Barefoot running with temps in the 30s...? (Read 529 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I almost forgot about this. For about the first 2 miles of my HM I was just behind a woman who was running barefoot...which normally I think is a little nuts, but when most people are wearing gloves and long pants she was wearing no shoes or socks. Call me crazy, but I think she was! Tongue Plus a few miles of the race route goes through industrial park littered with broken glass, rusty nails, and all sorts of hazardous debris. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I almost forgot about this. For about the first 2 miles of my HM I was just behind a woman who was running barefoot...which normally I think is a little nuts, but when most people are wearing gloves and long pants she was wearing no shoes or socks. Call me crazy, but I think she was! Tongue Plus a few miles of the race route goes through industrial park littered with broken glass, rusty nails, and all sorts of hazardous debris. k
      Yeeps. I can't imagine running barefoot on areas that I don't know are clean ... rusty nails, eeps!
      2009: BQ?
        I ran with her for 3-4 miles at some point too, that was crazy. She was so tiny, I'm pretty sure my beer belly would drive rocks right into my feet!
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Not so unusual among barefooters. As long as it's dry, temps in the 30s aren't really a problem once you're conditioned. And forty years ago, most people would have called you nutty for running at all. Same thing here. It only seems weird because it's unusual. There's nothing inherently nutty about it. Big grin
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Skin heals. Thick skin is warm. Calluses have no nerves in them.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Calluses have no nerves in them.
              That's what a few of us who noticed her decided must be the case. She looked very comfortable. Sounds like she did the full marathon, too, wow! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay