Long run blues (Read 2020 times)

I get 8 hrs of sleep every night, and always have a post long run nap. I love those naps and know for sure that they are critical in my recovery.

Jen Southern Mississippi http://therunningartist.blogspot.com/
    passthebutter

Thanks for posting this, long run blues, that's what I have been calling it all these years. Those naps are great. I'm getting back into running again, my LR was 14 this morning, and will increase it by one mile each week, usually Saturdays are my LR. My goal is to get back into marathon shape, and hopefully a sub 3:00 next Fall.  I find that diet is important pre and post LR.Carbs and protein, raw veggies.  I am stretching more, something I lacked years ago, but didn't seem to need it, as now, 25 years later, stretching is a must. I do yoga stretches 1-3 times a day. The LR does knock me out for almost the rest of the day, long run blues. Yet I find I am much calmer, relaxed, and humble. This is what running, distance running does for us. I love the morning runs, where I live in Jersey, the country air smells, nature, hills, and now and then a fellow runner. I like the morning runs, early, running while the sun is coming up, and things are usually quiet on Saturday mornings. Come Monday, and even Sunday the energy boost, and satisfaction of the long run kicks in. The next level of fitness that we receive that translates into more powerful non-LR workouts. The LR is our staple, or base, and our trial, but after the trial comes the blessing. May we be thankful for our health, and the opportunities to experience long runs, and long run blues.

BeeRunB

I have been adding to my long run gradually and have pushed it up to 15 miles.

I can run it no prob, with a little soreness next day as you might expect.  I do this run on a weekend, when I can have as much of the day free as possible.  Turns out that this is a good thing as, since my run has been this long, I have had a nap later that day every time I that have done it.

This hasn't been a problem yet as it hasn't interfered with any plans.

Is this something others experience?  I try to get at least 6 hours sleep the night before, I have a cereal bar, coffee and a few sips of water before the run, a Gatorade or similar during and then I try to eat a good breakfast (porridge usually) within 30 mins of finishing.

I am feeling like I have to write-off the rest of the day when I complete this run.  I think my body must be shattered as I have slept later in the day everytime I have done it (since hitting 14.5-15 miles). 

Is this normal?

Cheers,

Bernie

MTA spelling

Normal for me. Long runs don't shatter your body, but they do give it a generous load to recover from. It's important to get the sleep if you need it and to eat well the rest of the day to refill your glycogen stores. Not a day to diet or eat low-carb. Read some of the studies on long runs. On micro levels it can take a few weeks to fully recover from the distance. I like doing long runs on Friday or Saturday if possible so I can sleep in the next day. Normally I need 6 hours sleep, but after a long run, I'll get 9-10 easily, along with extra naps. If you find yourself getting a bit cranky that night after the run---eat, eat, eat.

Congrats on reaching 15 miles.Cool

passthebutter

Many good comments on this site concerning LR, or long run blues. Thank you.  Comfortably numb, that's how I feel after a LR.  Yes, we need to listen to our bodies; feel as we move about walking after LR workouts. Yes, recovering time is diminished as we adapt, and plateau off at whatever our LR distance goal may be. I find that 2-3 days before my LR, or 2-3 days after, doing 1/2 the distance at a light to moderate pace throwing in some 30 x 30s prepares me for my LR.  30 x 30s =  30 seconds fast, not all out, but fast, then 30 seconds light pace, 30 seconds fast . . .  My pace for my LR is moderate. I think the longer  (or slower the pace) especially if the LR is on the road, there is more pounding that translates into more stiffness and recovery time.

passthebutter

Normal for me. Long runs don't shatter your body, but they do give it a generous load to recover from. It's important to get the sleep if you need it and to eat well the rest of the day to refill your glycogen stores. Not a day to diet or eat low-carb. Read some of the studies on long runs. On micro levels it can take a few weeks to fully recover from the distance. I like doing long runs on Friday or Saturday if possible so I can sleep in the next day. Normally I need 6 hours sleep, but after a long run, I'll get 9-10 easily, along with extra naps. If you find yourself getting a bit cranky that night after the run---eat, eat, eat.

Congrats on reaching 15 miles.Cool

Hi. Hope those participating in LR and experiencing LR blues are doing well. I agree with the above post about micro levels needing time to recover. I wonder how or what the role of protein does to quicken or help with this. Concerning protein intake. Any suggestions will help. Most of my protein comes from the supplement drinks. I usually have 2-3 protein drinks a day, and always one within that 1/2 hour time period of a post workout. One of the protein mix is the egg whites, I think the amino acids are greater from egg products, but not sure. I'm not a big meat eater, but love fish, salmon especially, usually 2-3 times a week I'll have fish. Tuna fish also. Chicken and turkey. I  get most of my carbs from whole grains, whole grain pasta, and pasta, rice, and a variety of beans. Vegetables and fruit. My lack in my diet is vegetables. I do need more desire or self-discipline for this. I take vitamin supplements, I have found that a company called Melalueca has a vitamin line that helps the best for me.I always feel better when I eat right. Though i am tempted, especially after a LR to consume junk food, and sometimes I do, and justify it because of my LR. For me loosing the weight is a priority. I want to get under 180, right now I'm 189-190, six feet tall, so I consider myself a heavier runner.

15 this morning. The last mile and a half was hard, half of it is hills, but my over all pace was faster than last weeks 14  miler; I think this is because it is cooler now, the Jersey summer was hot this year; probably 15-20 seconds per mile slower during the hot months, even though I'm up early to try and beat the heat.