Question about base miles (Read 1164 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I am in the last week of the Couch to 5k training program and so I'm starting to look ahead to next week, and the next, and so on as far as training. The C25K requires 3 runs a week and I want to increase that so that I can get a good solid base of miles under me. What is a good base or is that a completely stupid question? My goals right now would be a couple 5ks and then maybe a 10k at some point. TIA.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The Greatest of All Time

I would simply add one more day of running about the same distance you have been running. Do that for a month. If all is well, add another day. Once you get up to 5 days per week then you can start lengthening some of those runs slowly.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        What Marcus said. But make sure you take my advice because Marcus is a lawyer and bills out at a much higher rate.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

A Saucy Wench

Yeah but Lank is an accountant so still overpriced. I, on the other hand, am a stay at home mom so I can give you the exact same advice and not get paid one red cent. MTA: But I will make you say please and thank you (which of course you already said).

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

The Greatest of All Time

What Marcus said. But make sure you take my advice because Marcus is a lawyer and bills out at a much higher rate.
            Big grin Big grin Big grin That made me laugh out loud. Thanks.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            theyapper

On the road again...

Every response made me spew. Thanks.

Paul

Hal Higdon's spring training program is a good way to add another day of running to slowly build up mileage. I started it yesterday. Check it out here.
                -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for the link, monnik.

Paul

SMART Approach

How much base is a general question? I have been running and doing CV activity for over 20 years very consistently with really no time off? I think I have a nice base. My 5K, 10K and half marathon times are in line. BUT, I only run 20 miles per week. I have an nice base. BUT, with low miles you need to limit faster work. Now if I can run 40 miles per week. I will have a stronger base can incorporate a bit more faster running and will perform better in races. If I go to 60 miles per week, ditto. I do think it physiologically takes time to build a solid aerobic foundation. If a beginning runner, give yourself a year of very slowly building miles and comfortable paced miles. You can throw in some quick striders and faster finish runs and in a bit of time some slow tempos but I would not be doing any fast longer intervals for quite a while if I were you. Occasional 5K racing is great way to build fitness and analyze your progress. These races will also be quicker for you to recover from than longer races when just beginning.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks for that information. I think my question about base miles was more along the lines of what's a good amount for a beginner to run per week. I realize the total base will increase with each week of work. So, if the last week of C25K calls for 9 miles (give or take), then next week when I'm done with the program, I figure I need to add to that total, but how quickly and toward what goal as far as mpw? 15? 20? I liked the advice Marcus gave about adding another day at the same distance for a month, then adding another the next month. Again, great insights. You're all really helping me a lot.

Paul

Teresadfp

One day at a time

After I finsihed the C25K program, I used the rule of increasing 10% each week. That seems slow when you're only at 10 mpw, but then it increases faster. Knock on wood, now I'm doing 30-35 mpw, and I haven't had any injuries and rarely any soreness. I figure I'm in this for the long haul, so I don't mind being very conservative.

SMART Approach

I think the 10% rule is fine, but I also really like to recommend to my runners to add a stress, adapt to it and then add another. i.e. you currently run 15 miles a week. For 4 next weeks, run 18- 20 miles. You then adapt to it. Then for next 4 weeks, you run 23-26 miles. Next 4 weeks 30 miles etc. I think sometimes 10% every week, can catch up with you. Just my opinion.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

Adding 10% per week becomes unmanageable once you get up in miles. If I did that I'd go from running 70 to over 100 mpw in about 4 weeks. That would be a major jump. Then in another 4 weeks I'd be at 150 mpw. It's a nice rule of thumb to keep from adding too much mileage all at once but really you need to pay attention to your body and do what you can handle.

Runners run

Giant Flaming Dork

I agree that 10% is a good number, and followed it all the way from 12mpw to 30. I didn't take a linear path, though. I like Higdon's (and probably others) idea of two stress weeks and then a light week. It would look something like this for you, starting at 9mpw - 9 10 8 12 13 10 15 16 13 17 19 15 (you get the idea...) The average is about 10% per week, but you're allowing your body a little bit of rest before you tackle new challenges in the next week. The steady upward 10% seems like a grind to me. I also like this because the changing distances every week forces me to pick different routes every time to make the distnaces come out. Some people, like my neighbor, just run the same two routes every time. YMMV

http://xkcd.com/621/

I am a new runner as well so what I say, take with a grain of salt. I think you have a good base when you can run everyday without a problem. I can now do this, 63 days and counting. I built up to 100 - 113 km weeks, runnig 5 and 6 times a week. All of which were at an easy type pace. I then cut down to 60km a week and ditched the off days. Currently doing a marathon training program and building back to 100k weeks, without need for an off day.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius