Mid-run nutrition/energy products? (Read 900 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Try regular jelly beans and jelly bellies as well as the sports beans.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I would be definitely interested in how different varieties would have different results. I won't have much time to do too much experimentation before my race on 9/16, but if I try something that works this Sat. I will most likely put it into practice for that 10mi. race, too. I still have about 2 months before my HM, so that's plenty of time to find what does and doesn't work--woot! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, interesting: From the Jelly Belly Sport Beans site. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gatorade should not be considered in the same table. The other attributes are all equivalent, more or less. In the end it should all come down to taste and personal digestability. At Pikes Peak, they had big bowls of regular jelly bellies. Man that was awesome!!!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gatorade should not be considered in the same table. The other attributes are all equivalent, more or less. In the end it should all come down to taste and personal digestability. At Pikes Peak, they had big bowls of regular jelly bellies. Man that was awesome!!!
            Really...? :makes mental note to go hang at that race just to steal a bowl of Jelly Bellys and make off with them: Seriously, there are few candies that I could become addicted to--Jelly Belly brand jelly beans and English toffee are about it (ooh, in the Winter the chocolate wouldn't melt, heh). Yeah, I thought it weird that they compared Gatorade, given that that's a beverage and the other products are all more solid-form. Gatorade serves a different purpose entirely. Interesting to see the comparison of calories, carbs, electrolytes, etc. I'm kind of wondering if the sport beans would upset my stomach the way straight sport drinks do. One more reason to do a comparison of those vs. regular jelly beans. k

~ Sarah Kay

I have a massive headache from trying to understand what I just read. I must go and lay down now! Confused
              What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
                Great topic & great info everyone!! I'm so glad this came up for a number of reasons: 1. I'm a complete wierdo about consistency, so gels & powerbars make me want to wretch! 2. The taste of Gatorade or other such drinks makes me absolutely ill too!! 3. Bananas help me, but after 8 miles smashed in to a Camelbak, I again have that consistency issue... I'm really liking the idea of the Star Crunch. I mean, seriously, who wouldn't want to eat a StarCrunch & say, "I had to for glycogen reasons." Seriously though, I'm going to try the SC. I always run w/ water, as one dehydration/weakness/dizziness/vomitting scene on the roadside was enough for me to learn my lesson!! But, after about 10 miles, water just doesn't cut it. I do granola bars sometimes. And I like the idea of dried fruit too...might have to try that one. Thanks, everyone, you have all been helpful. I'd been thinking about this too...man, it scares me when zoom-zoom & I think alike!! Shocked Side effect of many years of great friendship, I guess! Eryn
                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                  Ahhh...Trent, that is interesting. I do know that I was running a bit faster than normal for a weekly long run. We did about an 11:30 pace, where I normally would run 12 minute pace for a run of that distance (trying to keep up with Eryn, LOL).
                  I just want to state...for the record... I WAS NOT TRYING TO KILL HER!!!! Big grin Eryn
                  So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3