Soreness / Exhaustion between top of foot and leg (Read 120 times)

dalnor29

Redacted. Apologies.

A Saucy Wench

Try changing the lacing pattern on your shoes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Vermontergirl

I have suffered with this problem for years.  I used to stretch good too before and after a warming up.  I would also have tension extend from the top of my foot/ankle up the front muscle of my calf.  Eventually, once I was really warmed up, it would go away but it can be so painful in the beginning of a run.  Definately, make sure you're not tying your shoe laces too tight (that was an issue with me) but I also discovered that rolling my calf muscles before each run has basically cured the problem.  I just got a foam roller for Christmas and it has done wonders for this problem.  I still stretch too.

Mr MattM

Try parallel lacing to keep pressure off the top of your foot

Lacing

be curious; not judgmental

Lots of lacing options HERE.  Including Lydiard lacing, as explained HERE and HERE.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

dalnor29

Great, thanks all!

It didn't even occur to me that the problem might be in the laces. I tried one shoe normal (lots of X's) lacing, and one with parallel lacing, and there was a noticeable difference between the speed of onset of soreness. I will experiment more with this.

If it persists I'll maybe try rolling out my calves.

Thanks again. Will update if nothing's working.

A Saucy Wench

Not in all my shoes, because the way the shoe is cut seems to make a difference, but in one type I have the left shoe laced so that it goes to the farthest back hole at the ankle and then back down to cinch in on the heel and be fairly snug and on the other foot I have the shoe tied 2 lower than normal and no laces at all in any of the upper 3 holes.   But in general front ankle fatigue I have gotten when the laces are too tight across the ankle

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Great suggestions on the lacing. My wife has been complaining about this same type of issue, so I am going to share this with her.  I even tried the Lidyard lacing just now, myself, and WOW! Is it comfortable!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.