Training for a Half: Another long run or a 10K (Read 454 times)

What do you feel is better to prepare for a half marathon. Another long run (have done many over 10 miles in the past few weeks) or a 10K race?
    xor

Missing piece of information: When is this half with respect to all these over-10 milers you've been doing? As for those "over 10 milers", how much over?

mikeymike

As for those "over 10 milers", how much over?
        That little "view log" linky is awesome. I vote 10k race. Do a longish warmup and longish cooldown and you'll get over 10 miles anyway. And a 10k race is damn good half marathon training. Unless the 10k is less than 10 days before the half, then just do an easy long run.

Runners run

That little "view log" linky is awesome. I vote 10k race. Do a longish warmup and longish cooldown and you'll get over 10 miles anyway. And a 10k race is damn good half marathon training. Unless the 10k is less than 10 days before the half, then just do an easy long run.
          Mike, it's 3 weeks before.
          mikeymike

Mike, it's 3 weeks before.
            Perfect timing for a 10K race. I'd do a 3-4 mile warmup with a couple of stides. Race the 10K all out, and do a 2-3 mile cooldown.

Runners run

That little "view log" linky is awesome.
              Just another unrepentant Masshole. Clowning around

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.