question withdrawn (Read 1255 times)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ohhh...MI peeps, we got another empty thread to play with... Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ha! It was originally a rambling question that I posted after getting back from the orthopedist. Essentially, he told me that running and swimming were better ideas than running wrt my joints, esp my knees. I was just looking for people whose experience contradicted this.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you bowlegged? My FIL was very bowlegged...he ran. I think he needed motion control shoes, maybe, but he was fine. He ran the Chicago Marathon back when my hubby was a kid. ETA, I do recall now that he had orthotics, so maybe that's something to look into.

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Ha! It was originally a rambling question that I posted after getting back from the orthopedist. Essentially, he told me that running and swimming were better ideas than running wrt my joints, esp my knees. I was just looking for people whose experience contradicted this.
            Why not leave it up longer? Let it gestate a little. Wink

Tick tock

Think Whirled Peas

Ohhh...MI peeps, we got another empty thread to play with... Evil grin
              42. no...wait...SCREW YOU TREBEK! er, this thread has gone horribly, horribly wrong...BAH! Crap...too many of these threads, can't keep up. And I like it!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Thanks Drew. I suppose I should have, but it got some 66 views and no reply and I thought "Maybe this is utterly idiotic". Plus, I must have some inexplicable need for the cool people on this forum not to think I'm uncool. I pictured them looking at this and going IS this guy? In any event, originally I posted that I went to the orthopedist for hip tightness and subsequent knee soreness. He diagnosed it as bursitis and ITBS and prescribed antinflammatories and physical therapy. I asked his view of running and he said he wouldn't recommend that one take it up. I am 31yo, 5' 6", 161 lb and my kneecaps point outward. I thought maybe I should lose weight before running or not do it altogther because I am not biomechanically built for it. I was wondering whether others had input.

Lazy idiot

Thanks Drew. I suppose I should have, but it got some 66 views and no reply and I thought "Maybe this is utterly idiotic". Plus, I must have some inexplicable need for the cool people on this forum not to think I'm uncool. I pictured them looking at this and going IS this guy?
                  I read it once, but didn't have anything to offer you in the way of advice... so I kept mum. But I'd guess that someone has at least anecdotal advice for you. Don't be too hasty and let the "cool kids" ruin your time here. It's all good.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

If it helps, those are the same issues that I have dealt with off and on in my own running over more than a decade. Those issues are proof that you are a runner, not that you shouldn't be one.
                    Ringmaster

Well, I saw the original thread, (which I didn't think was rambling) and I didn't have any specific advice about whether you should run or not. But just the very general advice I've been given is to go to orthopedists who actually run themselves (I got a name from a marathoing friend). And I think this is because a lot of them, the first thing they tell you to do is, stop running. But an orthopedist who runs might be more sympathetic to your desire to stay on the road and find alternative ways to heal your problem. That's not to say that some injuries don't require rest. But some doctors seem to think that running is bad on the joints, and that's not a doctor who's necessarily going to give you the most run-friendly advice, kwim? I'm not sure if this helps your specific question, which is why I decided not to post originally . . . but someone might come along and give you more helpful thoughts.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                      Mile by Mile

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks Drew. I suppose I should have, but it got some 66 views and no reply and I thought "Maybe this is utterly idiotic". Plus, I must have some inexplicable need for the cool people on this forum not to think I'm uncool. I pictured them looking at this and going IS this guy? In any event, originally I posted that I went to the orthopedist for hip tightness and subsequent knee soreness. He diagnosed it as bursitis and ITBS and prescribed antinflammatories and physical therapy. I asked his view of running and he said he wouldn't recommend that one take it up. I am 31yo, 5' 6", 161 lb and my kneecaps point outward. I thought maybe I should lose weight before running or not do it altogther because I am not biomechanically built for it. I was wondering whether others had input.
                        I started running at 6'2" and 270 bills...everything hurt, all the time, often intensely. I used to play basketball quite a bit but gave it up after my SIXTH knee surgery (ACL reconstruction). I thought running might destroy what was left of my knees and maybe it was a bad idea to keep running. So I kept running. Slowly. I bought real running shoes. I kept losing weight. Things stopped hurting. My knees haven't felt this good in literally 15 years. Go slow, give it time. Running hurts at first. Running might be a problem for you, but it's worth a second opinion. Find a doc who is a runner, or works with runners. Get his/her opinion. You might be surprised. Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go slow, give it time. Running hurts at first. Running might be a problem for you, but it's worth a second opinion. Find a doc who is a runner, or works with runners. Get his/her opinion. You might be surprised. Q
                          Also make sure you are in the right shoes. How did you select the ones you have now?

~ Sarah Kay

Also make sure you are in the right shoes. How did you select the ones you have now?
                            First thanks so much, guys. I went to a running specialty store and was fitted for asics gt 2110's. The guy said Kayano's were also a good option and I now alternate GT 2120's and Kayano XIII's.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, the Kayanos gave me knee issues, but mostly 'cause I think they just were too stable for me. Wink How many miles do you have on your shoes? Might they simply need replacing? Another thing to consider is that your stability needs may change as you become more fit--mine definitely have. I started out in moderate to high stability shoes and now am in a very low stability shoe and can run a few miles here and there in neutrals without much trouble. So having your gait reassessed at some point may be a good idea, too. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Heh, the Kayanos gave me knee issues, but mostly 'cause I think they just were too stable for me. Wink How many miles do you have on your shoes? Might they simply need replacing? Another thing to consider is that your stability needs may change as you become more fit--mine definitely have. I started out in moderate to high stability shoes and now am in a very low stability shoe and can run a few miles here and there in neutrals without much trouble. So having your gait reassessed at some point may be a good idea, too. Smile
                                REassessing gait definitely did not occur to me. Thank you. The Kayanos have 90 miles and the 2120's have 144.