Is it possible to have normal-arched footprints but still flat feet when running? (Read 573 times)

Junior Amphibian

My right foot seems to be rolling inward while running (the left one is fine) but when I take my footprints, the arches seem normal. Is it possible that during exercise the force of gravity collapses the arch with each step, so in effect the person is running on flat feet?

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have an arch that looks "average" when I'm not bearing weight, but when I stand they are a little on the flat side...and during a gait analysis I was told I moderately pronate, but the shoe that works best for me is for mild pronation correction. Are you having any issues/pain when running? If not, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

There are also other reasons for apparent pronation other than arches. I went through a period with weak piriformis that caused my pelvis to tilt when running which collapsed the legs inwards. I think if your arches were collapsing with each step you would know (ouch).

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

finney

Resident pinniped

I think if your arches were collapsing with each step you would know (ouch).
          Not necessarily. There is a foot type that looks perfectly normal when the person is sitting down, but is flat as a pancake when the foot is under load. I should know, I have them. I always knew I had this, but had no problems with my feet until I started running. The posterior tibial tendon connects at the arch of your foot. So, when my arches collapse when running, I was essentially "snapping" that tendon with every step, like a rubber band. I eventually ended up with shin splints so bad they'd wake me up at night. I tried exercises and different shoes but the only thing that fixed my issues were orthotics. Strengthening my feet didn't help in my case, you can't enhance what nature didn't give you.