Is this normal ( or am I being a putz )? (Read 1211 times)

Ok, a little background first. I am male, 41, and have been running for just over a year. As in 13 months. I am pretty fit ( 50 - 60 push ups in a minute, able to do chins, can bench press my bodyweight etc ). I also have an unhealthy fascination with parentheses ( but that's a topic for another day ). I was a life-long gym rat until injuries forced me to drastically limit my weight work a few years ago. I have also been deep into yoga for a few years at a time once in my twenties and again in my late thirties. I first started running on a whim last February. Technically, it was the November before that, but I quickly developed shin splints and other injuries that forced me to give it up for the better part of that December and all of January last year. Ok, so I've been running since last February, and the first time I ran a mile without stopping last March was the first time in my life that I had ever done so. When I first started running I lived in the Tampa area and actually really loved running down there over the summer. I had no problem running in the heat whatsoever, and was genuinely afraid of how I would do over the winter when I moved to Toronto last August. Much to my surprise I not only survived running up here in the winter but I actually thrived. I ran during blizzards. I ran on snow. I ran on ice. Most of my runs are either 5k, 10k, or 15k. In the last few months I have added one 21k run every few weeks. I run, on average, 4 or 5 days per week. With the exception of the 5k most of my routes are at least partly over trails that are not maintained in terms of snow removal etc. The reason I kept running on them during the winter was because, to be honest, no one up here clears their sidewalks and there was no more ice or snow on the trails than there was on the sidewalks. The rest of the routes are over side streets, but if you have ever driven in Canada or been around Canadian drivers you understand where I'm coming from when I say that I feel safer running on ice pack in the middle of nowhere than on surface streets in Toronto. Ok, so here's my problem. I did something last Friday that I haven't done before. I quit after 6k of a 10k run. I just... stopped. I didn't want it anymore. Winter has refused to let go up here and it was maybe 2C out there ( I've run 10k at least a dozen times this winter when it was -5C or colder ), it was windy, and the ice packed trail that I was running just felt like it was tearing me up. Logically I know that it was tearing me up. The parts of the trail where the sun was shining through were softened to the point that the snow was reduced to tiny ice pellets that felt exactly like running on a beach. The parts of the trail where the trees blocked the sun were still solid ice and horribly uneven. These surfaces would alternate about every 100 meters or so and my ankles were constantly turning in or out on the uneven ice, and then snow pellets felt like quicksand. Yeah, whine whine. I have been running on this since November without an issue. In fact, I loved running on it. I loved knowing that there were only a handful of people still out there running on that mess. Still, there I was on Friday, 6k into a 10k, with only 1k of trail left before I hit the side streets and breezed home with the wind at my back, and I just stopped. I started to walk back to the last intersection, stopped, turned around and tried to make myself finish. I ran maybe 200 meters before I stopped and headed back again. I was done. So now it's Sunday. It's 2C again, with the hope of hitting 4C this afternoon. I had planned on running a 15k today. I went to walk my dog earlier and while it is 2C, there is a steady 20k wind that gusts up over 40k. None of the ice or snow is melting, and I just can't bear the thought of running out into that wind today. I thought about just doing a surface street run but again, I just don't want it. So now I'm negotiating with myself. I'll run the 15k tomorrow when it's supposed to be 8C, which is somewhere in the 40's, but it's also supposed to rain all day. Or, I can wait until Tuesday, 4C, rain, and high winds. As I type this I'm fairly certain I'll end up taking a few days off and running on Wednesday instead. I guess what I'm wondering is... why? I've been through bouts of being over-trained before in my gym days, and that's not what this feels like. Is it just winter fatigue? Does that happen to northern runners where, at the end of winter, you're just done with it? Or am I just being a big baby and I need to "HTFU". I mean, really, I thought that I had "HTFU" all winter. Seriously. Help me out here.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Oh Mighty Wing

i'm big on listening to your body and if your body wants a break to give it a break... could you be coming down with a cold? or have you been eating crapily lately? work been stressful? really there could be lots of unrunning related issues that are negatively affecting your desire to run... a couple days off will not hurt! I say if you are dreading the run take some days off!

Queen of 3rd Place

Answer one: Go ahead and take a break. Don't feel bad about it, that defeats the purpose. You'll be ready to go after a few days. Answer two: HTFU. Either one will work. Arla

Ex runner

Answer two: HTFU. Arla
          LMAO, I was going to say the same thing. I ran all winter in Toronto. I found the last 2 weeks to be great for running and I found the small residential streets completely bare. Sidewalks do suck though I'll give you that. ....... Just push through man! MTA: Welcome to Canada Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

Ahhhh welcome to spring...except when it isnt. It is really common to hit a "I am so freaking sick of running in this crap" point this time of year. My running partner and I have been going strong all winter and now grouse every run about the weather and the dark hours. Happens every year. The teasing temptation of spring makes this everlasting shit unbearable. The calendar says it is spring dammit, so where the hell is it? Take a little break if you want or go run on a treadmill for a few days (nothing gets me back out there faster than the dreadmill option) or HTFU and just do it. Whichever.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ahhhh welcome to spring...except when it isnt. It is really common to hit a "I am so freaking sick of running in this crap" point this time of year. My running partner and I have been going strong all winter and now grouse every run about the weather. The teasing temptation of spring makes this everlasting shit unbearable. The calendar says it is spring dammit, so where the hell is it? Take a little break if you want or go run on a treadmill for a few days (nothing gets me back out there faster than the dreadmill option) or HTFU and just do it. Whichever.
              I guess that pretty much sums it up for me! Big grin This was really my first whole winter running (in Michigan- I like parentheses too) and I made it through the whole thing. Actually, I enjoyed it, but some days were really hard to get out there...and stay out there. So I know what you mean. For me, I've found that I've completely wimped out with this weather. I've let my winter shield down and am ready for spring and can no longer mentally handle anything wintery. The only thing I'd add is if you don't want to take a complete break, make it easier on yourself. Go a shorter distance. Tell yourself you'll just get out there for x amount of time/ k's and usually you end up doing more once you're out there. If you don't, you know that's ok too. Even a day or two off might really change your outlook. Hang in there, we know what you're feeling!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me, I've found that I've completely wimped out with this weather. I've let my winter shield down and am ready for spring and can no longer mentally handle anything wintery.
                I had planned on doing my long run for this coming week on Tues...but have you looked at the forecast? 20+mph winds and snow/rain mix. I can't do it. Dane has half-days all week and did is being kind enough to take a half-day so that I can get my long run in...I hope he can switch to Weds. I don't think I can make myself run for 2.5 hours in that crap. We're at about 5 months solid of cold, wet, "wintry" shit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You're just normal. I did the full winter running gear this am and I was in a foul mood about it. I had a couple of weeks of high 30's and low 40's (Fahrenheit), but today was 22 F when I hit the road. I, too HTFU'ed the whole winter without much whining, but now I am just sick of the freaking cold and wind. Enough already. (Deep breath, big smile) Wink Now I feel better. Hope you will too.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(Deep breath, big smile) Wink Now I feel better. Hope you will too.
                    Wanna pass that joint, man...only way you could be smiling right now is if you're high. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Wanna pass that joint, man...only way you could be smiling right now is if you're high. Wink
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marcus...your avatar! Bwahahaha... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

It is really common to hit a "I am so freaking sick of running in this crap" point this time of year. The teasing temptation of spring makes this everlasting shit unbearable. The calendar says it is spring dammit, so where the hell is it?.
                          See my log for more information on how this works.
                          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Ask me why I live in the south? It is 56 F. Tuesday we are lookoing at 71 F. Now I understand why people run on treadmills.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ask me why I live in the south? It is 56 F. Tuesday we are lookoing at 71 F. Now I understand why people run on treadmills.
                              Umm, this is why I do NOT live in the south: Major Austin Weather Hazards: Flash Flooding; Summer Heat; Lightning; Tornadoes Hot Days Average # of Days Above 90 degrees: 111 Summer 2000 had 41 days at or above 100 degrees 100 plus days generally occur in June, July, and August but have occurred as early as May and as late as October Average # of Days Above 80 degrees: 198 Shocked Shocked Shocked

Go Pre!

LMAO, I was going to say the same thing. I ran all winter in Toronto. I found the last 2 weeks to be great for running and I found the small residential streets completely bare. Sidewalks do suck though I'll give you that. ....... Just push through man! MTA: Welcome to Canada Big grin
                                here here...I agree, and the weather today was beautiful....AND I have travelled the world and the drivers suck EVERYWHERE. Toronto is no safe haven but we do have some good drivers 'up here'.