Excited but who would get it? (Read 1095 times)

Ok I have 2 thing I am pumped about.... that only other runners would get... 1.) I am going to complete my first 50 mile week this week.. .and I am excited... not so much at the accomplishment... but rather that I managed to get there and I feel good... no injuries and every thing actually is feeling stronger and better than ever! I was worried about jumping up to 50 from the 38-40 I just barely touched in the preceding weeks... but I took a rest week and then was able to do it. I'll be carefull next week and take a double rest day if I need it but... I am excited I was able to get in the miles. 2.) I have been having this shoe issue where I liked these pearl izumi syncropace shoes but I only really got about 280 good miles out of them and I ran another 50+ on them knowing they were shot... so I got a new pair of shoes... different brand... ran 80 mile on them and developed a foot problem... changed shoes again... to another brand... and didn't really like the shoe... I had some issues with foot pain... I decided forget the poor wear I'm buying another pair of those syncropace shoes... so I found them on clearance from the company website... I readlize I will have about 220 miles on those shoes by marathon time which now that I think about it is ok.. but for some reason I was worried they might be more worn... Anyways I went back to the website and they were sold out. I emailed them and the directed me to the factory outlet store. I called them and they had 3 pair in my size and reduced price to $39. I bought all 3 and am seriously pumped about it... Basically I bought 3 pairs for the price of the only other shoe I have worn that didn't hurt my feet. So for at least the remainder of the summer an fall I am covered... I just have to find a store that carries Pearl Izumi to go try out the new models... OH one more thing... 2 of the pairs they had were in my favorite color (ORANGE)...
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OH one more thing... 2 of the pairs they had were in my favorite color (ORANGE)...
      That is the BEST part! Big grin I understand your shoe woes. I am down to one shoe that really works for me. I tried a shoe (Saucony Progrid Guide) recently that would be perfect were it not for the fact that it ate my left achilles. So I am also watching for deals like that. I take it the replacement/update of your shoe doesn't work well for you?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Newbalance 1220... poked me in the achilles Asic Nimbus... right foot issue where pinkytoe meets foot too wide for the shoe (which is my problem for most all shoes) Pearl izumi sycropace... liked it... really wore out sole. Nike air pegasus hurt my foot... felt great but arch to high as I flattened out the air in the forefoot... pushed on the soft tissue at the base of the 5th metatarsil on the left foot caused my foot to swell... it happed 2x with the shoe... gave up on it. Next shoe was... Saucony progrid 5 poked me funny on the left foot after 100 miles... and I figured how to lace the to make that go away (very very loose) but they just have a rough ride and at $120... I wasn't that interested in buying another pair. liked the funky thin laces though! they stayed tied really well! my only complaint with the pearl izumi is that I wear them out quickly... but at $39... I can deal with that... ... that is my story with shoes...
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

... that is my story with shoes...
          Ha...my story....I have wide feet, narrow heels and only pronate a little (which eliminates likes 95% of the shoes on the market). Most shoes are too stiff, too. My arches get cranky in a shoe that's not really flexible.

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

50 mile week for the first time. Well done! Smile I will hit 40 if all goes well tomorrow and look forward to the 50 in about 3 or 4 weeks so I understand you feeling pumped. Shoes - isn't this something we all struggle to adapt. You fnd a good shoe which takes forever and then some marketing bozo decides to change it and you are back to square one. I fought this crap for years and a friend of mine talked me into flats. I thought he was nuts since I was running in cushioning shoes. Well long story short - I took my time and transitioned and now run only in flats. Not a single problem and my feet/ankles are stronger than when I was playing soccer 10 months of the year. Not sure this is for everyone, but thought I would pass it along. Best part - I haven't paid more than $50 for a pair of shoes yet and I don't worry about wearing out the padding since ther is none.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Norm, I have been intrigued by flats, myself. My current favorite shoe is a lightweight, mild stability trainer. A couple of months ago I got to wear-test a shoe that is designed for speedwork and similar to a flat...very lightweight, no medial post, minimal cushion. I really liked it. Not sure if I'd be ready for that for more than just very short runs, though. But the thought is sorta tempting.

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Zoom - I just transitioned slowly. Three miles max once or twice per week on a treadmill or track. Added more each week and next thing you know, the $100 Mizunos I bought are now kicking around shoes (that just chafes me but what the hey - I'm German/Irish so I'm pretty frugal to say the least) Keep trying them. I think you will really enjoy it. By the way, wearing flats also helped my running form. You get instant feedback if you do something right or wrong.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Wow. I have been interested in try that out... Zoom we must have been cut from the same mold... I have a wide forefoot... narrow heal... pronate just a bit... and more with my right leg than the left... my left foot is about 1/2 size longer and is really nuetral but has a lower arch than the right... the right legs pronates mildly.. I have found that more cushoining means more roll on the right foot... and more stress on the inner ankle... more cushioning irritates... I am really a midfoot striker so I don't think I need that much cushioning. I heal strike down hill... and end up on my forefoot to toes on uphills.. but I am sure that is fairly normal... My thought was that flats would reduce the length of the torque arm (is that the correct term)... anyways the idea is high healls make turning the ankel easier than barefoot.... so thick soled cushioning shoes probably put more stress on the ankle (laterally due to pronation) than a flatter shoe... BTW thanks carmel.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So does anyone make flats for women? I have a hard time with men's shoes...the heels are usually too wide. Even women's shoes are tough. I'm pretty much stuck with NB because of fit issues. Thankfully my 902s/903s are so awesome. If NB ever messes up the 90X series I am f'd.

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

No clue on the women's running shoes since I'm a guy. I do wear bright colored shirts though. Clowning around I have NB 950s and really like them. On sale at JoesNewBalance express. I am flirting with trying the NB 152RC or 205RCs as someone recommended these. There are lots of really fast women runners based on how many ladies pass me during races and they are wearing racers/flats so there must be a good selection out there somewhere. Might be worth a question on the Gears and Wears forum ("Where do you buy your flats/racers"). Just a thought.

Try Puma maybe? Their last is narrower for sure. I may not be a girl either, but I like the complete prevail iv and like the shoes you've listed. I just bought my first pair after I rejected Saucony's Progrid Trigon Ride. The local running store has a great return policy, and I just took them back and took the Puma's instead. It's too bad about the Trigon, I loved Saucony's old Domain and the 'Type A' as well.

My legs are killing me

Great job on the 50 mpw! That is a really great accomplishment. And that is a great shoe deal! Your right, your fellow runners are probably the only ones who can feel the excitement. That's what makes this site so cool!
                            Congrats on the 50 mile week! Its quite the accomplishment! Isn't it amazing, looking back, that you were "only" doing 30 milish weeks a few months ago? When is the big race again? You seem like you're right on track to meeting your time goal (if its still that goal <-- in that it has gotten faster ;)). in="" that="" it="" has="" gotten="" faster=""></-- in that it has gotten faster ;)).>
                              May 18. Thanks...
                              mldrabenstott

Congrats on the 50-mile week. Milestones are always rewarding. Regarding shoes, something I did years ago was to find two different shoe models that feel comfortable. I alternate between them from day to day. Currently, I'm wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 and Asics Gel Kayano 13 -- both stability shoes with similar characteristics. Benefits to alternating: - The shoes give my foot a slightly different feel from day to day, which I think improves flexibility and adaptability. - The midsole has an extra day to decompress. I found I'm getting 350-400 miles per pair instead of 300-350 before my body starts to feel the wear. - If a model changes significantly, I have an automatic "fall-back" shoe. - If they get wet during rain or snow, I have an extra day to let them dry. I used to love the Asics Gel Creed before the model was scrapped. I lasted an extra 16 months with pairs I found on eBay. You might want to look for your discontinued Pearl Izumis there, too. Happy running, Michael