I'm rollin' (Read 150 times)

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

So after being a runner for a loooong time, I finally bought my first foam roller.  It is just a cheap one I got at Walmart, blue color so I assume it is in the mid-range of firmness.

i got it because I can't seem to beat the IT band issue I am having in my right leg.  I have incorporated six strengthening exercises (hips and glutes) into my weight routine and am being consistent with stretching post run.  I also reduced my weekly mileage from around 80 miles to 40-50 miles.

First of all, can I just say "Ow!!!"

Holy crap, that thing hurts.  I thought I was tough but this thing makes me gasp out loud.  I am pretty sure I am using it correctly, but I am not getting any reduction in pain the way the instructions describe.  It says that I should feel the muscle relax after a few seconds.  I worked on my leg for about five (excruciating) minutes and it never got any less painful.

Granted, I only just bought it on Friday, but everything I read online about foam rollers made it out to be like a miracle cure for IT band.  I can still feel the pain I was having when I go down stairs.  I am planning on going for a run this morning and I don't have a ton of optimism that my pain will be any better.

My questions are this:

1.  Do I just need to be more patient and keep up with the rolling 2 - 3 times a day, for a few minutes at a time (about all I can stand)?

2.How long does it take before the foam rolling has an effect on the IT Band pain?

3.Do I need to reduce my running mileage further?

4. Am I just being a total baby about the pain I feel when using the roller?  I swear, I would almost rather get a rib tattoo than FR.  It feels like I am going to break my damn leg on that thing.  But maybe that is normal???

Any helpful advice would be deeply appreciated.  And my apologies if this aspect of foam rolling has already been covered.  I tried doing a search but wasn't able to find previous threads that dealt with timto until recovery and the level of discomfort.

Leah, mother of dogs

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Here's a great link to an article about ITBS. It got me running again pain free in about three weeks. I'm sure those strengthening exercises will help, but apparently the big one to work on is the hip abductor. The article gives a few good exercises, and I added a lot of balancing stuff to that.

As to the roller, here in Taiwan I can't find one anywhere, so I've never tried it. Best of luck!

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Thank you!  That was by far the most comprehensive article I have ever read on the topic.  I will have to sit down and read it again carefully, but upon a five minute review it looks like I am doing all the right things, except for not running. Smile

It has been two weeks today of foam rolling.  It definitely hurts less to do it now.  I'm not really having much knee pain, although I am having some hip pain and a bit of pain in my hamstring.  I got frustrated with the lack of progress and did some long runs this week and it didn't seem to make a difference in the pain.  Pretty much it hurts the same amount no matter how far I run, although I do have a few miles of relatively pain-free running during every run.

Thanks for you help on this.  If you can't get a foam roller where you are, I have heard of making your own with some PVC and foam.

Leah, mother of dogs

Very nice blog. Thanks for sharing!

Here's a great link to an article about ITBS. It got me running again pain free in about three weeks. I'm sure those strengthening exercises will help, but apparently the big one to work on is the hip abductor. The article gives a few good exercises, and I added a lot of balancing stuff to that.

As to the roller, here in Taiwan I can't find one anywhere, so I've never tried it. Best of luck!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

DoppleBock

Sounds like you are doing it correctly.

Holy crap, that thing hurts.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !