km vs miles in log (Read 1637 times)

drifter

Excuse me, Trent?

eric :)

Maybe I was not clear. Both my log local and Garmin setting are in mile. My 2 workouts were imported correctly and are shown as 15 and 20 miles. However, the weekly summary is on km, ie, 24 and 32 km respectively. I checked quite some users logs, they all look like that. The summary reports are buggy.

The reporting code has been rock solid for years.  What you're seeing is not a bug.

There are two places where you can set the default distance unit.  I presume you have found and tinkered with both.  The most obvious place is in Locale Settings.  It is used in all reports except for the activity specific reports such the ones on the summary page.  If, for whatever reason, you want to use a different distance unit for an activity, you can do that by going to Options -> Manage My Activities, then click on the activity.  Mostly, this function is used by swimmers that want their swimming distance in meters or yards.

In your case, you changed the Run activity's distance unit to kilometers, so the Run reports on the summary page displays the distance in kilometers.  Once you change it back to miles, or better yet, set it to Default, then the summary page will be in the right units.

Also, the reason you're seeing kilometers in other people's logs is the site always displays numbers using your unit preferences.

eric :)

Eric,

This is wrong (unless something has changed very recently)!  There IS a bug in your system.  It is especially annoying when importing interval workouts.  I have tried setting the Garmin units to 'metric', then running my workout, importing and then .... the log STILL displays the workout in statute units.  I have tried turning off the GPS on my Garmin and running my workout, importing the workout (only 'time' is imported), editing the workout to add the distances (200/400/800m - whatever) and it STILL displays fricking miles!  I've bitched complained about this here.

I have plans to upgrade this area of the code.  It should fix this "bug", while adding other enhancements as well.

drifter

The reporting code has been rock solid for years.  What you're seeing is not a bug.

There are two places where you can set the default distance unit.  I presume you have found and tinkered with both.  The most obvious place is in Locale Settings.  It is used in all reports except for the activity specific reports such the ones on the summary page.  If, for whatever reason, you want to use a different distance unit for an activity, you can do that by going to Options -> Manage My Activities, then click on the activity.  Mostly, this function is used by swimmers that want their swimming distance in meters or yards.

In your case, you changed the Run activity's distance unit to kilometers, so the Run reports on the summary page displays the distance in kilometers.  Once you change it back to miles, or better yet, set it to Default, then the summary page will be in the right units.

Also, the reason you're seeing kilometers in other people's logs is the site always displays numbers using your unit preferences.

Yep, that's the info what I was looking for. Thanks Eric!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Excuse me, Trent?

Simple.  You were not clear.  You admitted it yourself.

Why is it sideways?

A person was not clear on the internet! Holy moly! News flash!

henryc

This is all Gerry Ford's fault. Now I'm off to drink a couple of gills of coffee.

drifter

That's fine. I am clear now what you meant, though I am not clear if you read my first post.

Take it easy pal, I said I was new here.

Yea Trent

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Take it easy pal, I said I was new here.

Welcome aboard.  I read your first post, and every other one.  At no point did I understand the problem you were attempting to describe.  Eric did not either. Nor did others.  It is fantastic that you are taking the time to provide feedback, and welcome aboard.  However, it is important to be clear and precise, often with explicit examples, if you want to get your point across.

This too: Smile

Why is it sideways?

Welcome aboard.  I read your first post, and every other one.  At no point did I understand the problem you were attempting to describe.  Eric did not either. Nor did others.  It is fantastic that you are taking the time to provide feedback, and welcome aboard.  However, it is important to be clear and precise, often with explicit examples, if you want to get your point across.

Trent, quit being an ass.

Smile

Prince of Fatness

However, it is important to be clear and precise, often with explicit examples, if you want to get your point across.

Dude, this ain't a political thread. Lighten up. Sheesh.

Not at it at all. 

xhristopher

He was Canadian and it didn't help me.

Are you blaming Canada?

kcam

I have plans to upgrade this area of the code.  It should fix this "bug", while adding other enhancements as well.

Thank you!

drifter

The explicit examples were out there in my log. You just didn't bother to click on it. As an IT professional, I envy your environment where you can abuse your users. Smile

That's enough trash talk. We are all good and I have to admit this tool is the best I have ever seen. Great job!