Most Annual Miles Run Since 1980--Age 66 (2,680--2 days to get to 2,700) (Read 1255 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Good to hear from ya, Nick! Nice mileage!

Ex runner

Nick, you are my idol!    My goal is to run until 100 (only 45 1/2 yrs to go) & your sound advice/experience is what will enable that goal to be achieved.  2700? wow that is alot of miles for anyone/any age.
      KMB

(almost) unbelievably impressive... what an inspiration, Nick

Thanks

kmb

Again, thanks for the nice comments. I did finish the yr at 2,701 miles. Took off New Years Day. Ran a solid 10 this AM. My goal for 2010 is to cut back on the miles--maybe 2,000-2,200 and improve on the quality of some of my runs. Hey, we always have to tweak things a little. Keep running/moving/ walking. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. Oh, make it fun--but you all know that--don't you?

Nick

Another Passion

Congratulations on a banner year, Nick!  Happy New Year!

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Nick,
              wish I had read your comments when I first started running and over doing it. Am no a believer in slower is better. Anyway I hope to still be running when I am 66 and beyone, only 3 years from now. But then I got started late. Goal for 2010 is to run 1000 mi, but then I do not focus on miles, I focus on time on feet. So one goal is to increase weekly running/jogging time to 7 or more hours, which should get me above 25mi/wk.

Thanks for the entry and keep on keeping on!

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

runnershawn

I have been very fortunate. Started logging miles in April, 1976 (age 32-after quitting smoking-pack a day for 12 yrs prior). Currently at 70,535 miles. Ran 2,508 last yr--including a BQ 3:57 at  64 1/2. With 2700 this year, that is the most I have run in 2 consecutive years in over 33 yrs of running. Proud and more importantly--very greatful.

446 races from 1 mile to 100K--well I DNF the 100K. 17 marathons:PR:3:16 back in '85. 50 mile PR:8:12 early 80's. 1 sub 18 minute 5K in '85. 10K PR: 36:42 in '85. Was a good yr. Note: I PR'd every distance nearly 10 yrs after I started logging the miles. I find that true of a lot of folks.

I have coached a lot of runners over the yrs. Best advice I can give runners is slow down, make it fun, it is OK to walk some, rest days are a good idea. I normally train at 2-3 minutes slower than my race pace. When I ran 5:50's for 5/10K's I trained around 9 min mile pace. Currently average between 7:20-7:40 per mile for 5K/10K and train at 10:30's +.

I have seen many runners come and go over the last 3+ decades. Most join the largest running club in the world--I Use To Run But........Club. The vast majority that I know in that club ran too fast, too often, too far and never developed one of the most important attributes of a lifetime runner:PATIENCE.

Thanks for letting me blow my horn. Remember---there is no finish line.

Nick

Thanks Nick, really enjoyed and learning from this post.  Congrats!!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WTG, Nick!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/