Buying a bike (Read 1355 times)

A Trek 1000 for $700 (and no shop support) is not a good deal, and given what you're planning to do on it, you're better off with the Pilot. The 1000 has "race" geometry, which will put you more bent over, with more weight on your hands and shoulders and more stress on your neck and lower back. The Pilot will be more upright (but certainly not to the point of being an ice-cream ride bike); you'll like it. Definitely get the drop-bar version, though. Flat bars have only one way you can sit, drop bars you have 3 or 4 (on the tops, on the brake levers, and on the drops). Changing position helps keep you stay comfortable on longer rides. did
    Can you comment on the Specialized Allez Triple? I bought 2 years ago and did some rides up to 30 miles and some sprint tris on it but nothing longer.
    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Can you comment on the Specialized Allez Triple? I bought 2 years ago and did some rides up to 30 miles and some sprint tris on it but nothing longer.
      In what sense? The Allez is Spec's sort of "all purpose" racish bike - not the hardcore Tarmac or the relaxed Roubaix. If it fits you, shifts when you tell it to, and goes forward when you pedal, everything else is just details... did

In what sense? The Allez is Spec's sort of "all purpose" racish bike - not the hardcore Tarmac or the relaxed Roubaix. If it fits you, shifts when you tell it to, and goes forward when you pedal, everything else is just details... did
        It does fit me well and does everything I want in a bike for the short riding that I do but my knowledge is not great when it comes to bikes. I just wanted to hear about the bike from someone that knows what they are talking about (other than the owner of the shop) and was just curious to hear your comments on the geometry of the bike like you did on the Trek.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

It does fit me well and does everything I want in a bike for the short riding that I do but my knowledge is not great when it comes to bikes. I just wanted to hear about the bike from someone that knows what they are talking about (other than the owner of the shop) and was just curious to hear your comments on the geometry of the bike like you did on the Trek.
          I glanced at the geometry of the Allez vs. the Tarmac, and it appears that they're actually about the same, so the Allez is more of a race bike. The difference seems to be material - all the Tarmacs are full carbon frames, the Allez is aluminum with a few carbon bits. In either case, it'll steer faster, and might feel unstable to someone who's not used to it. The Roubaix is more relaxed, without being sluggish. Basically, you've got a race bike, in terms of geometry; it wouldn't be my first choice for long-distance cruising, but if it's comfortable for you, nothing else really matters. did

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Doh. They made a mistake and did not have a complete set of Mavic Aksium wheels. So instead they gave me an upgrade to a Shimano 540 wheelset at no additional charge. Is this good?
              Most likely Trent, "upgrade" is more like an even swap...or drop? Read just a few reviews on the 540's and well, keep the spokes lightly oiled cause they appear to have a problem with extreme rusting? But they should serve you well.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The bike came with factory wheels. They offered me a $200 credit for these and I then upgraded to a better set, the Mavic Aksium wheelset. They retail at $240. The Shimano 540 wheelset has a retail of $300. Rust? Huh.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

it doesn't seem that Shimano makes them anymore, but I think I remember them as being a pretty decent wheel. The oddball thing about Shimano wheels is that they put the spoke nipple at the hub rather than at the rim, which can make truing a wheel a bit difficult (for the rear wheel, you have to remove the cluster, but that's a 3 minute thing once you have the right tools). As long as they'll stand behind them, I'd be OK with it. did

I glanced at the geometry of the Allez vs. the Tarmac, and it appears that they're actually about the same, so the Allez is more of a race bike. The difference seems to be material - all the Tarmacs are full carbon frames, the Allez is aluminum with a few carbon bits. In either case, it'll steer faster, and might feel unstable to someone who's not used to it. The Roubaix is more relaxed, without being sluggish. Basically, you've got a race bike, in terms of geometry; it wouldn't be my first choice for long-distance cruising, but if it's comfortable for you, nothing else really matters. did
                    Thanks for the review, I appreciate it.
                      So, how's the bike working out?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bike is good, but I won't get to use it in earnest until after the kiddos go back to school. Three more weeks.
                          I had a very vivid dream last night in which I bought a road bike and started commuting on it every day. I might make that reality after my fall marathon.

Runners run

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I'm startin' to rub off on all y'all! did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm startin' to rub off on all y'all! did
                              ...not gonna say anything.... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...not gonna say anything.... Tongue k
                                I wasn't going to say anything either Big grin

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group