Second 5k RR - Slightly disappointed dad, victorious son - long (Read 527 times)

So I ran my second 5k yesterday. My first was a bridge run in December, with a time of 27:41, but I've trained really well since then: I've added 3 miles to my longest run, and I've brought my weekly mileage up from about 12 mpw before the 1st run to a high of 20 mpw before the second. I was primed to totally destroy my previous PR. Well, it didn't quite turn out that way, but I learned a good deal in the process and still managed to actually have a good time. Actually, probably a better time than I would have had if I had hammered it like I had hoped to. So, my 5yo son has become interested in running since he sees me running regularly (actually, he only knows that I do, but doesn't see me doing it since I run at 4:45 AM or so...). I told him about the "Kids Fun Run" before the race, and he was sold. We 'ran' a few training runs in preparation, which mostly consisted of a few blazing sprints (despite my admonitions to take it slow and pace yourself) followed by walks to catch his breath. Oh, and he also got some "N shoes" like dad's (New Balance) to make him faster. Smile He'd never actually managed to run a full 1/4 mile to this point, though he did get pretty close in our last training run. He also mentioned to my wife shortly before the run that he was "at his race weight" (a phrase he picked up from me as I was losing a couple in the weeks before). The time finally came, and he lined up at the front, and he was amped (of course, what 5yo isn't?). The kids took off at the horn. He was passed quickly by the bigger kids, but he plugged right along and ran the whole way, with dad following along at a safe distance. He was very excited and proud of finishing, and talked repeatedly about how he "swerved and zoomed" around the kids that were walking. We were all very proud of him. After the fun run, I made a dash for the porta johns (a little too much hydrating close to race time). And here begins the course to a slow time. The men's line was twice as long as the women's line and slower moving, so I had only about a minute from the porta john to race time. I was stuck in the back of a 1000 person race with a goal time of about 25 minutes. The horn sounded, and it took a good while to even make it to the start mat. I started my stop watch at the mat and tried to make my way forward. I passed people for what seemed like a long time. I noticed that I was breathing easy compared to those around me but still passing them, so I hoped I was doing ok. I kept looking for a 1 mile marker, but when there were 12 minutes on my watch and I'd still seen nothing I knew I either missed it or it wasn't there. I had no idea what my pace was, so I kept it up at a steady pace, still passing, though frequently getting stuck behind clumps of slower folks or walkers. Finally at 19:14 I saw the 2 mile marker, so I knew my goal time was already toast. Nevertheless I picked up the pace, but tried to hold back enough not to blow up in the last 1.1 miles. I came to a place that I knew was close to the finish and really picked it up then, starting to really move, then began to kick after hitting the last turn where I could see the finish. I was flying at a full sprint at the end, clearly too much left back on the course, finishing in 28:31, :50 off my last 5k. I was a little disappointed, knowing that I'd dropped my goal time so seriously, but at the same time, I knew exactly where I'd gone wrong. I lined up way too far back. Had I started closer to a group running at my goal pace, I probably could have made a nice PR, but so far back, my judgement of my pace was very poor, as I was passing people steadilly while running at a pace well short of what I could have maintained. Missing the first mile marker also hurt me significatly. One mile off pace could have been made up for a little, but two miles was way too late to be making up my pace. Also, other than the kids fun run, I didn't get a chance to warm up at all, so I was starting dead cold, but know from my training runs that it can take me up to 2 miles to warm up fully, so I planned my pre-race poorly also. On the upside, I ended feeling strong instead of totally wrung out, and on reflection, the first two miles were actually really enjoyable. Also, I'm not even really sore today, where I could hardly walk the day after my first 5k. And finally, I know with even more training, I will well and truly destroy my previous record next time I go out, which will be a while, since I've got son #2 arriving in a couple of weeks.
    Brandon

Think Whirled Peas

Nice job Brandon! It's great that you know what you feel you did wrong and can plan better for the next race. I'm guessing every race will teach you something, if you're always objectively looking for answers. That's really cool about your 5yo too. Sounds like you'll have some family competition before too much longer!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Another Passion

Live and learn. You were out racing and, that's what matters the most. And ditto to Q on your 5 yo getting out with you. Very cool. Congrats and... hammer that PR next race!

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Ringmaster

Hey, the most important thing of all is that no race is ever wasted. You learned something, and that's critical. I hope I am as good as you at using every race to analyze my training, preparation, and strategy and get better--not just at the running part of the sport, but every facet. Kudos to your son on his first Fun Run! My daughter is 4yo and I'm not sure she's quite ready for even that quarter miler. That's quite an accomplishment. And #2 arriving soon--that's even better! Build up your threshold--the real endurance even starts soon! Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

he "swerved and zoomed" around the kids that were walking.
            It sounds like you're not looking at his new shoes properly, I think they are actually Z shoes. Z stands for Zoom, there's a gal from Michigan that's an authority on the subject. Big grin Sounds like some high quality father and son bonding, what a nice way to spend time together.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Smile
              Brandon

Hey, nice marmot!

You know what would be fun, in a super-nerd kind of way? Measure your kid's stride length and divide it into yours. Then use that factor to scale-up the distance he ran so you can determine how far the 1/4 mile "felt" to someone his height. Just a thought. You could even go as far as to quantify an adjusted minute/mile pace for him, however, even though I don't have kids, I'd suspect that quantifying a 5 year old's athletic performance might be a bit unhealthy.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

You know what would be fun, in a super-nerd kind of way? Measure your kid's stride length and divide it into yours. Then use that factor to scale-up the distance he ran so you can determine how far the 1/4 mile "felt" to someone his height. Just a thought. You could even go as far as to quantify an adjusted minute/mile pace for him, however, even though I don't have kids, I'd suspect that quantifying a 5 year old's athletic performance might be a bit unhealthy.
                  Smile Your thinking is right up my alley (as a fellow engineer) but I'm unfortunately too busy with baby preparations (not to mention lazy... ok, lazy is the primary reason) to go to that sort of trouble. It's really an excellent idea though. As far as kids running though, I noticed in the race results that there was a 7yo that was the youngest finisher of the full 5k and did it in 31:03! There was an 8yo that actually beat me handily at 21:59!!
                  Brandon