Dont want to share. (Read 959 times)

In the office, I'm the running guy. It's what makes me different than the rest of the office drones. They wanted to hear about my Chicago marathon experience. They are floored that I'm still alive. It amazes them that I'll run 8 to 10 miles on the weekends. Now however we've got about 3 others that have started running. That's great. They come to me for advice and I'll freely give it. But there is a part of me...that selfish part...that wants them to quit. I've enjoyed my "celebrity" status in the office and really don't want to share the spotlight. Anyone else feel that way sometimes?
      Nope. I'd love to have coworkers interested in running, actual runners would be even better.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Fool

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Congrats for being so inspiring to those around you. Remember the pain and difficulty starting out - they are going through that because your running impressed them enough to follow your lead. I'm kind of envious...
          Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Congrats for being so inspiring to those around you. Remember the pain and difficulty starting out - they are going through that because your running impressed them enough to follow your lead. I'm kind of envious...
          I know that's the view I should take, but I guess I'm just a selfish MF'er. I'll just have to make sure I get better in my running to keep them on the bottom. Smile

Fool

Hey, you know you're REALLY a celebrity when people want to be like you. Keep up the good work.
              Now if that damn paparazzi would leave me alone! Big grin
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I know where you're coming from; I've felt that way about other things, but never about running. I'd love it if the office folks here would take it up, but that's not happening any time soon. If they got faster than me, I'd be pissed, though.

Hey, nice marmot!

Look at the bright side, I'm sure your title of "Marathon-guy" will hold for a good while.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

My legs are killing me

Look at the bright side, I'm sure your title of "Marathon-guy" will hold for a good while.
                    I agree! You ran a marathon - you'll be king of the hill for a long time. Besides how many people that start running acutally stick with it.

Bugs

I hope you're faster than them. Smile Maybe you'll have some new friends to car-pool to races too. The sport is big enough for millions.

Bugs

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I get a kick out of it now when one of my acquaintances comes up and says, "Teresa, I'm running a mile every day!" or asks me questions as if I'm the guru. "From Couch Potato to Guru!" But as Sully mentioned, most people don't stick with it for very long.
                          I agree! You ran a marathon - you'll be king of the hill for a long time.
                          You know all those posts that ask why some people have a problem with people 'doing' marathons,, even though they did not properly train or walked a portion. I do not intend to assert that anyone on this thread feels that way,, because I don't know. But everytime I see those threads, the thought occurs that some may feel that their accomplishment holds less prestige when many others do it without the dedication. It's called human nature and I like that Get Gone can admit it,,,

~Gordo~

Embrace your new 'running mates' at work. I was a lone runner at the last place I was stationed. By the time I left 3 of them were getting ready to enter their first 5K. It was great to be their "coach" and watch them go from joggers to runners. ~Gordo
                            !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~

Hopefully you get over it. Having people to run with at lunch can be great.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Just start doing crazy adventure racing. Then you'll be known as the "crazy adventure 100+km runner guy."