regaining my speed (Read 106 times)

keeponrunning

I've been running about 5 years now.  When I started out, I was 15 and ran mostly fast, hard runs (you're only young and stupid once, right?), focusing mostly on the 5k for XC and the 800m in track.  With relatively little training (read: 3-4 miles 3x a week), I ran a 21: xx 5k; after getting completely addicted I trained for a couple different 10k races by adding one long run per week, running the first in 51:13 and the second 6 months later in 49 00.  I did a 10miler in 1:24:33.  Shortly after that 10 miler, I injured my knee and ended up taking just shy of a year off.

Since I resumed running about 2 years ago, I've focused on keeping it fun and training smarter.  I used Hal Higdon's HM plan for a spring half this year, running it in 2:16: xx; I ran a 2:13: xx with a RW plan earlier this September.  I did a spring 10k in 55Tight lippedx on a hilly course this spring.  As is obvious by the times, I've lost a fair bit of speed.  I ran the highest mileage of my running life this summer with the RW plan so my endurance is pretty good.  However, I'm planning on a 10k the first weekend of November on my PR course, which is pancake flat and would like to regain some of my former speed.  Could some of the more knowlegable runners please give me some advice on regaining some speed without losing my endurance?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

drrbradford

Run a lot. Sometimes fast.

TripleBock

a) General foot speed and efficiency = Striders, hill sprints and running drills

b) Oxygen processing (V02 max) - Running closer to max HR (Not at max) ~ Either by shorter intervals with little rest (400s with 60 seconds rest) or longer intervals 1000s or 1200s.

b) Lactic Acid Clearing - 20 to 25 minute tempos, 4-5 x 1 mile intervals or 2x2 mile intervals

b) Aerobic Capacity - Medium long or long runs (10-15 miles easy)

a) Easy runs (30-60 minutes) at a comfortable pace to help you recover and get some general aerobic conditioning.

The a) can be done many times a week the b) are harder workouts and you have to have one or more easy days / recovery days off to get ready for the next work out.

Since you are coming off injury.  I would just run easy ~ Do some striders and drills after 2 of the easy runs each week and add 1 Lactic Acid Clearing run each week.  After being successful and not injuring yourself for 3 months then you can start thinking about adding other things

So basicall - Run a lot, easy mostly ... sometimes fast.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock