5k - do you care how exact the distance is? (Read 906 times)

I'm in a small bind for a race we're sponsoring at the end of the month and I'm not sure what to do. Our company is the sole sponsor of small race that's taking place around the Blue Monster Course @ the Doral in Miami. We've advertised the course as being a 5k, though it's not going to be a "hard core" event and we're expecting less than 50 runners. The on-site coordinator is giving me two options: 1) A very cool course that goes around the Blue Monster Golf Course (which will be closed during the race). It's a loop, with no repeating. However, they're telling me that it would only be 2.8 miles or so. 2) An out and back course. Obviously, less scenic and a bit less fun to run. But it could be exactly 3.1 miles. My first move it so see if they can tweak the first option, but my question is - if I can't tweak course 1 - what should I do? I'm enough of a math geek that I'm leaning toward the boring but exact course but thought I'd put it out there for opinions.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Lazy idiot

If you can modify the start/finish of the loop course, go with that. Who says they have to be the same point? But I think if you're advertising a 5-K distance, you should provide 5-K (and use the out and back if necessary). If you're going to have a 2.8 mile course, advertise it as such. My $0.02

Tick tock

But I think if you're advertising a 5-K distance, you should provide 5-K (and use the out and back if necessary). If you're going to have a 2.8 mile course, advertise it as such.
        Drew is wise. I agree.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Find a way to tweak the first option. Overlap the start & finish if you have to. I hate not being able to compare my race times because the distance is wrong.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

16,404 feet, 2.39 inches. No more, no less. Clowning around In all seriousness, I'd recommend doing what you can to make it 5k in length. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be ticked if I showed up to something advertised as a 5k, and it was off by that much. I'd say do option 1, but stretch it out into 5 kilometers. If you overlapped the finish line so that it was 0.3 past the start on the loop, you could do it. Having run lots of 5k courses on and around golf courses for x-country, I can say it doesn't take much. If all of the curves were made a little bit wider, you could add some distance there. Think of it this way. Assuming the course was a perfectly circular loop, than the difference in radius between a 3.1 mile loop and a 2.8 mile loop is only (3.1-2.8)/2π =0.048 mi = 84 yards. Meaning you don't have to stretch things out very much to reach your desired distance of 5k.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It's not really that important to get the distance correct and 2.8 miles is close enough to 3.1 that no one will notice. Us runners don't really care about the tenths all that much anyway plus a scenic run is probably worth the extra .3 miles (you also could try and make sure the course is into the wind as the wind-adjusted distance might be +.3). In fact, sometimes when I run mile repeats I only run three laps and just round up. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can sign-up for a 20 mile marathon? That would be cool.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

It's not really that important to get the distance correct and 2.8 miles is close enough to 3.1 that no one will notice. Us runners don't really care about the tenths all that much anyway plus a scenic run is probably worth the extra .3 miles (you also could try and make sure the course is into the wind as the wind-adjusted distance might be +.3). In fact, sometimes when I run mile repeats I only run three laps and just round up. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can sign-up for a 20 mile marathon? That would be cool.
                Big grin hah! Best answer so far. Imagine you show up to run. You don't know the course is short. You run the race of your life, and if the course had been measured correctly you would have PRd by a huge margin. But it's not. It's short. You are pissed off. You find out the race organizer made it short on purpose. You yell at the race organizer. At the very least.

sean

Yes. We care. Your desire to use the scenic course has clouded your judgment. I wouldn't even consider advertising a 5k race and using a 2.8 mile course. I'd hold it on an indoor track with 1/10th mile laps before knowingly making it that short.
                    I care a lot. I would never, ever key for a race that is not run on a certified course. If you want to have your race on a 2.8 mile course, then call it a 2.8 mile race. Just make sure that it really is 2.8 miles. Garmin measurements and odometers don't cut it. It's a big, big deal.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                    jeffdonahue

If you are advertising a 5K, make it a 5K. I ran in a race (where nobody expected it to be hard core or anything and it probably had about 50 runners - just a local fundraiser race) that they had advertised as a 5K. Well, someone changed the course last minute because they said it was short. It ended up being about 3.5 miles and a lot of people were up in arms about it. They complained and told the race director not to post the results on coolrunning because it woudl throw off their average race pace if it went on there as a 5K. It was kind of a disaster. i would check into tweaking the first option, but most people that sign up for a 5K want it to be pretty exact so they can compare their times. I woudl think that if it is a golf course and you are running on the course, maybe you could double loop past a few holes or something. Good luck
                        Put a bunch of treadmills at the end and make them jump on and run .3 right at the finish line.
                        Scout7

It's a fun run. You could do what one local RD around here does: he has races that he designates as being 7.25 miles (give or take). Literally, that's the description. Pretzel City Sports Look at the Chilly Cheeks app. If you're marketing it as a fun run, who gives a fig? Heck, even in HS XC we had variances on the courses.
                            Good grief. Just advertise it as a 2.8 race. Everyone will PR because no one will have ever or ever again run that oddball distance. PRs for everyone! Wheeeeee!

As others said, either use the 2.8 mile route and make that the official distance in the race name and advertising, or make sure the route is at least 3.11 miles if you call it a 5k and advertise it as so. It might be a small, low key race, but some nmber of the participants will expect it to be as advertised. Nothing is more frustrating to an experienced runner than to run an apparent PR and learn or suspect afterwards that the course was short. My race log includes a 2.7 mile race that was advertised as such. There is nothing wrong with doing that as long as you are honest about it. In fact, the Falmouth Road Race, a classic east coast race that draws 10,000 entrants each year, is an odd distance....7.1 miles....and no one complains.
                                I'd rather the 2.8 route if it's really that much more scenic, as long as it's clearly advertised as 2.8. I'm sure there are plenty of 5k's in Miami for the hardcore crowd who is only interested in their 5k PR.