Is this a good 10k schedule?? (Read 664 times)

Hi everyone, I have my sights set on my first 10K sometime in Spring 08. Ive only been running since Summer 07. I started first for weight loss, but quickly became addicted. I was running an 11mm, but started to have some ankle pain so dropped it down to about a 12+mm. I'm still trying to builld a good base, so I know the slower the better. I wanted to post my schedule here and see if anyone can help with any comments. I just started this schedule b/c as my miles increased, the day was shortening and I have a very unusual work schedule that wont allow much running. Heres my new sched: Sunday - Interval run for approx 3 miles or 35mins Monday - Weight train (working day) Tuesday - Weight train (working day) Wednesday - Rest (working day) Thursday - Easy or Tempo run 3 - 4miles Friday - Long Run (currently up to 6 miles) Sat - Rest My work sched is tricky b/c I work 4 night shifts in a row consisting of 1 day of 7 hours, and 3 consec 11 hr shifts. That is why Mon-Wed there is no running, it just isnt possible after I wake up, make dinner, walk dogs, etc. I'm not real familiar with any technical aspects of running, but I do know to slowly increase my mileage and that speed will come eventually. Can anybody give me any feedback on this schedule? Does it look ok or am I pushing it too much? Should I increase my mileage every week, or every 2? Thanks in advance! Also, before I forget, I have only run 2 5ks, one of which got really screwed up and "didn't count" My first 5k in Sept was done in 38:45, and then I ran a 5mile during Thanksgiving with a time of 58:02.
    t_runner

Wow, that's a rough work schedule! Good for you for still getting out there, lots of people would just give up! My first thought was that a tempo run, followed immediately by a long run would have just about done me in when I was a new runner! Is your Sunday run faster intervals? I wouldn't think you would need both a interval run and a tempo run in the same week, especially in an effort to build your base and increase your long run distance. So I would probably switch things up and always make Thursday an easy run, if it was me. Can you switch your dog walking to dog jogging at all? If you're walking them anyway on your really tough work days, you could get an extra 20-30 minute run in occasionally. If your dogs are good at walking with you, they'd be good at running at a slow pace too probably (one exception would be the pug I used to have, he simply couldn't move his legs fast enough even to keep up with a 13-14 minute/mile pace!) Good luck!
        I think that schedule looks fine. You've got three days of running and two days of cross training on top of a tough work schedule. I tend to agree with t that a tempo run followed by a long run might be tough most weeks so I'd probably keep that tempo run on the easy side or you could make Thursday an easy run and give yourself the option of picking it up for the last 2 miles of Friday's long run if you're feeling it. Don't worry that you have to always be increasing mileage to keep improving. You could keep the same mileage for many weeks or even months and continue to improve. It's the accumulation of miles over the long term that matters. The key is consistency and not to get burned out or injured. Increase mileage when you feel you need to.

Runners run

Oh Mighty Wing

How long have you been running? Some would say if you are fairly new to the sport you don't need tempo or intervals runs. You can just run and you will improve. For my 10K I didn't do anything different but a hill workout and i've been getting faster just because i'm doing more. Good Luck!!
            Thanks so much everyone! To answer your Q's, the tempo run I listed on Thurs usually just winds up being an easy run. And my intervals areant too challenging (i dont think). I usually just run on the TD at 5.5 mph (my norm is like 4.5mph) for 2 min and then walk for 1min, I do this for a total of 35 mins And NO the dogs cant come with me. I have two to wrestle and while one could probably do it if I trained her for running at a very basic level, the other one is getting too old. and obviously i just dont have the time to start my one dog on a running schedule. Maybe someday....shes got a little too much cushioning too! I appreciate the support. I am a CR crossover too, so this is my first post with you guys. Love the site!
              Is it possible for you to do a medium long run on Monday say 5 miles with the last two at a faster pace. This way if you just run easy on Friday, you can get the long run, the easy run and a tempo/med long run in just 3 sessions. This should put your mileage at 14-15 miles per week and if you can get that upto 18-20 miles by a couple of weeks before race day you should be ready for a 10K or even a 15K-Half marathon with only a bit more mileage.

SMART Approach

If you are stuck to 3 times per week of running, then I am with HM hopeful's advice. Try to get two longer runs in per week and on the shorter of the two, finish strong the last 2 miles (not killer). Work up to this. The other long run is at a comfortable pace like 13 min pace or so working up to 8-9 miles over time. If you can get to 20 miles per week down the road, you will be ready to perform adequately. If you can squeeze in a 4th day of running, just run slowly for whatever you can. You are a new runner with a lot of progress ahead. Take your time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A tough work schedule for sure and I give you credit for running as much as you do. However, you are only getting in around ten miles a week and that won't allow you to improve much before your 10K. You can already run six miles so you'll be able to complete the 10K, you just won't be able to run it much faster than you can right now. With your limited base, I would cut out all speed work and concentrate on just building mileage.Higher mileage will do you you more more good than speed work with a lot less chance of injury. When your work schedule allows, and your mileage gets up around 20+ miles a week, that would be the time to add some limited speed work such as tempo runs, fartlek's or hills work. Until then, as much easy running as you can get in is your best bet. Good luck, Tom