Snake oil? (Read 1421 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm tempted to be critical of the protein drinks, but I sometimes treat myself to a milkshake @$3.95.  Still think the milkshake tastes better.

bhearn

It's more like $2.50/serving ($~37 for 15 servings at amazon), and some spend a lot more than that every day at Starbucks! 

Moreover, on easy and/or shorter days, perhaps you wouldn't need as large of a serving, or need to use this product. I only use the full serving of my recovery drink on key days. On easy/recovery days, I either just eat normal food, or use 1/2 a serving. 

Yeah. 1 "serving" is 2 scoops (320 calories), but I just use 1 scoop for under 8 miles.
      stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I think you are a prime candidate for me to sell some nutriceuticals to Smile 

Okay, I'm a sucker.

Got my Ultragen yesterday.  Mixed in half a scoop with a smoothy about an hour after the run.   Taste was compatible (Mocha).  Waiting for my next hard workout to try again.  I figure $9/week on this stuff isn't that bad.

I order it from Amazon from Endurance Cyclist.  They shipped it in an over-sized envelope.  Unfortunately, the lid cracked, spilling a trivial amount of the powder and making the lid useless.  I contacted EC and told them I didn't need a return or anything, just thought they should know.  They were very nice and offered to send me some single-serving packets and a new lid.  Very nice customer service.

Unfortunately, they don't make sampler packs in Orange or Tropical Fruit flavors.

Anyway, got my snake-oil.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay, the "Cappuccino" flavor is not repulsive.  I don't really like normal cappuccino, so I can't speak to the verisimilitude.  Not sure if its doing anything, but it is much easier to pound in the protein uptake window than an egg-sandwich.  Also, more transportable than milk.

Anyone know if the Orange flavor is not nasty?  Might try that next.

MTA: "can't speak"  No idea why I often drop negatives.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

bhearn

The Cappuccino is repulsive to me. But then, I hate all coffee. I always drink the Tropical Punch. I think I got the Orange Cream by mistake once, and didn't like it.

Honestly I'd prefer something with a flavor more like chocolate milk, but the Tropical Punch is fine.

Queen of 3rd Place

Then there's the wacky Koreans.

AAAH! There went my coffee all over the keypad! 

Wasn't there a study published that suggested beer is a good recovery drink? I think it was done with soccer players. 

Ex runner

Greg McMillan tells his runners to eat milkshake after the workout for refueling of carb (sugar) and protein as well as cooling of the core body temperature.  No science involved there...or was it?

4 out of 5 scientists agree: Coke Slurpees taste really f'ing good after a 15-mile run in stoopid-hot weather.