5k / 10k warm up (Read 122 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

By time, by distance, with / without strides or what not?

What is your preference?

steph  

Feeling the growl again

If it is cool, ~3 miles very easy with a few strides at the end.  If it is hot and especially humid, down to as little as a mile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Usually 20 minutes of very easy running (both warm up and cool down), after warm up jog, a few drills like butt kicks, high knees, skips, and strides.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

I like to run the full course of a 5k if it's not too hot out. Usually I'll do the first mile really slowly and gradually pick it up...maybe throw in a couple of race pace surges in the last mile. Then I'll do 2-3 strides right before the start. For longer races I'll do 1-2 miles depending on weather/motivation; the longer warm-up only really seems to benefit me for 5ks.

jeffdonahue

10-15 minutes really easy, with 5-8 20 yard pickups thrown in at the end.  I usually do this about 20-30 minutes before the race adn then hit the portapotty again before heading to the start.

About 10 minutes easy, some dynamic stretching, another 10 minutes easy and then 5-6 strides. If it is a smaller race I like to finish no more than 10 minutes before the start.

Birdwell

question time,

I hear lots of recommendations for "strides" as part of a warm up, or speed work.

I've tried to sort through YouTube to find a decent explanation of it, but I realize I don't know what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a good video explanation of Strides anywhere they'd care to share?

(my last warm up for a 10K was awful. The warm up was great, timing was perfect until they delayed the race by 30 minutes because only one person was working the check-in table, and not everyone thinks it's important to get there 45-60 minutes prior to the race. 2/3 of the field showed up at 7:55 for an 8:00 a.m. start)

ZZCaptainObvious

question time,

I hear lots of recommendations for "strides" as part of a warm up, or speed work.

I've tried to sort through YouTube to find a decent explanation of it, but I realize I don't know what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a good video explanation of Strides anywhere they'd care to share?

(my last warm up for a 10K was awful. The warm up was great, timing was perfect until they delayed the race by 30 minutes because only one person was working the check-in table, and not everyone thinks it's important to get there 45-60 minutes prior to the race. 2/3 of the field showed up at 7:55 for an 8:00 a.m. start)

Strides (as I understand them) are a short burst of acceleration from easy to near a sprint. Not flatout, but enough that you feel like you're going fast. Personally, I tend to do about 80 meters accelerating from a standing start to roughly race pace and then back down to a standstill. Basically, get your legs turning over more quickly. Try different things though. Some people like doing longer strides.

Also, ugh on the 10K. That's pretty awful...

some call me Tim

I like to run the full course of a 5k if it's not too hot out. Usually I'll do the first mile really slowly and gradually pick it up...maybe throw in a couple of race pace surges in the last mile. Then I'll do 2-3 strides right before the start.

This, exactly. It's a good warmup and having the course fresh in your mind is often very helpful. I failed to do this recently on a poorly marked course and made a wrong turn and lost two places and a potential PR in the process.

Walk-Jogger

By time, by distance, with / without strides or what not?

What is your preference?

For a warm-up at anything up to a half-marathon, I make a point of jogging out the first mile of the course to locate the 1-mile marker, very slowly, then run back to the start slowly, throwing in several fast strides along the way. Then I keep moving around until the lineup for the start of the race. In cold weather I might do a bit more really slow jogging. In hot weather I would probably do less warm-up.

Retired &  Loving It

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks, every one.

steph  

#artbydmcbride

I like to jog out and check out the last mile.  It is helpful especially if there ia a turn or hill at the end to see where that last kick should start.  Big grin

Runners run

B-Plus

I like to do about 20 minutes of easy running and then a couple of strides.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I found this article from RW to be very helpful with my last few race warm ups:

5-K WALK OR JOG 15-30 minutes STRIDES 8 x 100 meters 10-K WALK OR JOG 10-15 minutes STRIDES 6-8 x 100 meters