Nagging lower leg pain (Read 564 times)

So I'm not much of a runner yet, but have trying to be lately. In late November the inside of my lower left leg started hurting when I ran, right below the calf muscle kinda. It didn't hurt much really, so I just slowed down even more, stopped running on an incline, and hoped for the best. Unfortunately it got to the point where it hurt when I was just walking, at which point I took a full two weeks off. I eased back into running again and it was fine...until this week. Hurt a little on Monday so I took it easy, hurt a little on Tuesday but I did an easy long run anyway, took Wed and Thurs off but when I attempted the treadmill today it hurt. I've been going SO slowly and only running 3 or 4 times a week! Do I have to take more time off???? PLEASE say it isn't so. Honestly, running is therapy I can't afford to do without right now. Undecided
      Did you get fitted for shoes? There are a lot of running shoe stores that will look at the way you run and show you a shoe that would give you what you need, like support or cushioning. The shoe you wear to run makes all the difference. Smile Also, you should try icing it after you run.

Lia's Daddy

Sorry to hear about your injury. I wish I could offer some good advice. I have had a very similar injury since Thanksgiving. I think mine was caused by a combination of over-training (too much to fast) and wearing a pair of shoes a few to many miles. I have tried several things (including acupuncture). I rested several weeks over the holidays. I iced after every run for awhile. I wore a compression brace for awhile. I've done a lot of self-massage. Because I wanted to keep my base up I went right back to five and six mile runs after the new year. That proved to be foolish because after a couple of weeks I was in the same amount of pain I was in before. So I decided to take off some more time and just returned to running after another three week hiatus, This time I have started out slower. I have been doing three mile runs and taking a day off between runs. Wednesday I did five and a half miles in the morning. It felt good for the run but by the middle of the day I was starting to feel that dull aching pain. I took off Thurs. and Fri. and ran three and a half this morning and it feels fine. So, my advice, and there are a lot of people on this board with a lot more experience then me, would be to rest a little longer and come back with a lot of rest days, limited miles, and a slow pace.
        "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
        The Plodder

I am in a very similar situation. After finishing my first full year of running at Christmas, I had fairly lofty intentions of running well in my 2nd Half Marathon in March, making 2000km in the year, and possibly running another HM sometime in the year. I had upped my mileage during the last couple of months of the year up to around 25 mpw, which isn't a massive amount, but i felt ok with it. Then around Christmas i started getting a quite a bit of stiffness after my runs, and a bit of pain coming downstairs the next morning. Gradually over January this got worse until at the start of February I just couldn't run. I had bought new shoes to replace ones that i had over 600 miles on so wondering whether the combination of worn shoes and too many miles are taking their toll? Work has been pretty busy the last few weeks so i have not had the opportunity to go out, but I know I couldn't do it anyhow. Am going to see a pysiotherapist this week, and although I now now that my March HM is out, hopefully I can get back in shape to tackle one later in the year. I think I need to use the time to lose a few pounds at being 210lbs+ will not help my ankle! But having had a year of basically being able to eat what I like because of my runs, its going to be doubly hard to shift the weight. Have had a couple of tries on the rowing machine at my gym, and that seems to give a pretty good work out - so think will try that for a while, although doesn't compare to being out clocking up the miles. Good Luck
            Thanks for the replies. I've pretty much decided to run through it, and just watch my milage. I just got back from a run and am feeling a similar slight pain on the right side this time - I'm wondering if it is my shoes. I only have about 200 miles on these, but I didn't get them at a running store....I've never been fitted for a running shoe. I know I really should be. Good luck to the rest of you!
              I'm having similar issues. I'm dealing with these nagging little aches in my lower legs that are only painful in the mornings and sometimes when I first start to run. Other than that it's fine, but it's not going away it seems. It started out after I had built up my miles to 20+ for several weeks for the first time, running most of that on concrete sidewalks. I've switched to softer surfaces which has helped a little, but it's still there. My first race of the year is next weekend, I'm planning to cut back on the mileage this week with just 2-3 hard runs before then, then rest for a week or so afterwards.