What's your resting heart rate? (Read 352 times)

Latent Runner

I've got more than one running friend whose work physical resulted in them having to wear a 24 hour monitor to prove they didn't have an issue, and the physician would refuse to even consider it could be a normal result of an endurance activity lifestyle.  Some people's heads are just in the sand about this.

Yeah, I tried to explain to the guy last summer that I run, a lot, and that's why my RHR is low.  He said, "Nope, sorry, a slow heart beat in only considered healthy when you are both young and a highly trained endurance athlete; at fifty-six you're too old to have a healthy resting heart beat of 42.

Hmmm, I guess it is impossible to be old and in good shape at the same time.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I read a book about the biological origins of crime, and it said that people with lower resting heart rates are more prone to violence.  Interesting factoid.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16113422-the-anatomy-of-violence

"Raine illustrates how impairments to brain areas controlling our ability to experience fear, make good decisions, and feel guilt predispose us to violence. He contends that killers can actually be coldhearted: something as simple as a low resting heart rate can give rise to violence. "

Leah, mother of dogs

#artbydmcbride

Reading that made me feel violent.......and my resting heart rate is low

Runners run

OH LOOK EVERYBODY A NORMAL DISTRIBUTION! WHO'D HAVE GUESSED IT??

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, and sometimes I ...

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Reading that made me feel violent.......and my resting heart rate is low

Correlation is not causation.  The funniest part of the book was how my husband had about five of the eight major warning signs for physical attributes, plus several life history risk factors.  By all rights he should be a violent psychopath.  He isn't.  He is aggressive in going after what he wants in life, but kind and gentle and protective toward loved ones.  And his resting heart rate is in the 40's and he isn't even a runner right now (knee injury).

Leah, mother of dogs

jules2

Mine is around 60 / 64 and always has been guess that at 63 that makes me an aging hippy.  It is possible to have a high resting heart rate and be quick and I understand Jim Ryun is a case in point

my average heart rate for a race is 170/173 so 220 less my age as my max does not pan out

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

ymmv

My custom tailored training is designed to keep my resting heart rate above zero for as long as possible.

My resting HR at least when I've had a physical or dr's appt have been low 40's.  The Dr's I've had appt with must be familiar with endurance athletes as the question they first ask is "You training for a marathon?"  Last appt I was not training for a marathon and actually wasn't running more than 10 miles a week.  It was that day that I figured, huh well maybe this is a sign I need to be training for one.

Usually women's resting heart rates run higher than men's.

In response to women's HR, I find my HR is higher than should be when I'm running. It bothered me at first but now decided that since my resting HR is solid for a distance runner, I'm doing something right.  I'm back to perceived effort and focusing on goal paces when need be.

HermosaBoy

My custom tailored training is designed to keep my resting heart rate above zero for as long as possible.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Yeah, I tried to explain to the guy last summer that I run, a lot, and that's why my RHR is low.  He said, "Nope, sorry, a slow heart beat in only considered healthy when you are both young and a highly trained endurance athlete; at fifty-six you're too old to have a healthy resting heart beat of 42.

Hmmm, I guess it is impossible to be old and in good shape at the same time.  Smile

That's funny. When I go in for my yearly physical, and the Dr sees my low resting HR, he always responds, "Makes sense. You're a runner. Keep it up."

Latent Runner

Mine is around 60 / 64 and always has been guess that at 63 that makes me an aging hippy.  It is possible to have a high resting heart rate and be quick and I understand Jim Ryun is a case in point

my average heart rate for a race is 170/173 so 220 less my age as my max does not pan out

The whole 220-age thing is a crock of horse manure.  Yeah, it may work for some folks, but it can be horribly off for others.  In my case it works out to 220 - 57 = 163, and yet I was recently able to hit 190 at the end of my first timed mile since 1975.

Fat old man PRs:

Latent Runner

Well said!  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

Latent Runner

That's funny. When I go in for my yearly physical, and the Dr sees my low resting HR, he always responds, "Makes sense. You're a runner. Keep it up."

Yeah, my (former) doctor would always say the same thing.  Unfortunately two weeks ago he moved on into a new practice which specializes in cardiology; guess I'll need to find a new GP.  Sad

Fat old man PRs:

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Correlation is not causation.  ..

YES IT IS!!!

I can't do the poll because there is no slot for 150-160.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

YES IT IS!!!

I can't do the poll because there is no slot for 150-160.

I know, right?

I can't do the poll either - my RHR goes to 11.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?