Torn Meniscus Surgery (Read 65 times)

Master of Inconsistency

Hi,

I was wondering how long it may take to get back to running or any issues you may have had after this surgery.

I know I will have to take it slow ,and probably won't be able to start for at least 8 weeks . Just curious how other runners may have dealt with this .

Thanks , Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

joescott

It took me well over a year after ACL reconstruction + meniscus partial removal to get back to "normal."  It felt like forever at that time.  Had a couple of do-overs, too, where I had to just back off or stop and wait for the knee to calm down again before starting to ramp back up.  On the up side, I ran a marathon PR 20 months post-surgery.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

delicate flower

Like Joe, my meniscus tear came with an ACL tear.  Twice, actually (2009 and 2013), though I wasn't a runner for the first one.  I bounced back somewhat quickly after tear 2.  I started jogging a little five months after surgery, and set a 9 minute HM PR (1:36) seven months after surgery.  I've since run four marathons.   Without the complication of a ligament tear, your recovery should be much faster.

As far as how to deal with it, just do what you are told and listen to your doctor and therapists.  If you're told to ice and stretch three times a day, do it.  If you are told you can bike and elliptical, do it.  If you are told to hit the weights, do it.  Eight weeks is a blip on the radar.

I didn't experience any complications or setbacks.  Things all went pretty smoothly and right on schedule.  After two major surgeries with basically every ligament in my knee being torn at least once, it does get grumpy from time to time, especially in cold weather.  Just a dull ache.

Good luck, Greg.          

<3

stshipley7

I had a torn meniscus (medial) and had a partial meniscotemy (removal, NOT repair) of the tear. Basically they cleaned it up. I was back running after 7 weeks (I had doctors permission after 6, gave it an extra week to be conservative).

-STS

Master of Inconsistency

Thanks folks , makes me feel better knowing this wont be too harsh , just got to get off my ass

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !