Marathoner Wannabes (Read 1055 times)

I want to run a marathon...eventually...some day. It's a goal. It's out there waiting for me. I've been running for a few years now. I started getting semi-serious last summer when I ran my first half. Just finished another half and I'm inspired to run a marathon (the whole 26.2). But I'm also a little humbled (terrified) by the distance and time committment it's takes. Is anyone else out there a "marathoner wannabe"? Anyone have concrete plans to run their first marathon in the next year? Which one? What's your strategy/motivation? Sara
      I am in the maybe someday category. Right now, I just want to get back to running daily. I will see how things go and perhaps try for Fort Worth's Cowtown Marathon in February 2008. My goal would be to complete the distance while keeping an easy steady pace. I probably would not have run a half marathon as soon as I did had I not found this website "What's your strategy/motivation?" It's just something I want to do. "If these old(er) folks can do it so can I!"

Vim

va

Hi Sara, I prefer the term "marathon gonnabe"! Big grin concrete plans: I am running the Richmond Marathon on November 10th. motivation/strategy: I am trying to get my act together, i.e., to learn how to eat right, exercise more, lose weight, and live a healthier lifestyle. Training for a marathon, requires a long term commitment, the kind I want to make, to be healthier. I signed up in January, 11 months ahead of time, and told as many people as possible, so there is no backing out.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is anyone else out there a "marathoner wannabe"? Anyone have concrete plans to run their first marathon in the next year? Which one? What's your strategy/motivation?
          This weekend I will be running HM #2, then #3 about 5 weeks later in Grand Rapids, MI. Next year I am planning to train for the "real deal" in GR. My motivation...I don't know, I guess to say that I've done it. I may never run another one after that, but I want to at least train for and complete one. After that I might go back to HMs (I really like distances from 15-25k). I think the time committment is not going to be something I can handle every year. I am amazed by those who run multiple marathons/year...where do they find the time to get all those miles in consistently?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

concrete plans: I am running the Richmond Marathon on November 10th.
            Wow, that's great! I do the same thing (telling everyone) about my races so I stick to my plans too! Best of luck!
              My motivation...I don't know, I guess to say that I've done it. I may never run another one after that, but I want to at least train for and complete one.
              Me too. I've got about 15 months before I turn 30. I want to check it off that list. And I'm secretly hoping I love it so much I want to do a few more. Wink
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And I'm secretly hoping I love it so much I want to do a few more. Wink
                Me too. Though if I don't I won't be heartbroken--I know I enjoy shorter distances that are still very challenging and keep me motivated, so I'll be cool with things either way. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PWL

Has been

I'm running my first on Oct 7th (the Maine Marathon). My motivation was because I wanted a goal to help me quit smoking and because my wife wanted a training partner. Now she can't run the race for health reasons so only I am running it. Go figure! Big grin

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Well this fits me to a T, see my avatar and siggie. Smile
                    I prefer the term "marathon gonnabe"! Big grin
                    Now that's an awesome quote, and shows the importance of attitude in the whole process. There was a recent thread on the attitude adjustment that came from changing from "running" to "training". In the same thread, you'll find this nugget of wisdom: the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry form.
                    I signed up in January, 11 months ahead of time, and told as many people as possible, so there is no backing out.
                    This has been key for me as well, on a number of occasions when I would rather just sit on the couch I headed out the door because of the embarrassment potential. It's definitely a wild ride, on the one hand it's not a big deal. Pick a training plan and stick with it. In my case (so far) it's Mission Accomplished. I'm following Galloway's run/walk "to finish" plan, and have been fortunate enough to complete all my scheduled runs with no injuries to speak of. On the other hand, it's terrifying. I've completed two 20 milers, but I still have runs of 23 and 26 miles scheduled. At the end of my first 20 miler, I felt like a steaming pile of dawg stuff. The second 20 miler restored some of my confidence, but I'm still very concerned. As the actual date approaches, the possibility of failure begins to loom large. What if the weather is horrendous? What if it's just not my day? What if I stub my toe two days before the race? What if, what if, what if....... I would just HATE to see it all go down the tubes, but that's a chance you have to take. When I'm a bit down, I just think of what I would tell my kids. As long as you can honestly say you made your best effort, you CAN'T fail.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I've been running about 5 years now but something happened to me in January. I happened to be in Disney World for the marathon and I got inspired. I signed up for the Disney Marathon on Jan 13, 2008. Since registering I have gotten a lot more serious about my running. I ran a HM in March, I've run 17 5Ks, and a 5-miler. I have a 5K on Sept. 30 and a HM on Oct. 6. My Marathon is getting close and I am getting scared but I'm not going to back down and Im going to put in those miles. Ive been telling everyone that I know that Im running the race so there is no backing down now. I discovered this site in August (from my good friend BadBadBadBadDawg) and I love it.
                        I'm right there with Stephen in the "Gonnabee" category. My first will be the Marathon 2 Marathon on October 13th. I have a few goals for this race - in no particular order: don't die, don't leave the finish area in an ambulance and don't live up to my RA screen name. My main strategy is just to trust that the training plan that I'm using will get me to the finish line while meeting these goals. What's my motivation? I don't know. It started out being one reason and then morphed to other reasons. Besides the obvious things like better fitness, etc. my current motivation is along the lines of going farther than I've gone. I've learned to love breaking through what I thought were my limits - whether they are speed or distance related.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

smc3720

As some one who has just ran his first marathon, I can tell you the biggest factor is your attitude. If you are going to run, you are a marthoner. Plan it, and commit to it, then do it. Set up your training plan and do it. And when the time comes you will be ready. Even if everything you plan does not work out, go for it. I did. I lost a month in June and was back to step two in July because of a foot injury. But, when September came I decided that I would do it, Maybe I could have ran faster with more training, but if Ihad waited for perfect, I would never have run. So then best thing you can do is make your plan, and go for it.
                            I am in the Gonnabee category.
                            Fixed that for you there, Modal. Run a marathon or run the El Scorcho 50k next summer. Evil grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

After just doing my first marathon I can say that I'm very happy that I did it! Having the support of friends makes it easier and fun. Good luck and enjoy. Smile

Michelle

I'm right there with Stephen in the "Gonnabee" category. My first will be the Marathon 2 Marathon on October 13th. I have a few goals for this race - in no particular order: don't die, don't leave the finish area in an ambulance and don't live up to my RA screen name.
                                October 13th is JUST around the corner. Those are excellent goals, here's hoping you kick ass.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.