Running Advise (Read 736 times)

frankaarthur

I started running after a very long time of not running, I am over weight and started jogging, but did too much to soon and ended up hurting my knee. I have taken some time off and are wondering how to approach this again. Is there any training or a place where I can go for advice on how to start off and build up my running.
      Best build-up I've done involved the following: No more than two days in a row for a minimum of three weeks. No more than three days in a row for a minimum of three weeks. No more than four days in a row for a minimum of three weeks. Don't run hard two days in a row. When in doubt, do less, not more.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have you ever looked at the Couch to 5K Plan? It's a 9 week plan which paces you to not do too much too soon and by the end you'll be running either 30 minutes at a time or 5K at a time. We have a group for C25K (see the link in my signature). Come check out our group and get more details on it! It's helped a lot of runners get into running or get back into running after injuries!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I second the C25K plan. It rocks.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I second the C25K plan. It rocks.
            I've never used the C25K plan, but there are so may people in Running Ahead that have used it and swear by it, but it just has to be good. I did read it once and I really liked the way it gradually builds up, and brings a beginner along......It looks really good - I wish I could get my wife to try it...... You definately should take a good look at it....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Baby bean!

Definitely take a peak at the C25K forum. Everyone is very supportive and the program itself is gradual which beginning runners need. And remember, it takes time. you will not see results overnight, but you will see them.

Goals:
              Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Member Since 2008

Start walking. Walk for a couple of weeks without trying to jog, then jog/walk on and off. The best thing you can do is take your time and don't rush. Your joints and muscles need to get used to the new changes and it takes time.

12-week layoff

Years ago, I bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, and found it to be an excellent resource. It has training advise, and a program similar to Couch to 5-K, and it also addresses things such as clothing, shoes, racing, avoiding injury, and other topics near and dear to runners. I would recommend it to any beginning runner.
                  Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Start walking. Walk for a couple of weeks without trying to jog, then jog/walk on and off. The best thing you can do is take your time and don't rush. Your joints and muscles need to get used to the new changes and it takes time.
                    The C25K program actually works in this manner. You start walking more than jogging and eventually get to jogging more. It is really a great program - I can't say enough good about it.

TRUST THE PROCESS

frankaarthur

I just wanted thank everybody for their replies. It's tons of help.