shoe sizing (Read 540 times)

Since I started running "seriously" I have been using the same shoe. I was living in Boulder, CO, at the time, so I went to a local running store where they did the whole video thing and prescribed me a pair of Brooks Adrenalines. Since then I have just bought that same shoe at various places when I'd find a deal locally or online. Also, I'm back in LA now, and there is a shortage of real running stores. I want to try a different shoe this time, so I'll probably wind up going to Academy and rolling the dice on what feels good. Anyway, my question is this - the guy who set me up with the Brooks told me that you should always go a half size SMALLER than your normal everyday shoe, to prevent slipping, etc. That made sense so I went with that, and it has worked out pretty well. Recently I started doing some 10+ mile runs and some 30-40 mile weeks, which is high for me. I had my big toenail start turning black, which was kinda cool but I didn't figure that would happen until way higher mileage. I'm just wondering if the half size small thing was incorrect. I have seen other posts where people recommend going 1/2 size larger than you normally would. What do you guys think?
      My thoughts.... Feet are going to swell. Shoe size varies from company to company. Since I've been running more, I've been using 11EE in New Balance and 45W in euro dress shoes. What I find out is I used to wear 12 and 13 in my late teens. I got 2 nice blood blisters under my toes after my first marathon.

Vim

bjoiner

I tend to go a half size bigger because of swelling. Really though, different shoes have different sizes so try them out and see what you like. The black toe could either be from too much room (your foot slides inside the shoe) or too little room.

Half Fanatic #846

I went from size 10 1/2 street shoes to size 11 1/2 or 12 running shoes (depending on brand), mostly to accommodate swelling and to provide extra room in the toe box to help prevent blisters and black nails. I just ran a half marathon in my 12's; no blisters, no hot spots, no chafing. I've always thought "slipping" was mostly controlled by the method of lacing. That's the first time I've heard of sizing down from street to running shoes, but apparently it has worked for you. I would go with what works, but I just can't imagine my feet being "restricted" that much. If you're still concerned, get re-evaluated at a different running specialty store to see what happens.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

The Greatest of All Time

I used to work at a running specialty store and we always sized a little big for the reasons havanarnr stated. I always fit people so they had a good thumb's width between the end of their big toe and the front of the shoe. IMHO if your toenail is turning black it's likely because your shoes are too small.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Manchild

Yea, I wear 1 full size larger than my true shoe size. It is recommended that one sizes "up" a half size. Black toe nails are not uncommon. I had them after my last marathon. I believe they result from not tight enough lacing... Good luck! Chris