What makes your run a 10? (Read 805 times)

I wish I could write how amazing this morning's run felt. Running trails for what feels like the first time. Alone, snow covered trails, complete silence except for the sound of my feet, the rhythm of my heart beat. Straight ahead the mountains are transfigured, gleaming, majestic seems such a tiny word. Trees on each side still green, so lightly dusted with snow. No road - no cars - no street lights - no pace to worry about. It's as if I am inhaling my surroundings. I feel completely at peace. I don't care how fast I am traveling - letting my legs set the pace, walk when I am tired - and it doesn't matter. Somehow, when I am on the road, on a subconscious level, there is always some goal to maintain/achieve. Still, this was a challenge, and I am sure tomorrow my legs will remind me of that. I can see that running these kinds of trails will make me strong. I have hope, once more, that I can evolve into the runner I want to be. The last two miles, just listened to "Orinoco Flow" over and over - endorphins in overdrive; I feel as though I am truly floating. Today, was running for the sheer joy of running in a way I have never experienced before. Magic. Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Cheryl, Sounds like a fantastic run. I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks so much for sharing it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I just got chills down my spine... Big grin
        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Imminent Catastrophe

Funny, a lot more of my trail runs are "10's" than my road runs.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Beautiful, Cheryl, so glad you you had such a wonderful, wonderful run.
            2009: BQ?
              Thanks - it was like a gift and I wanted to share - hard to explain to people who are not running obsessed Big grin BTW - I'm sure the next one will just feel like "work" Wink Trishie - I've been meaning to tell you - love that you have part of Desiderata in your siggy Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

I havent had a "10" run in awhile, I'm kinda jealous. Wink

Lazy idiot

Sounds like an awesome run, Cheryl. We should all be so lucky. I don't think I've ever labeled a run a 10. This has to be a mistake in my book, and you bringing it up has made me reconsider my rating scheme. Thank you!

Tick tock

btb1490

Nice! May you have many more just like it!

madness baby

Cheryl, that sounds so beautiful. I love that you shared that - I think it's made a lot of us peek through our logs and find those 10-rated runs. I have only one so far, an early morning run my first morning in Sydney, but reading my notes it sure was great to relive!
                      deb

Why is it sideways?

Cheryl--I'm jealous. Ain't no mountains in Nashville. But we do have a nice little park. You can ask Trent about that. I thought this article and video from Chasing Kimbia was pretty cool and speaks to the subject at hand. Sometimes when I have a run that's a "10," I imagine that I'm an elite runner. But that sense of effortless flight isn't always there for them, either.
                        Mishka-old log

A 10? Last night's run, definitely. I've had two 10's this year, the last one on July 30. The last one before that? I can't recall. As far as what makes it a 10...for me, absolutely flying, nearly sprinting, yet not feeling a hint of pain. My 10's are like an adrenaline rush that won't shut off, and gets more intense with speed. Go faster, feel more rush. Speed feeds it. It's incredible. Combine that with a night run, in the rain, and you get my run last night. Splashing through puddles, going off the sidewalk purposely to hurdle bushes, scaring the shit out of someone that feels the need to use the middle of the sidewalk. These runs are great, but cannot be summoned. They just happen. I just respond.
                            That run sounds wonderful! I wish I could experience that. Smile

Michelle

My most freeing runs have been in the cool rain (40-50F) getting drenched. I haven't run fast in awhile, but a run where it takes a little bit of time to collect myself afterwards rank up there.

Vim

Somehow, when I am on the road, on a subconscious level, there is always some goal to maintain/achieve.
                                Thanks for sharing Cheryl! That was so nice to read. And you nailed it- when you hit the trail, everything disappears and there's a "peace" that's usually hard to describe, but you just did it!! Smile