Two-A-Days--Any benefit for half-marathon (Read 138 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

This will be my 5th year of running the half-marathon at the Illinois Marathon on April 26th.  I have reached about 40ish miles per week with an average training pace of 9:50 per mile.  I am a runner that generally increases speed over the distance, finishing faster than when I start.  Last week my long run of 12 miles finished 9:27 per minute pace (1 hr 53 min).

I am wondering if I would get any benefit to adding a couple of 2 or 3 miles runs in the evening per week.  Most days I run 5 or 6 miles in the morning.  I would probably finish with total mileage closer to 50 miles per week.

My goal is to finish at 2 hours or better.  I have lost about 35 pounds since September, so I am pretty excited to see how this translates.  Last year I fnished at 2:11:08.

What are your thoughts about adding a couple of two-a-days in to increase my over pace?

More mileage will tend to benefit any distance greater than 400m.

People have varying opinions on doubles, but I often see the opinion that it's better to just run more in singles until you start to approach the 60-70 mpw range where continuing in singles would make every run well over an hour in length.

PS: You have a goal of 2 hours, and just finished a 12 mile long run in 1:53? Let's just say you are guaranteed to go under 2 unless you break your femur pre race. I wouldn't be surprised if you could go 1:50 or better, especially if that was just a casual long run.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Driver, Runner, Bestie

So it would be better to make a couple of the mid day week runs approach 7 or 8 miles?  I think I could make that work by getting up a little earlier.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I am hopeful, but guarded that I will have a mental breakdown.  Usually at about the 8 mile mark during the race I find myself angry, bitter and hating life and about ready to just quit!

HCH

I'm all for adding one mid-week run of at least an hour if you can make it work in your schedule. I would definitely do that before doubling.

Usually at about the 8 mile mark during the race I find myself angry, bitter and hating life and about ready to just quit!

I think pretty much EVERYONE starts to hate life around the 8 mile mark of a half marathon if s/he is really racing it. It's the point in the race where you start to tire, drift off pace, and hurt...but you've still got a long way to go. But you now have the experience to know to expect a rough patch and that you are tough enough to get through it.

I suspect you will destroy the 2 hour barrier in your race.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

I ran some doubles while "training" for those 200 mile relays. The second run may feel pretty horrible, and I'd consider leaving the watch home for that run and take it real easy.  The next day's run felt easier for having run a super easy 2-3 mile "double", so for me that was a recovery tool.

And I too think you are closer to 1:50 than 2:00, unless you raced that recent 12 mile run.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have actually found that my second run of the day is generally easier and quicker than the first.  Bear in mind that my first may be in the pre-dawn hours.

A Saucy Wench

I have actually found that my second run of the day is generally easier and quicker than the first.  Bear in mind that my first may be in the pre-dawn hours.

Yeah.  My second runs used to be a lot faster and easier.  Morning was the recovery body wake up slog.  Evenings I could fly.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A) More mileage will tend to benefit any distance greater than 400m.

B) People have varying opinions on doubles, but I often see the opinion that it's better to just run more in singles until you start to approach the 60-70 mpw range where continuing in singles would make every run well over an hour in length.

PS: You have a goal of 2 hours, and just finished a 12 mile long run in 1:53? Let's just say you are guaranteed to go under 2 unless you break your femur pre race. I wouldn't be surprised if you could go 1:50 or better, especially if that was just a casual long run.

I agree with A) and B). But, in real life, A) is all most of use need to know.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

elodie.kaye

I agree with A) and B). But, in real life, A) is all most of use need to know.

+1, except I would bold this way:

B) People have varying opinions on doubles, but I often see the opinion that it's better to just run more in singles until you start to approach the 60-70 mpw range where continuing in singles would make every run well over an hour in length.

I'm slower than the rest of you and it took me a couple years at 40-50mpw to realise I should double to get myself over the hump.

To the OP, I notice you're not running any tempos or 3-5min. intervals.  At 40mpw, you could afford to do a little of one or the other once a week.  For me, additional intensity was a much bigger bang than doubles at that point.  You'll probably get around to medium long runs and doubles too, but a little more balance in your training is not a bad thing.  However, Apr 26 is not enough time to gain much from any of this.  Just dance with the girl who brought you and have a good time.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Quick update.  I added a mid run week of 7 miles, which took me over an hour.  Probably not the longest, but all of my runs are predawn and at some point, I gotta get some sleep.  I ran my half this weekend and finished with 1:58:24.  Frankly, I could have probably pushed it in hindsight.  The race has really crushed me in the past and last night, I went out for a birthday bash and had about 7 giant Guinness. And still ran 4 miles in the morning!

Yea for making arbitrary goals and still being able to drink afterwards.

Run n Drum

Outstanding!  Congrats on breaking the 2-hour mark.