When 5 miles feels like death (Read 780 times)

I was on vaca for 2 months, did a lot of running, but not as much as I normally do. Shorter distances, etc. Then I got a chest cold. Not a bad one. ( just coughing up nasty stuff from my chest and a runny nose ) I was sick for about 4 days and it ended around 7/21. Well, I feel like a 90 year old when I'm trying to run now. It is all I can do to finish 5 miles. This has been for the last 2 weeks. I feel out of breath and all I want to do is stop. It's awful. I'm beginning to think I can't run anymore. I've been running on and off for the last 20 years and have never felt this shi__y before. Do you think it will pass?

- Anya

zzz

any possibility of a bit of pneumonia?
      C-R

or bronchitis. I had a similar thing happen about 5 years ago. At least that's what the doc thought. A few meds and a short time later, things improved. Best bet here is to call Dr. Trent if he can tear himself away from that train wreck of a post on VO2max.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've never had pheumonia or bronchitis before. I don't think it is either, since I'm no longer sick. But, probably a good idea to get it checked out if it continues. It's weird. The worst part, I have a relay race at the end of September. I can't ditch it, but I'm not sure I can do it at this point! Embarrassed

- Anya

Prince of Fatness

Another thing to consider would be allergies. I heard that it is supposed to start earlier and be more severe this year.

Not at it at all. 

Ringmaster

I'd get it checked out. I had a stupid, productive, but wouldn't-go-away cough that persisted after a bad upper respiratory infection. Went for another round of antibiotics and what do you know? It's not the flu--it's allergy-triggered asthma. Who knew a spit-up-green-yuck-into-your-hanky cough could be indicative of asthma? Or that a person could go 30+ years with no signs of it and then get nailed? But, there you go. Which is why I'm suggesting, anything that doesn't go away after a few days, it's not a bad idea to go get it checked out. Even if you're not sick, if you feel out of breath there might be something else going on. If the doc says there isn't, maybe it's more like what I went through earlier this summer, where a combination of travel and heat and bad shoes suddenly meant I couldn't run. It did eventually go away, but like you said, I felt really nasty for a while there. There's nothing like your body not doing something you know it can do! Keep us posted.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

Giants Fan

I had something similar to you...had been sick,then thought I got better, but could never get my breath...I ended up having a fungus in my lungs....had to go on medicaton, took forever, but I did get better. Take care of yourself!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

OMG , allergy triggered astma or a lung infection sounds horrible. I guess I'll have to make an appointment. I've heard about getting allergies as an adult. ( I'm 40 and never had them before ) We just got back from a two month vaca in Alaska. I'm hoping I just picked something up there....

- Anya

Ringmaster

Smile My asthma isn't as bad as some, and very easily handled with controller meds. Yes, the lung infection sounds nasty. After the initial diagnosis I was a little bit freaked, wait, I'm asthmatic, I can't take this, I can't take that. In fact, even my neuro based his prescription for my migraines based on the fact that I'd been diagnosed asthmatic. But--best thing ever--the darn cough was gone! Alleluia! So, hopefully, you too will get an answer. That's the first step to five miles not feeling like death, maybe. Smile

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

Bugs

Do you think it will pass?
                      I was sick like that and kept running, still paying for that hospital bill. Developed TMJ at the same time and can't get rid of the dam thing now. Seriously I'd rest. Make sure you're drinking enough water. Consider going to the doctor.

Bugs