Just got invited to do the NYC Marathon (Read 516 times)

Ojo

Can I pull this off? I started training for a fall marathon and then decided not to because of some set backs. Now I am feeling better with only some minor back issues and have been running regularly again. Please look at my log and see what you think. If I pick up my training schedule I could do 16 this weekend then 18, 20, 22 and possibly a 24 every other weekend. Just a little background that I did do a full 5/4. I know this wouldn't be my greatest race but I could just do it and have fun. Since that marathon and some injuries I am running slower in general. I do feel obligated to do it as someone actually invited me through a major company -- at the moment I am torn between being totally excited and throwing up! Blush Thanks!

Sara

MM #2929

JakeKnight

You've already done one. And while your mileage is relatively low, your training is consistent And it's NYC. Are you saying you've got a guaranteed entry? No lottery? If so, unless you've got a real chance of serious injury, I'd run it in a heartbeat. Even if just as a long training run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

From a two-time lottery loser: DOIT! You don't need to PR, just enjoy.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

missy1102

i ran it last year and it is my all-time favorite marathon. i actually wished that i hadm't been so serious about pursuing a PR so i could enjoy it more and soak it all in. DO IT. i think every marathoner should run it at least once Cool
          milkbaby

Just do some long runs around 16 to 18 miles long and you'll be all set! Just go and jog it easy, talk to the other runners, and wave and hi-five the spectators... You'll be surprised how easy it'll be compared to trying to run as fast as you can! Good luck and enjoy!
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
              do it. DO IT! is my initial response. then ... have you run NYC before? is it a dream? do you have to pay, or are most costs picked up? what might you do w/out doing NYC? what are your setbacks? that's just dumbass grownup practicality creeping up. I will stuff it back down and say, go for it. Big grin i say you got the base, you got the experience your belt. and i bet that excited/sickness tornedness is really yearning. so do it.
                YES - i think you can do it, but you need more long runs..up to 20 or 22...........your pretty close now....... Good luck....and dont forget to post a race report....... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ojo

Thanks everyone! Yes, this has actually always been a dream of mine. I grew up outside of NYC and we always celebrated my Grandfather's birthday the first Sunday in November (he died at the ripe old age of 94 right before 9/11) as he lived right next to Central Park. I do have to pay, which is fine, and luckily I did not sign up for anything else. It is beginning to sink in . . . and I am excited! Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

at the moment I am torn between being totally excited and throwing up! Blush Thanks!
                    I like that one Big grin. Normally I discourage people from running marathons without have more mileage than what you have so far. Also there have been some injury problems. However, your mieage actually isn't too bad and this sounds like a great opportunity for you. My biggest concern would be the injuries. Not sure that you need to go as high as 24 during training. If you can get in 2 or 3 in 20-mile range and be consistent between now and then you should be fine. Your last sentence that made me laugh also sold me. It's ofen the way we need to feel in order to really commit to something. Good luck to you. I beleive you can do this.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33