Pre Race Warm up (Read 159 times)

dblendc

In an interview Jack Daniels suggested including a 3 to 5 min segment in your warm up at the desired race pace. He justifies this by saying something along the lines of, when you run intervals the second one always feels easier than the first.

So I’m asking you fellow runners, do you include such a segment in your pre-race warm up if so why or why not?

In the past I have included 100 m (give or take) strides in warm ups, and even a min or two at race pace to sort of have my body/lungs feel what's ahead. However, I do have to agree with the good Dr. that the other days 2-4 intervals felt easier than the first one did. So I’m kind of in the middle on this one. Interested to hear what others have to say.

thanks,

d

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm open to the idea, though five minutes would be pushing it a little more than I'm comfortable with.  Besides...my time management being what it is, if I ever made it to a race early enough to hit the porta-potties and run for five minutes, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

#artbydmcbride

It would depend on the length of the race.    A mile, or a 5k; yes.  A marathon, no

Runners run

I don't necessarily do a continuous 3 to 5 segment at race pace.  My warm up is typically 2+ EASY miles  where I throw in 3 to 4 surges of maybe about a minute duration toward the end of my warm up.  Then I try to get in 6+ strides right before the start that are slightly faster than race pace - so the shorter the race, the faster the strides are.  This seems to get me ready to roll.

It's probably more of a personal thing.  If you're trying something new, just try it before a workout and see how it feels. 

bap

I've been doing a one mile  easy jog, then strides and dynamic warmups about 30 minutes before the start. Then it's just a case of staying warm and jogging a bit to get loose. I don't think I've raced more than 4 miles since I started this routine but I took 90 seconds off my 5K PR in the space of 8 days.

Certified Running Coach
            Crocked since 2013

NHLA

Anything shorter than a 10k you really need to warm up.

Warm up with the runner who won your AG last time.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It would depend on the length of the race.    A mile, or a 5k; yes.  A marathon, no

For a mile, doing 3-5min at your race pace is a might be a bit too strenuous a warmup.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

For a mile, doing 3-5min at your race pace is a might be a bit too strenuous a warmup.

On the flip side, you might get a PR during your warmup.

Dave

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

On the flip side, you might get a PR during your warmup.

I would happily take it. But I know that guys like you want to have photo proof for national records ratification and all that stuff.

brandicted

Agreed....

BeeRunB

I run easy for 15-20 minutes, good enough. Not sure, scientifically, if that is even necessary,  but I feel better when  I get to the starting line. I did this before all my best races, and worst.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

On a lark I signed up for a one-miler last year through downtown Minneapolis. I ran to the race, about 4+ miles from where I lived at the time. I ran a great-for-me time of 6:03.9. Then I ran home on the high of the race.

This year I'm doing another one-miler, now in Indianapolis. I don't plan on running 4+ miles this time as my warm-up, but I will certainly make sure I'm loose, warm, sweating, and ready to go as fast as I possibly can when the gun fires.

For Ten Milers, Half Marathons, and a Full, I don't do much ... if the temps are cold, I warm up enough just to be sure that I'm not cold, but that's about it.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You should carry at least a four foot plank during your warmup; shorter isn't enough to be effective.

You should carry at least a four foot plank during your warmup; shorter isn't enough to be effective.

Doesn't that depend on the race distance?

Dave

shorter isn't enough to be effective.

Oh and also, TWSS.

Dave