for my first marathon here in Sept. I only did three half marathons previously, so you are more prepared than I was. Good luck!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Run for cover! Big meany is back… If you are set on running the **** thing you might as go for that BQ. It never crossed my mind that you couldn’t finish when I expressed my “preference” for the half. I wasn’t even looking at it that way. The question I always ask myself is “what’s the best course of action for becoming a better runner?” Concerns about “enjoying the experience” don’t carry much weight with me either. Let’s face it, they all hurt during the last 10k if you try to run a time that is consistent with your fitness level. Pre and post-race festivities, the earlier parts of the race itself, and the satisfaction of having run well can make the marathon an overall enjoyable experience. However, the chances are that at least some of it is going to hurt even if you are in great shape. Your recent race times say that you have the potential to go sub-4, and with another 14 weeks to train it is possible that you would have enough miles to get the job done. However, with you being an easterner and the race being run at 5100 feet altitude it makes things tougher. It would be a big plus if you could go there a month early and get acclimated. Another thing (since I’m sure you are dying to know my opion) is that running 2 half-marathons is probably not a good idea considering the amount of time you have to train. It’s not that you couldn’t run them both, but I’m afraid they would compromise your marthon training and take some of the zip out of your legs. The half is long enough that it requires some mild tapering and 7-10 days of recovery. You’d be better off doing a solid 18-20 miler than trying to run both of them. Ask me how I know.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          Run for cover! Big meany is back… If you are set on running the **** thing you might as go for that BQ. It never crossed my mind that you couldn’t finish when I expressed my “preference” for the half. I wasn’t even looking at it that way. The question I always ask myself is “what’s the best course of action for becoming a better runner?” Concerns about “enjoying the experience” don’t carry much weight with me either. Let’s face it, they all hurt during the last 10k if you try to run a time that is consistent with your fitness level. Pre and post-race festivities, the earlier parts of the race itself, and the satisfaction of having run well can make the marathon an overall enjoyable experience. However, the chances are that at least some of it is going to hurt even if you are in great shape. Your recent race times say that you have the potential to go sub-4, and with another 14 weeks to train it is possible that you would have enough miles to get the job done. However, with you being an easterner and the race being run at 5100 feet altitude it makes things tougher. It would be a big plus if you could go there a month early and get acclimated. Another thing (since I’m sure you are dying to know my opion) is that running 2 half-marathons is probably not a good idea considering the amount of time you have to train. It’s not that you couldn’t run them both, but I’m afraid they would compromise your marthon training and take some of the zip out of your legs. The half is long enough that it requires some mild tapering and 7-10 days of recovery. You’d be better off doing a solid 18-20 miler than trying to run both of them. Ask me how I know.
                            Run for cover! Big meany is back… If you are set on running the **** thing you might as go for that BQ. It never crossed my mind that you couldn’t finish when I expressed my “preference” for the half. I wasn’t even looking at it that way. The question I always ask myself is “what’s the best course of action for becoming a better runner?” Concerns about “enjoying the experience” don’t carry much weight with me either. Let’s face it, they all hurt during the last 10k if you try to run a time that is consistent with your fitness level. Pre and post-race festivities, the earlier parts of the race itself, and the satisfaction of having run well can make the marathon an overall enjoyable experience. However, the chances are that at least some of it is going to hurt even if you are in great shape. Your recent race times say that you have the potential to go sub-4, and with another 14 weeks to train it is possible that you would have enough miles to get the job done. However, with you being an easterner and the race being run at 5100 feet altitude it makes things tougher. It would be a big plus if you could go there a month early and get acclimated. Another thing (since I’m sure you are dying to know my opion) is that running 2 half-marathons is probably not a good idea considering the amount of time you have to train. It’s not that you couldn’t run them both, but I’m afraid they would compromise your marathon training and take some of the zip out of your legs. The half is long enough that it requires some mild tapering and 7-10 days of recovery. You’d be better off doing a solid 18-20 miler than trying to run both of them. Ask me how I know.

Non ducor, duco.

FWIW Jim, I really appreciate your advice and have tried to incorporate it into what I do. Keep preachin' the good word! Someone is listening. Now, if I could only find some grass to run on!
                              RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

How many is a few?
                                A few = 3 More than a few = 4 to 5. dollysmum - run the half in October and a Spring marathon. A good HM training program is a nice lead into the mileage you need for the marathon training. Just my 2 cents.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."